There are 209 users in the forums

*** San Jose Sharks 2014 Off-Season Thread ***

The tribute and round of applause for Nabby was a awesome moment.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
The tribute and round of applause for Nabby was a awesome moment.

Yeah it was standing O
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Another blown 2-0 lead
Same old sharks
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Looks like it's going to be one of those nights were the Sharks put 60 shots in net but only score 1 goal

I swear, the Sharks whole offensive strategy is flawed. They take tons of shots, but most of them are sloppy and forced. Their passing is not up to par with a title contending team either. They dont really seem to have much of a plan outside "shoot as much as possible, and camp guys in front of the net for rebounds".

Other teams seem to take much smarter shots. Obviously its an unfair example, but look at how the Caps use Ovechkin. Most of his goals come from him camping outside the goal on the wing, and just waiting for a pass he can one time right in. Its designed.

Im hoping Hertl can become that elite goal scorer hes starting to look like. We need someone who creates his own shots.

Still cant believe we lost home games to BOTH the Sabres and Islanders...
[ Edited by Niners99 on Dec 11, 2013 at 1:54 AM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
I swear, the Sharks whole offensive strategy is flawed. They take tons of shots, but most of them are sloppy and forced. Their passing is not up to par with a title contending team either. They dont really seem to have much of a plan outside "shoot as much as possible, and camp guys in front of the net for rebounds".

Other teams seem to take much smarter shots. Obviously its an unfair example, but look at how the Caps use Ovechkin. Most of his goals come from him camping outside the goal on the wing, and just waiting for a pass he can one time right in. Its designed.

Im hoping Hertl can become that elite goal scorer hes starting to look like. We need someone who creates his own shots.

Ovechkin takes the most shots in the league, lol.

But I do agree with you and I have been saying this for years. McClellan needs to go, IMO. His system deprives the players we have from using their talent and ability to create chances. I think a more freewheeling offensive style would suit these players.
Originally posted by Garcia:

But I do agree with you and I have been saying this for years. McClellan needs to go, IMO. His system deprives the players we have from using their talent and ability to create chances. I think a more freewheeling offensive style would suit these players.

I don't know. I partly get what you're saying. But these guys just aren't clicking consistently at the moment. When they play as a team, they're unstoppable. Early in the year, they WERE making those elite tic-tac-toe passes that made them look like a Cup-contender team.

I think now they WAY overpass, get too cute, and simply put -- they don't do enough of the dirty work in games, especially if they have a small lead, they get soft on it. I hate that. They were doing OK, but that lead didn't feel all that safe because we were slacking in bursts.

Sharks will still contend, but they'll need to get hot. I just never know with this team.. I just don't blame McLellan though.
they have gone back to loading the top 6 (instead of having pavs center the 3rd line)

they are not as good when he isnt on the 3rd line
Originally posted by ads_2006:
they have gone back to loading the top 6 (instead of having pavs center the 3rd line)

they are not as good when he isnt on the 3rd line

Definitely. There's a massive difference when they balance the scorers across the lines.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Definitely. There's a massive difference when they balance the scorers across the lines.

I agree they overpass, especially on the power play

I agree they overpass, especially on the power play

Not enough crashing of the net. Too much "setting up" on the quick rushes. 3 pass or more on our rushes/forecheck/odd-man rushes is way too much. PASS-PASS-BOOM! or PASS-BOOM-CRASH! We need to strike, not get cute and let the opposing players have time to catch up and get in the way and/or in position to clear rebounds...

I get that Ovechkin is a special case, but the point is that the Caps design ways to get clean shots. The Sharks always look like an unorganized frenzy on offense. You can get away with it against average teams, but we look overmatched against the other title contenders.
We need quick strikes and need to play decisively against Minny. I want at least a two-goal victory.
We need quick strikes and need to play decisively against Minny. I want at least a two-goal victory.

Lulz
  • Garce
  • Veteran

we are getting goals early... the problem is we can't hold leads... scoring isn't really the problem.

It's letting off the gas pedal and that has to do with leadership and coaching, that is on Thornton and McClellan

we are getting goals early... the problem is we can't hold leads... scoring isn't really the problem.

It's letting off the gas pedal and that has to do with leadership and coaching, that is on Thornton and McClellan

When I say quick strikes, I don't actually mean score early -- I mean when we get on the rush, we have to stop wasting time and STRIKE! We overpass, get cute and slow things down WAY too much. I understand that patience is needed sometimes, but at A LOT of the time you just need to get into position and fire something to the net. Patience is fine on the forecheck and when you're just trying to establish zone time in general. But I'm talking about when they're in the process of a rush.

The Sharks don't get into position because they all spread out on the boards and pass to each other on their rushes and ruin the momentum they had.

On the powerplay right now is the GOOD that I'm talking about -- PASS-PASS-BLAST! PASS-PASS-BLAST! PASS-BLAST! No messing around, keep moving, have the proper guys get in position and BLAST those shots. People are swarming to the net and that's how you score.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 12, 2013 at 8:51 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone