There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

*** San Jose Sharks 2014 Off-Season Thread ***

Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
These are the top UFA Defensemen this off-season, sorted by Time On Ice:

http://www.capgeek.com/ufa-finder/?position_id=D

What about Andrej Meszaros? 28 years old, and has been productive. Different player than Boyle, at about 6-2 220.

Feel likes he's been around forever,

Wonder about mark fayne of devils and if Larry Robinson coached him

*shrug* I dunno. Not sure what other legitimate options we have as far as young potentially great defensemen. We'll clear a lot of cap space without Boyle on the books. Heck, and if we can somehow get out of Havlat's deal, that's even more cash for DW to work with. We have to keep Wingels. I would love to keep Sheppard too, he's been terrific on the energy line. Hannan has been solid, but I think he, Boyle, and Mike Brown will not return. We may opt to bring up Mirco Mueller full time next season and let him start if they think he's the next great young defenseman.

Sharks just released the latest prospect report on 5/5: http://sharks.nhl.com/v2/ext/MEDIA/20140505-prospectreport.pdf ... Based on that ...

Most likely new Worcester Prospects:
F Barclay Goodrow - Led his OHL team in points and goals and was rated among the top 3 penalty killers in the league.
F Sean Kuraly - Should move up to Worcester after finishing senior season next year.
F Chris Tierney - Top 10 goal scorer in OHL, voted smartest player in league coaches poll, had 89 points in 67 games with +44 rating.
D Isaac MacLeod - Just finished senior season at Boston College. Had 11 points (all assists) in 40 games with +8 rating.

Current Worcester Prospects with Shot at NHL in 2014:
F Freddie Hamilton - Has already seen NHL action and did fine as a rookie. Tore up AHL. Should get more time in 2014 at NHL level.
F Travis Oleksuk - Went on scoring terror last half of the season in AHL. Good candidate to get some NHL time soon.
F Daniil Tarasov - Consistently a top scorer and leader in +/- for our AHL team. Think he got hurt, but could make NHL jump soon.
F Eriah Hayes - Played in a few NHL games and looked OK. Has shot to get more time next season.
D Konrad Abeltshauser - Made major strides second half of the season, improving in every area. Finished with 21 points and an E rating.
D Mirco Mueller - Developing quickly. Had nice WHL season, and did well with Swiss at WJC. Saw first action with AHL late this season.
D Dylan Demelo - Was called up during playoffs, but never used. Still developing. Had 24 points with Worcester. -17 rating.
D Matt Tennyson - Has already played a few NHL games. Still developing and unproven, but has talent and could get more time with spots opening up.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 6, 2014 at 4:44 PM ]
I think we might be able to swing a trade, but we have so much depth, I don't think it will require a big-time forward. I think we will try to find the "Jamie McGinn" of defensemen out there. Following up on what I mentioned above. If some of our AHL guys are able to make the jump next season, we could be looking at this as a potential line-up.

Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels
Kennedy-Desjardins-Sheppard
Depth: FA, Freddie Hamilton, Burish, Havlat

Vlasic-FA/TradedPlayer
Braun-Demers
Stuart-Mueller
Depth: Tennyson, Irwin

Burish sucks at everything except the PK, Kennedy did little, and Havlat is always hurt or inconsistent now. I would try to trade any of them.
what day does Free Agency begin?
did they blow the sh*t up yet?
big decisions looming for Wilson
McLellan and Doug Wilson are both returning next year. Wow just wow...
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

I'd be more surprised if they didn't to be honest.

Boston bruins didn't shake the team up after a 3-0 deficit either, not to surprising
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Trade Thornton for an upgrade on D

Pavelski or Burns as Capt

Ryan Callahan is available we should target him
Boston bruins didn't shake the team up after a 3-0 deficit either, not to surprising

Not for nothing the bruins are a lot better of a team then the sharks.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Trade Thornton for an upgrade on D

Pavelski or Burns as Capt

Ryan Callahan is available we should target him

he's going home to buffalo plus he has leadership skills but he always hurt and not worth the money he wants.He is never going to be more then a second more like a third line center.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by diehardnyninerfan:
he's going home to buffalo plus he has leadership skills but he always hurt and not worth the money he wants.He is never going to be more then a second more like a third line center.

Good point but he wouldn't be a top center on our team

I have a feeling there going to bring Boyle back - don't really want that
Boyle and Havlat won't be back, and Burns is moving back to defense.

The Sharks owner issued a statement today, I do think we'll see at least one significant change.
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Boyle and Havlat won't be back, and Burns is moving back to defense.

The Sharks owner issued a statement today, I do think we'll see at least one significant change.

It's a bummer because Burns was such a force on offense, but with such immense offense depth and a MASSIVE amount of offensive talent waiting in the wings in our farm/Worcester, Burns will make more sense on defense in terms of overall value to field the most complete team on offense and defense.

Burns will give us everything Boyle could and more, although maybe not as gifted as a skater. He has a powerful, laser shot, a vicious check, and the attitude and grit to clear players out of the paint in front of our net-minders. I love seeing Burnsy on offense but can admit that from a balance standpoint putting him back on D may be the best option right now. So the potential line-up then could be..

Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Wingels
Torres-Sheppard-Nieto
Hamilton-Desjardins-Kennedy/Burish
Competition/Depth: Oleksuk/Hayes/Pelech/Tarasov/FA Pickup

Vlasic-Burns
Braun-Demers
Stuart-Mueller/Irwin
Competition/Depth: Tennyson/Demelo/Doherty/FA Pickup

Blowing it up is a knee-jerk reaction. Entire team and staff need to learn from what I would personally see as the greatest failure in not only franchise history, but also in their careers. It's an ENORMOUS motivating point. You have something like what happened to us occur, and the team will work to make sure it NEVER. EVER. EVER happens again.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM ]