LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 200 users in the forums

*** San Jose Sharks 2014 Off-Season Thread ***

Coyle, Seto and 1st rounder for Burns. Was it worth it? Coyle and Seto are both valuable players for Minny. Burns does a lot for us but hasn't been healthy. Tough to say.
Shutout. Pathetic.
What might our 8 defensemen be for the 2013-14 season? We have some interesting prospects.. Curious to see when they get the call up. Noticed Murray, Demers and Matt Irwin are FAs. I think they may opt to keep Irwin at least one more year. Just don't know about Murray, and there's talk about Boyle being traded, although he has one more year left.

Anyways, how would it feel to have these 8 on defense? We'd have some imposing figures, that's for sure.

5-11 190 ... Dan Boyle - keeps a puck-moving veteran with decent speed on the team.
6-5 225 ... Brent Burns - great shooter with imposing size and speed
6-2 215 ... Brad Stuart - solid veteran presence, although I would probably drop him to the 3rd pairing.
6-1 200 ... Marc Edouard-Vlasic - Great all around D-man.
6-2 210 ... Matt Irwin - up-and-comer with a nice shot.
6-2 205 ... Justin Braun - seemed to show promise, but I'm still waiting to see more.
6-5 220 ... Konrad Abeltshauser (dominating the QMJHL in his 3rd year just like Vlasic -- look at the similarities in their seasons)
6-7 235 ... Taylor Doherty - Developing slowly, but doing solid in Worcester. Not a lot of points, but seems to be playing solid D.

I wouldn't mind this, but I do think we try to move Boyle and his $6.7 million cap number -- third highest on the team -- to allow cap space to fill our other holes. I think the best scenario would be to combine our young prospects making the team in 2013-14 with a few talented veterans/role player signings and this team can be competitive.

According to prospect sites, the top 5 prospects for San Jose are 1) F Thomas Hertl, 2) F Freddie Hamilton, 3) D Taylor Doherty, 4) D Matt Tennyson, and 5) D Konrad Abeltshauser

I think Hamilton, Doherty, and Abeltshauser all make the 2013-14 team.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 23, 2013 at 10:01 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
What might our 8 defensemen be for the 2013-14 season? We have some interesting prospects.. Curious to see when they get the call up. Noticed Murray, Demers and Matt Irwin are FAs. I think they may opt to keep Irwin at least one more year. Just don't know about Murray, and there's talk about Boyle being traded, although he has one more year left.

Anyways, how would it feel to have these 8 on defense? We'd have some imposing figures, that's for sure.

5-11 190 ... Dan Boyle - keeps a puck-moving veteran with decent speed on the team.
6-2 215 ... Brad Stuart - solid veteran presence, although I would probably drop him to the 3rd pairing.
6-2 205 ... Justin Braun - seemed to show promise, but I'm still waiting to see more.
6-5 220 ... Konrad Abeltshauser (dominating the QMJHL in his 3rd year just like Vlasic -- look at the similarities in their seasons)
6-7 235 ... Taylor Doherty - Developing slowly, but doing solid in Worcester. Not a lot of points, but seems to be playing solid D.

I wouldn't mind this, but I do think we try to move Boyle and his $6.7 million cap number -- third highest on the team -- to allow cap space to fill our other holes. I think the best scenario would be to combine our young prospects making the team in 2013-14 with a few talented veterans/role player signings and this team can be competitive.

According to prospect sites, the top 5 prospects for San Jose are 1) F Thomas Hertl, 2) F Freddie Hamilton, 3) D Taylor Doherty, 4) D Matt Tennyson, and 5) D Konrad Abeltshauser

I like Demers. Hope we keep him, he is hitting his prime defensive years.

The problem isnt defense.

Our problem is Offense (mainly 3rd and 4th lines, like every year) and IMO im not too hot on Niemi. He's either really good or below average. Too inconsistent.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I like Demers. Hope we keep him, he is hitting his prime defensive years.

The problem isnt defense.

Our problem is Offense (mainly 3rd and 4th lines, like every year) and IMO im not too hot on Niemi. He's either really good or below average. Too inconsistent.

I wouldn't mind keeping Demers. He just really frustrates me because he is so up and down. He'll make some good plays and then have stretches of HORRENDOUS play where it's giveaway after giveaway and boneheaded plays that make me ready to give up on him. With him, it's mental more than anything. I actually wonder if they'd consider moving him to wing because they've used him there before. Looking at the Sharks' contracts that will be up, I'm curious who will be back.

If they moved Demers to the wing, we could have a guy who knows D but can bring a scoring presence still. We either have forwards that can't score but can play D, or can score but play horrid D or make stupid mistakes. With Demers on offense, we'd have something like this:

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
[FA/Trade]-Couture-Havlat
[FA/Trade]-Wingels-Demers
[FA/Trade]-Hamilton-Burish

Vlasic-Burns
Irwin-Boyle
Braun-Stuart
Abeltshauser

I think Boyle will be traded though if they think Abeltshauser is ready to take on that same role.
Murray jut got traded to the pens, details of what we got back is still unknown
Holy crap we got 2 2nd round picks for Murray!! LOL what a steal!!
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Holy crap we got 2 2nd round picks for Murray!! LOL what a steal!!

The dude is underrated around here in my opinion. But for the fact that his contract is up, that IS a bit of a steal. I will miss his monstrous hitting and ferocious fighting he brought to us. He was a great PK player and ate a lot of ice time. He was my favorite player on the team actually right now. Best of luck to him, going to a true cup contender this year.

So I'm guessing that means Demers should be getting more playing time (honestly I think they should start using him at winger like Burns).
Um I'd wait and see about those picks

Doug Wilson will likely deal them lol for mike riberoe or some s**t player like rhat
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Um I'd wait and see about those picks

Doug Wilson will likely deal them lol for mike riberoe or some s**t player like rhat

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/2013/03/25/douglas-murray-now-a-penguin-with-sharks-getting-a-pair-of-second-round-picks-in-return/

ANAHEIM – The Sharks have traded rugged defenseman Douglas Murray to the Pittsburgh Penguins for a pair of second-round draft choices, the first of what could be several moves as general manager Doug Wilson assesses his struggling team's needs.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9096498/pittsburgh-penguins-get-douglas-murray-san-jose-sharks-sources-say

In return, the Sharks get a pair of second-round picks (2013 and 2014), a source told ESPN.com.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 25, 2013 at 10:53 AM ]

So what do we have now?

If we keep Burns playing wing, we've got..

Marleau--Thornton-Pavelski
Burns-Couture-Havlat

For the top two lines and then:

Vlasic-Boyle
Braun-Stuart
Irwin-Demers

or

Irwin-Boyle
Vlasic-Demers
Braun-Stuart

On defense?
Hopefully clowe is next
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Good move by Wilson, time to stock pile some picks.
Murray wasn't the greatest, but he wasn't terrible. He was movable IMO, good move.

Seems like Boyle to NYR is picking up steam. Flyers are interested.

Boyle would be an ideal trade bait... we get most likely a 1st rounder and we can an NHL player too, because of his cap hit. Hopefully we get a young guy who has potential but hasn't done much with his current team and needs a change of scenery to be successful. Thats really specific, but that's my ideal scenario if we trade Boyle.
[ Edited by Garcia on Mar 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM ]
Love the Murray trade. I'll miss his toughness, but getting two 2nd round picks is a coup. I hope we keep renovating, continue to stock pile draft picks.
lulz

gonna trade those picks away for Brian Campbell

just wait till draft day to see if we keep those picks imo
Share 49ersWebzone