LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 404 users in the forums

*** San Jose Sharks 2014 Off-Season Thread ***

Originally posted by ads_2006:
the person we miss the most is heatly

our 2nd line sucks

Heater was a nhl caliber sniper who could draw defensive coverage and draw attention

with Couture-Clowe-Whoever suits up that night, the defense just focuses on Couture-Clowe

roster isnt set, have to wait until trade deadline or midway point

Also, Demers seems to have regressed

This is why we badly need Havlat back. And Demers.. man, I think he just doesn't have a defense partner now that he meshes with. He needs someone on the left that can fire a pass back to him at the point and have him ripping shots on net like last year.

This year he just looks all out of whack, and so does the team really. Super disorganized. We should've never traded Seto. Heatley, fine, but we needed Seto's skating and this is why having 7 guys who can play on the top two lines is important.. if one goes down.. your entire team is doomed and suffers because they essentially take away everything and make you a one-line team... JUST like we were in the past.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
This is why we badly need Havlat back. And Demers.. man, I think he just doesn't have a defense partner now that he meshes with. He needs someone on the left that can fire a pass back to him at the point and have him ripping shots on net like last year.

This year he just looks all out of whack, and so does the team really. Super disorganized. We should've never traded Seto. Heatley, fine, but we needed Seto's skating and this is why having 7 guys who can play on the top two lines is important.. if one goes down.. your entire team is doomed and suffers because they essentially take away everything and make you a one-line team... JUST like we were in the past.

holy overreaction, batman.

the team is 1-3. not 1-8. they look out of sync, the offense isn't clicking, but they always go through 2-3 offensive slumps every season.

the biggest issue i see right now is how fancy they're trying to be. they're trying to be laser passing, creating perfect setups and chances in the slot and in front of the net. instead, they need to accept the fact that they need to get some dirty, nasty, blue collar goals. don't try to play pretty, just play and let the goals come. defensively their communication seems to get mixed up too much, but i think that'll gel over time.

i'm not worried, this isn't the first time the sharks have had a slow start.
Originally posted by LloydsKittyKat:

holy overreaction, batman.

the team is 1-3. not 1-8. they look out of sync, the offense isn't clicking, but they always go through 2-3 offensive slumps every season.

the biggest issue i see right now is how fancy they're trying to be. they're trying to be laser passing, creating perfect setups and chances in the slot and in front of the net. instead, they need to accept the fact that they need to get some dirty, nasty, blue collar goals. don't try to play pretty, just play and let the goals come. defensively their communication seems to get mixed up too much, but i think that'll gel over time.

i'm not worried, this isn't the first time the sharks have had a slow start.

I fully agree, and I'm trying to say the same thing you are, just in a little more.. I guess.. frustrated, venting, exasperated manner. I'm just trying to express my initial concern. Like I said in prior pages, I don't expect us to do much until about a third of the way through, but it bugs me to watch them play like this obviously, whether it's early or not.

You know me, gotta nitpick them to make myself feel better, even if it's still early.

They are out of sync and have a lot to correct. They must get back to doing the dirty work, skating hard, just putting pucks on net, AND above all playing as a team and not just a collection of individuals.
I fully agree, and I'm trying to say the same thing you are, just in a little more.. I guess.. frustrated, venting, exasperated manner. I'm just trying to express my initial concern. Like I said in prior pages, I don't expect us to do much until about a third of the way through, but it bugs me to watch them play like this obviously, whether it's early or not.

You know me, gotta nitpick them to make myself feel better, even if it's still early.

They are out of sync and have a lot to correct. They must get back to doing the dirty work, skating hard, just putting pucks on net, AND above all playing as a team and not just a collection of individuals.

yes. that pretty well sums up my big issue, they're playing lebron james hockey, going 1 on 5 too often. i can't even imagine how they'd play if there was a 4th period.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I definitely don't miss Heatley. I miss Seto, but that could change once Havlat is back.
Originally posted by Hopper:
I definitely don't miss Heatley. I miss Seto, but that could change once Havlat is back.

I think we're all waiting for that. Hoping Havlat can ease the pain.
When is Havlat coming back?
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
When is Havlat coming back?

Nobody seems to know. All we know is it's not until he's 100%. Apparently he talked to Jagr and both he and doctors advised that you cannot try to come back too early from this injury.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I've heard he could return tomorrow
I've heard he could return tomorrow

Whenever he does come back, I just want him to be fully healed with no risk of re-injury. I want him to be healed in the sense that a cut is fully healed and there's no greater risk of getting hurt again than there was before.

It would suck to have him gone a little longer, but if it meant having him healthy for late in the season and in the playoffs, then I'd do it.

not worried, this is not football playing 16 games. we made some big time changes so it will take time to adjust, remember how bad niemi looked adjusting to his defense and how much better he got. this team is way too talented to be mediocre just wait till we add havlat's speed back in the lineup
I miss the Mitchell-Pavs-Wellwood line.

It's sad that we no longer have Seto, he was great in the Clowe-Pavs-Seto line, as well as when he played up top with Thornton. I think we may see Ferriero soon too. Our guys are altogether not taking advantage of opportunties.

Marleau-Thornton-Havlat
Clowe-Pavelski-Couture
Sheppard-Handzus-Mitchell
McGinn-Desjardins-Ferriero

May be our best combination altogether when everyone's healthy. That 4th line there has shown to have good chemistry.

Murray-Boyle
Vlasic-Burns
Braun-Demers

Looks like I had some psychic power going the other day. Ferriero is back, and that likely means he will play Friday. http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=596771

Quote:
San Jose Sharks Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Wilson announced today that the club has recalled forward Benn Ferriero from the Worcester Sharks, the team's top development affiliate in the American Hockey League.

Ferriero, 24, has played in two games for Worcester this season where he is tied for the team lead in both goals and points (2-1=3).
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Good move bringing Ferriero back. I was a little surprised Wingels got the nod over him.
[ Edited by Hopper on Oct 20, 2011 at 3:56 PM ]
Good move bringing Ferriero back. I was a little surprised Wingels got the nod over him.

Yeah, Ferriero has much more experience, both in the regular season and playoffs. Wingels just doesn't look quite ready yet. He has skill, but he's not very good defensively, in my opinion. Ferriero seems to have better chemistry with most of these guys, having played on lines with Desjardins, McGinn, and even Couture in Worcester.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Yeah, Ferriero has much more experience, both in the regular season and playoffs. Wingels just doesn't look quite ready yet. He has skill, but he's not very good defensively, in my opinion. Ferriero seems to have better chemistry with most of these guys, having played on lines with Desjardins, McGinn, and even Couture in Worcester.
Agreed.

BTW Kevin Kurz confirming Havlat will make his debut tomorrow.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/sharks-talk/post/-?blog/sharks-talk/post/-&blockID=580472&feedID=2798
Share 49ersWebzone