LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 233 users in the forums

*** San Jose Sharks 2014 Off-Season Thread ***

• mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garcia:
I love Jason Demers and Justin Braun.
Especially Justin Braun. HIm and Stuart could be really good IMO together
They could be a good pair particularly on the penalty kill,but as a regular pairing it would mean you shift Demers either up to Vlasic which would work, or a pairing that already has an offensive Dman like boyle or burns. Can't really shift Demers to Vlasic unless we don't mind two right handed dmen(Boyle and Burns) together.

So as you can tell I like a certain balance between offense minded guys and defense minded guys. But ideally, the defensive guys would take more chances and get better at getting the puck to the net(vlasic and murray...But vlasic has made improvements to be fair) and the offensive minded guys would be better two-way players...Something I criticize boyle about.
Originally posted by NumberOneFan:
It's a conditional 7th round draft pick: http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8034372/san-jose-sharks-acquire-d-brad-stuart-detroit-red-wings

so basically we gave up next to nothing for exclusive negotiating rights. works for me.

per fearthefin if we were to pay him market value for someone of his caliber, we'd be paying 2-3.5 million a season. i'm okay with that. we have plenty of time to make the deal happen, and worst case we let him hit fa if he doesn't like what we're offering. we have all the leverage here and nothing to lose if it doesn't work.
Originally posted by drunk49er:
so basically we gave up next to nothing for exclusive negotiating rights. works for me.

per fearthefin if we were to pay him market value for someone of his caliber, we'd be paying 2-3.5 million a season. i'm okay with that. we have plenty of time to make the deal happen, and worst case we let him hit fa if he doesn't like what we're offering. we have all the leverage here and nothing to lose if it doesn't work.

I think we have two weeks to sign him. I think we'll get it done. 2-3.5 million a season isn't bad at all. But I think we'll pay him a little more (just a feeling).
it wouldn't surprise me if we did, but we really shouldn't give him anymore than market. he wants to be here and we need to have cap space to make other moves. dw needs to handle this one like a shrewd motherf**ker.
  • mike
  • Veteran
I think we have two weeks to sign him. I think we'll get it done. 2-3.5 million a season isn't bad at all. But I think we'll pay him a little more (just a feeling).
That's how I feel too. Murray makes 2.5, Stuart > Murray. Brooks Orpik makes 3.75, Stuart is more similar to Orpik imo. He wants to be here, but we aren't going to bully him into a really cheap contract. I still figure murray's going to end up traded which means that cap is off the books.
Originally posted by drunk49er:

he will be traded if we cannot sign him

maybe during the draft
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:

maybe during the draft
lol, trade the rights to talk to him a week before the rest of the NHL gets to talk to him? What are they going to get for that?
Originally posted by mike:

maybe during the draft
lol, trade the rights to talk to him a week before the rest of the NHL gets to talk to him? What are they going to get for that?

Not saying we wont sign him

just saying thats what will happen if we cant reach a deal, you would just get the 7th rounder back
FML

f**k you brodeur
f**k you steve bernier lol

*sigh*

it took them 44 years, we still got 23 before we're worse.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Not saying we wont sign him

just saying thats what will happen if we cant reach a deal, you would just get the 7th rounder back

And I'm Just saying even that isn't worth a 7th rounder. A week isn't enough time to make that worth it.

We basically gave up a 4th liner who would have been released, and a 7th round pick, for almost a month of exclusive negotiating rights. Why would a team then give up a 7th for a week during which all they probably can accomplish is giving their agent an offer with the agent's response being something like "okay we'll wait a week and see how that stacks up" lol. It's really pointless and a waste of a 7th for that team.

Also, from our team's perspective, we're going to keep trying to hammer out a deal until 12 am July 1st. Trading the 7th and letting another team get exclusive rights also makes no sense unless you've essentially given up on trying to sign him.
  • mike
  • Veteran
I know it's silly to look back at history and wonder "what if that trade never happened" but seriously...The campbell deadline trade is still hurting us lol. f**king steve bernier.

and I don't think you can really blame Brodeur, he was keeping them in it most of the series and the only reason they didn't get swept. Your goalie is your best penalty killer as they say, but the kind of penalties they took were just the dumb undisciplined ones. Can't do much about those.
[ Edited by mike on Jun 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM ]
I still want to keep Murray, honestly. Until we find a young guy ready to replace him among our 8-deep group, whether it's Doherty, Demelo, or whoever.. I think we need him around for that physical presence.

Vlasic-Burns
Murray-Boyle
Stuart-Braun/Demers

All those lines can get good PT. We would only need to add one more guy, probably an experienced player, or they could possibly look to a young rookie too.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:00 PM ]
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I still want to keep Murray, honestly. Until we find a young guy ready to replace him among our 8-deep group, whether it's Doherty, Demelo, or whoever.. I think we need him around for that physical presence.

Vlasic-Burns
Murray-Boyle
Stewart-Braun/Demers

All those lines can get good PT. We would only need to add one more guy, probably an experienced player, or they could possibly look to a young rookie too.

Stuart not Stewart, confused me for a second there lol.

You don't need 8 experienced dmen you need 6 and then those prospects you mentioned can be perfectly fine to fill in for injuries as necessary. Plus we almost always get a cheap veteran 7th dman for occasional spot duty(in the past its been guys like leach, staubitz, ect). 7th dman is not a huge need and usually doesn't play serious minutes(if any, healthy scratch) unless there are injuries.

Stuart fills in the top 4 over Murray pretty much guaranteed. He's just a better overall defenseman. He's not as physical as Murray, but that's not a knock on Stuart he's plenty physical. Then you have Braun and Demers as a perfectly fine pairing. Add Murray into the bottom pair mix and you take time away from young guys like Demers and Braun who need every minute they can get to improve their own games. There also just aren't many fringe 6/7th dmen making 2.5 million a year.

Hockey players also don't have the ability to restructure contracts. I'd keep him if he was 1-1.5m a year which is what purely physical role players are paid.
Share 49ersWebzone