There are 169 users in the forums

*** San Jose Sharks 2014 Off-Season Thread ***

Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by Garcia:
We have no money.

Sharks arent really in the business of over paying freeagents anyway.

The biggest problem is Wilson handed out so many NTC's.

Wilson was able to move heatly so trades isn't an issue. The issue is that teams do not want Thornton, patty, boulder. They want couture pavs, brain...other teams want our young guys. Would you wanna trade couture, pavs for nash?
I think we could find a team that would take Thornton in a second. I don't buy that at all.
I think we could find a team that would take Thornton in a second. I don't buy that at all.

the flames want thornton. Who would you want from the flames? Dont say iginla, cause they would obviously want to pair the two
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:

the flames want thornton. Who would you want from the flames? Dont say iginla, cause they would obviously want to pair the two

Don't know the Flames well. I know they traded away a lot of Talent. Daryl Sutter really f**ked that team up.
no1curr
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
no1curr

Then go post pad in another thread.

Thornton is signed to an extremely cap friendly deal with 2 yrs/14 mil remaining on his contract. You can't tell me more suitors wouldn't be interested in a number one center.
It feels like we're freaking rebuilding.
So, what are your playoff expectations for the league this coming season?

(My guess)

EAST
1. Penguins
2. Capitals
3. Bruins
4. Rangers
5. Flyers
6. Hurricanes
7. Panthers
8. Maple Leafs

WEST
1. Blues
2. Kings
3. Canucks
4. Predators
5. Wild
6. Sharks
7. Avalanche
8. Stars

Throwing in a few surprises. I think Phoenix regress and misses the playoffs.
I'm not feeling good about this upcoming season.

Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
I'm not feeling good about this upcoming season.

For some reason, I feel like we actually got worse, personell-wise..

If the coaches changes help PP and PK, that'll be great.. but we need 3rd and 4th line scoring presences. I think our D personell are maybe a little better but that's it. I think James Sheppard was a waste. I don't care that they gave him an offer. He was damaged goods and a wasted trade of a 3rd rounder. Best we can hope for is to hope we get a diamond in the rough surprising rookie star to come out of the AHL and stick with the NHL squad.

Marleau - Thornton - Pavs
Clowe - Couture - Havlat
Wingels - Desjardins - (someone)
Burish - Handzus - (someone)

Who's going to step up? Are we going to bring in ANYone? Probably scoop up some scrap-table scrub towards the beginning of pre-season like we did with Winchester. But the only real candidates I see for an offensive AHL guy that could come up to the big league and potentially stick are:

Sebastian Stalberg (outside chance)
Brodie Reid (outside chance)
Brandon Mashinter (an OK chance)
watch we win this year

but i expect dougie to make moves at deadline
  • Garce
  • Veteran
watch we win this year

but i expect dougie to make moves at deadline

There are no moves to make.
Doug Wilson has completely depleted the top prospects in the farm system.

I don't think Antti Niemi is an elite goalie.
I think Griess is better IMO.

I love Pavs... but I think he is about as good as he is going to get and I wouldn't mind trading him now to get some elite prospects....

This is it for the Thornton and Marleau Era. Ideally if we are out of it by the deadline I say ship them all the F out. Thornton, Marleau, Pavs, Clowe and maybe even Havlat.
Rejuvenate the farm system with some youth and rising stars.... probably can get some good value for them.

Maybe even Fire McClelland and Doug Wilson if we are that bad.
I hate McClelland as a coach, his strategy, dump and chase. The game has changed and found ways to defend this system, it's antiquated.... brainless.... mindless.... uncreative hockey IMO.

We have some real talented guys on the top two lines.... let them be creative and use there skills to make plays - anybody with half a brain can dump and chase... this team is underutilizing the talent they have.
[ Edited by Garcia on Jul 30, 2012 at 1:23 AM ]
greiss is not better than niemi. he's undisciplined coming out too far too often, which is potentially worse than niemi's lazy sinking glove.

this team isn't a bad one, if the coaching is better i expect them to make the playoffs no problem. the issue is can they deal with the grinder teams like phx, anaheim and st louis, they can hang with every other team out there. my one worry is they still lack speed, but maybe better coaching can offset the speed concern a bit.

sky isn't falling folks, at least not yet.
Thought this was kind of funny and neat -- "If Hockey was called by Soccer announcers" :

Share 49ersWebzone