Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

*** San Jose Sharks 2014 Off-Season Thread ***

Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
ryan miller's a FA right?

I thought you were done?

said "I think"
I think the Sharks need to move on from Joe Thornton as team captain. Whether they see what hes worth on the trade market, or just replace him as the leader, he cant keep the C after this sorry showing. He wasnt the problem in this series, but he sure wasnt the answer either. Captains need to step up in the playoffs. They need to slap some sense back into a team that started looking scared. Instead he blended in with everyone else and kept trying to force passes. He had a couple great scoring chances that he just predictably backed down from to pass.

If Patrick Marleau is almost going to get run out of town for the teams playoff failures under his watch as Captain, then Thornton has to be held equally responsible. The Sharks need a guy who has the personality of a leader. Maybe its Pavelski? Maybe hes not on the team yet.

Ive heard people blaming the defensemen for this collapse, and while I agree that they played poorly, and had no chance after Vlasic went down, the blame falls on a lack of mental toughness from the leaders, and poor puck movement by the forwards. As a team captain, and the 1st line center, Thornton HAS to take responsibility for those 2 shortcomings.

This team just doesnt know how to succeed in the playoffs. They dont seem to understand the physical and mental toughness required to win a cup. They fold at the slightest sign of adversity. They need a leader who has a fire in him, and an ability to take over a game. Obviously they dont grow on trees, so maybe trade Thornton to get that guy.

Even though goalies have crappy trade value, maybe we see what Stalock can do with the starting job, and package Niemi with Thornton for a superstar type guy? This team needs to be shaken up somehow. Maybe we just fire McLellan, but there needs to be some kind of change.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
I think the Sharks need to move on from Joe Thornton as team captain. Whether they see what hes worth on the trade market, or just replace him as the leader, he cant keep the C after this sorry showing. He wasnt the problem in this series, but he sure wasnt the answer either. Captains need to step up in the playoffs. They need to slap some sense back into a team that started looking scared. Instead he blended in with everyone else and kept trying to force passes. He had a couple great scoring chances that he just predictably backed down from to pass.

If Patrick Marleau is almost going to get run out of town for the teams playoff failures under his watch as Captain, then Thornton has to be held equally responsible. The Sharks need a guy who has the personality of a leader. Maybe its Pavelski? Maybe hes not on the team yet.

Ive heard people blaming the defensemen for this collapse, and while I agree that they played poorly, and had no chance after Vlasic went down, the blame falls on a lack of mental toughness from the leaders, and poor puck movement by the forwards. As a team captain, and the 1st line center, Thornton HAS to take responsibility for those 2 shortcomings.

This team just doesnt know how to succeed in the playoffs. They dont seem to understand the physical and mental toughness required to win a cup. They fold at the slightest sign of adversity. They need a leader who has a fire in him, and an ability to take over a game. Obviously they dont grow on trees, so maybe trade Thornton to get that guy.

Even though goalies have crappy trade value, maybe we see what Stalock can do with the starting job, and package Niemi with Thornton for a superstar type guy? This team needs to be shaken up somehow. Maybe we just fire McLellan, but there needs to be some kind of change.
I agree with with you said but
No one is trading a super star for Thornton and Niemi lol.

I'd like to get a young talented defenseman for Thornton.
[ Edited by Garcia on May 3, 2014 at 6:50 AM ]

I agree with with you said but
No one is trading a super star for Thornton and Niemi lol.

I'd like to get a young talented defenseman for Thornton.

I didnt say it needed to be Sidney Crosby. It would still get us someone good though. Id love to get Shea Weber somehow.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
I read that Doug Wilson wants McLellan and his staff going forward. Very interesting.

Doug Wilson doesn't know he's getting married too

I think he saw what happened to the Canucks after getting rid of Vigneault. As much of a crybaby as he is, Vancouver fans were ungrateful and helped force the hand in the firing of the only coach to get them to the Stanley Cup Finals in years...

McLellan is a great coach, but like all of the coaches on the team have said, (to paraphrase) "We can only do so much as coaches. We can pep talk and fire up and motivate and coach up guys all day, but in the end, we can't force someone to play at the level it requires to win if they don't put it upon themselves to take what they've been equipped with -- or blessed with in terms of talent -- and get the job done."

I do not want to see this team sink to the depths like Vancouver. We can compete every year. This is the harshest, but the most MAJOR learning experience this team will face. We need emotionally strong, cool under pressure players to take over the leadership of this team so we can overcome the on-ice problems.

Firing McLellan won't fix the issue. I see these as two key issues:

1. Top level defensive depth. Vlasic is our rock on defense. Without him, we're embarrassing. Boyle has lost it, and he and his contract need to go. If we can trade his rights, we should. Very nice vet, great skater, but wears down late and doesn't have the physicality we need. Let's hope our rookies Mueller, Abeltshauser, Demelo, Acolatse, Doherty, or Tennyson are ready to fill the void(s).

2. Player leadership. When this team plays as a team, they are unstoppable with their level of talent. When out of sync and playing like a bunch of individuals, they look like the worst team I've ever seen and get pounded by inferior teams.
I'd keep Boyle on a one year deal like Hannan, but I doubt he goes for it
Someone big name will go for a big name d player, we need a shake up. To get something good we have to give something good, I would go with stalock as the starter and no to paying Ryan miller a stupid contract who's 34. We just need to shore up our d, so we can have that lock up d you need in the playoffs
Originally posted by ads_2006:
I'd keep Boyle on a one year deal like Hannan, but I doubt he goes for it

Teams like Boston, Vancouver (in previous years), and LA have proven the dominant D takes the cake over a strong offense. Eventually, great defense will win. If you can slow the game down and keep it away from a good offense, you make it impossible for them to do anything, which is what they did to us. We don't have the package of defensemen to support that right now. Next year, I expect a new look on D.

Vlasic - ?
? - Demers
Stuart - Braun

Depth: Irwin, Tennyson?
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Guys, Boyle's contract is up, he is a free agent.
Guys, Boyle's contract is up, he is a free agent.

He's not coming back
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
He's not coming back

Yeah I know but some people seem to think he is still under contract

I completely agree, if only we never dealt Michalek
He's not coming back

Yeah I know but some people seem to think he is still under contract

We know he's not. I am hoping we can trade the rights to negotiate with him, like some teams have done with other expiring contracted players, for at least something so maybe we can get a little more out of him. If not, no big deal, we just free up 6.7 million that he was taking up. That gives us so much more room to navigate to get other defensemen (that are younger, stronger, and better). These are the players with expiring contracts this off-season:

Dan Boyle
Mike Brown
Bracken Kearns
Scott Hannan
Alex Stalock
James Sheppard (RFA)
Tommy Wingels (RFA)
Jason Demers (RFA)

And among rookies or farm players:

Taylor Doherty
Brodie Reid
Sena Acolatse
Travis Oleksuk
Harri Sateri
Matt Pelech
Marek Viedensky
John McCarthy
Nick Petrecki
Sebastian Stalberg
These are the top UFA Defensemen this off-season, sorted by Time On Ice:

http://www.capgeek.com/ufa-finder/?position_id=D

What about Andrej Meszaros? 28 years old, and has been productive. Different player than Boyle, at about 6-2 220.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
These are the top UFA Defensemen this off-season, sorted by Time On Ice:

http://www.capgeek.com/ufa-finder/?position_id=D

What about Andrej Meszaros? 28 years old, and has been productive. Different player than Boyle, at about 6-2 220.

Feel likes he's been around forever,

Wonder about mark fayne of devils and if Larry Robinson coached him