LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

*** San Jose Sharks 2014 Off-Season Thread ***

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
we keep drafting D, when we have no forwards....

i guess burns will be a forward for the upcoming seasons

You don't draft for immediate needs, its a bit more like MLB draft than NFL draft outside the top 10 picks. Outside top 10 picks, you just draft BPA/fits the type of player you want.

We don't have many impact forward prospects in our farm system iirc.
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Jul 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM ]
we keep drafting D, when we have no forwards....

i guess burns will be a forward for the upcoming seasons

You don't draft for immediate needs, its a bit more like MLB draft than NFL draft outside the top 10 picks. Outside top 10 picks, you just draft BPA/fits the type of player you want.

We don't have many impact forward prospects in our farm system iirc.

What do you mean? I've been talking about several that are touted as top 6 forwards.

To list them: Tomas Hertl, Matt Nieto, Freddie Hamilton, Daniil Tarasov, Dan O'Regan (record setting year last year), and Sean Kuraly.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
What do you mean? I've been talking about several that are touted as top 6 forwards.

To list them: Tomas Hertl, Matt Nieto, Freddie Hamilton, Daniil Tarasov, Dan O'Regan (record setting year last year), and Sean Kuraly.

I'm excited to see what Nieto does next year. I think he will start at the AHL, and maybe get called up mid-season or something
My Sharks all-rookie team (players already in the AHL or in the juniors about to be in the AHL):

Forwards:
Matt Nieto - Tomas Hertl - Sebastian Stalberg
Travis Oleksuk - Freddie Hamilton - Daniil Tarasov
Petter Emanuelsson - Rylan Schwartz - Brodie Reid
Chris Lalancette - Chris Tierney - Eriah Hayes

Defense:
Konrad Abeltshauser - Taylor Doherty
Dylan Demelo - Sena Acolatse
Mirco Mueller - Joakim Ryan

(Analyzing our defensive prospects, the cupboard is pretty much barren -- after the top 4, the next ones are draft picks from this and last year that will probably not be ready until at least next year at the earliest, although Mueller and Ryan look really good right now).
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I'm excited to see what Nieto does next year. I think he will start at the AHL, and maybe get called up mid-season or something

Same here. I believe he is touted as the fastest skating player in our entire prospect pool right now and he reportedly made AHL skaters look silly because they just couldn't keep up. I think if (or hopefully WHEN) we move Havlat, Nieto will get his shot - especially if he continues to do well like he started off with Worcester at the end of last season.
t.j galliardi gone to flames

sportsfan is estatic
  • Garce
  • Veteran

sportsfan is estatic

not a big galiardi fan - GTFO
Originally posted by Garcia:

sportsfan is estatic

not a big galiardi fan - GTFO

Nice. Got a 4th rounder for a guy whose production will likely easily be replaced by Kennedy or another speed forward. Galiardi just wasn't enough of a scoring threat and couldn't TAKE hits as much as he tried to make some. Simply not good defensively either.

In other news, we offered qualifying offers to:

D Petrecki and forward Marek Viedensky. Viedensky has some potential, he was productive in limited action with Worcester, but we'll have to see if he earns more PT. Petrecki is likely going to stay in the minors until he truly shows he deserves to be in the NHL. Right now, Worcester has like no depth on D.

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=676167
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jul 3, 2013 at 7:09 AM ]
I don't think this is news to anyone, but that pretty much cements the McGinn trade as an absolute bust. Gave up McGinn, a prospect for a guy who left right away and a guy who played here one year and at best was decent.

Some of Wilson's trades...
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I had no problem with Galliardi. Just didn't like him in a top six role where he doesn't belong.

Looks like Hertl is a lock to make the team now.
[ Edited by Hopper on Jul 2, 2013 at 9:37 PM ]

Originally posted by drunk49er:
I don't think this is news to anyone, but that pretty much cements the McGinn trade as an absolute bust. Gave up McGinn, a prospect for a guy who left right away and a guy who played here one year and at best was decent.

Some of Wilson's trades...

Classic DW is to give up way more than necessary for what you want, especially if he feels certain circumstances make them more expendable to him.

Originally posted by Hopper:
I had no problem with Galliardi. Just didn't like him in a top six role where he doesn't belong.

Looks like Hertl is a lock to make the team now.

I'd say if Havlat starts the season on IR, then yes. A good line set-up might be something like:

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Torres-Couture-Burns
Hertl-Kennedy-Wingels
Desjardins-Sheppard-Burish
Highlights of a couple of our 2013 draft picks:

Mirco Mueller, D

Gabryel Boudreau, LW

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jul 3, 2013 at 11:08 AM ]
Does anyone think DW is just about done dealing and signing people for the upcoming season? Sharks have 2.6 million left in cap space. Apparently that # is helped if Havlat opens the season on IR, but that number tells me we can't do much else without trading someone. Side note: Barring a big turnaround from Demers, I see us trading his rights possibly after this season.

There aren't any guys left unsigned that can be traded now.

Remaining RFAs:
Tyler Kennedy

Remaining UFAs:
Scott Gomez
Scott Hannan
Tim Kennedy
Thomas Greiss
Alex Stalock
Bracken Kearns
Doug Wilson makes it official that Brent Burns is a forward next season

resigned hannan for 1 million

signed kennedy for 2.3 mill for two years