LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 206 users in the forums

*** San Jose Sharks 2014 Off-Season Thread ***

• Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
Wouldn't go that far. He was a streaky goal scorer that wasn't a great passer and he struggles defensively.

All fans in Minnesota fans I've chatted with on HFboards aren't that impressed with him.

I dont know.

When he was a rookie I remember him in the playoffs, just a hustler. He may have tapered off, but hopefully Burns can get healthier and start to contribute.

But the Marty Havlat trade so far has been a complete and utter bust.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Seto was a such a catalyst.

I can't really blame the move. but its obvious we miss him. especially with burns constantly battling injuries.

I think Manny Maholtra was a big loss too. Great 3rd line guy. We have nothing on 3rd and 4th lines.

I also really like Jamie McGinn. Tough guy, grinder and he can score. He can fight. Gritty guy and they traded him for nothing. He's currently 3rd on the Avs in points with 11, 3 goals and 8 assists....
Wouldn't go that far. He was a streaky goal scorer that wasn't a great passer and he struggles defensively.

All fans in Minnesota fans I've chatted with on HFboards aren't that impressed with him.

Seto always provided great spark and was AWESOME on the forecheck. He found spaces and was able to make plays. Sure he's not the best defender, but he's a talented forward and I just don't think he fits that Minnesota team very well.

Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Exactly. Team is lifeless no matter what anyone does. Keep good players that have heart, remove the trash.

There are many players of old that I miss that clearly played with a lot of heart: Cheechoo (who by the way in the AHL right now has 15 points in 11 games and is +2), Setoguchi, Scott Nichol, and Rob Blake are just a few that are no longer around for various reasons. But these guys certainly helped create excitement. Right now there is just nothing.

Seto was a such a catalyst.

I can't really blame the move. but its obvious we miss him. especially with burns constantly battling injuries.

I think Manny Maholtra was a big loss too. Great 3rd line guy. We have nothing on 3rd and 4th lines.

I also really like Jamie McGinn. Tough guy, grinder and he can score. He can fight. Gritty guy and they traded him for nothing. He's currently 3rd on the Avs in points with 11, 3 goals and 8 assists....

I was disgusted with the McGinn trade. He was clearly a skilled player ready to make a jump and we just DUMPED him. I would go as far as to say he is better/more talented than every player on our third/fourth lines right now.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Seto always provided great spark and was AWESOME on the forecheck. He found spaces and was able to make plays. Sure he's not the best defender, but he's a talented forward and I just don't think he fits that Minnesota team very well.

I was disgusted with the McGinn trade. He was clearly a skilled player ready to make a jump and we just DUMPED him. I would go as far as to say he is better/more talented than every player on our third/fourth lines right now.

You would be correct sir, just to reiterate, he's 3rd in points on the Avs. 3rd with 11 points.

Gomez nothing
Clowe 0 Goals only 6A
Havlat 5 points, 3G 2A
Galiardi NOTHING
WIngels - good effort / energy guy but hasnt produced
Sheppard NOTHING
Burish NOTHING
Desjardins NOTHING

That is 2 guys form our 2nd line and our 3rd and 4th liners... just little production.

Thornton, Marleau, Pavs, and Couture have done pretty much everything. They can't do it all by themselves. Doug Wilson can't have it both ways. If he wants to trade away our draft picks, like he has done the last 5 years..... then he has to compensate and fill our needs in FA and he has done HORRIBLE in FA.
Damn, what a fight between Jamie Benn and Joe Thornton. Total "there is a new sherriff in town" moment for Benn. Thornton got a slight win, but Benn is 2 inches and about 25lbs smaller and clearly by the aftermath it was a momentum win for Benn and the Stars.

But regarding your guys gripes on the Sharks, its clearly the lack of depth killing them. They have 4 forwards playing well (Marleau, Thornton, Pavelski, and Couture). The decline in play from Clowe and Havlat is killing you guys. Right now there isn't even a 2nd line that is a scoring threat, much less a 3rd line chipping in. I know they shook up the lines but I don't know if its going to work.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Feb 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Damn, what a fight between Jamie Benn and Joe Thornton. Total "there is a new sherriff in town" moment for Benn. Thornton got a slight win, but Benn is 2 inches and about 25lbs smaller and clearly by the aftermath it was a momentum win for Benn and the Stars.

But regarding your guys gripes on the Sharks, its clearly the lack of depth killing them. They have 4 forwards playing well (Marleau, Thornton, Pavelski, and Couture). The decline in play from Clowe and Havlat is killing you guys. Right now there isn't even a 2nd line that is a scoring threat, much less a 3rd line chipping in. I know they shook up the lines but I don't know if its going to work.

Clowe may need to be relegated to a checking third line player. He can score and create chances, but he is just not a 2nd line guy this year. We need a new 2nd line presence and a definite 3rd/4th line shake-up...

If it were me, I say try to go back to something close to what we did have, with the Clowe-Pavs-Seto line, or something like this...

Marleau-Thornton-Wingels
Couture-Pavelski-Havlat
Clowe-Handzus-Kennedy
Burish-Desjardins/Gomez-Sheppard/Galiardi
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 25, 2013 at 10:45 PM ]
Irwin called up to replace Clowe for tonight I'm sure.

I hope Irwin does well in the future, but I have that worry that he'll be another Desjardins -- shine a little at first, then totally fizzle out. Des has done nothing this year. We need more speed. We lack both depth in speed AND grit on our team and that is a losing combination.

We have maybe a few "gritty" offensive players. Irwin might fall under that category, but he's not a full time guy. Other than him, the only "gritty" guys I feel we have are Clowe and Burish right now. As far as speed? Marleau, Havlat, Kennedy, and Galiardi (speed is useless though without the skill).

Ugh. Our team just looks so bad.. Makes me really look forward to what some of these AHL prospects can do - Brodie Reid, Sebastian Stalberg, Freddie Hamilton, and maybe Daniil Tarasov too.
Sharks need to go into total rebuild next year, get rid of all the old guys, in fact everyone but couture
Not happy about the blown lead, but I will take the win.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Not happy about the blown lead, but I will take the win.

lol....
Havlat has looked just awful. He looked so lost last night.

The one aspect of coaching I am not thrilled about is the benching of certain players.

Let Sheppard play, he is doing well and provides a spark to the bottom lines. I dont like it when we bring in players for 5-8 games at a time, then make them a healthy scratch, then let them play again.

IMO

Sheppard - Dezi/Hanzues - Wingels (when healthy) could be a good third line.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
The one aspect of coaching I am not thrilled about is the benching of certain players.

Let Sheppard play, he is doing well and provides a spark to the bottom lines. I dont like it when we bring in players for 5-8 games at a time, then make them a healthy scratch, then let them play again.

IMO

Sheppard - Dezi/Hanzues - Wingels (when healthy) could be a good third line.

got to earn your dues.

Finally got some production from Burish-Galiardi-Sheppard
if they continue to produce, he will play
Nothing would make me feel better then if we put a whooping on the Wings!
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Nothing would make me feel better then if we put a whooping on the Wings!

if we can get a win hopefully we can build some confidence
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Share 49ersWebzone