LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

*** San Jose Sharks 2014 Off-Season Thread ***

• Garce
  • Veteran
More Hertl

those 3 are all I can find.
i hope our draft pick is good. I have no idea who this kid is.
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by Garcia:
I think also we just know a lot more about the players due to NCAA Football being so popular.
A very small group of puckheads follow college hockey and that is mostly on the east coast.

Even those "puckheads" don't get access like diehard college ball watchers here do. With the right cable packages you can watch at least a dozen big teams play not to mention smaller local schools. Record games and analyze a bunch. With hockey nearly all the prospects are from canada or europe, meaning those broadcasts rarely cross the borders unless you happen upon some illegal online feeds.

If you're lucky here you can watch boston college or something. Which usually only gets a few highly regarded prospects every couple of years.

The only good thing about the draft is the trades and even that was disappointing this year.

well part of it is because the nfl forces a specific pipeline onto prospects in order to line the pockets of the ncaa. if you want to make the nfl, you have to play in college or your chances are almost non-existent. part of that also has to do with football's american only nature, so there's no foreign pipeline. hockey is played the world over and there's countless sources, especially when you're drafting 17-19 year olds. if there was a mandatory college thing, there would probably be a more accessible pipeline.

honestly, watching a prospect's progress in the minors after being drafted is more the puckhead's equivalent of college football
desjardins, wingels and braun tendered
The three RFAs conspicuously absent from either list are the Sharks' three best:Andrew Desjardins, Tommy Wingels and Justin Braun. Desjardins has been inked to a one-year, one-way contract, Wingels to a two-year, one-way contract and Braun to a three-year, one-way deal. We'll update this post with financial details as soon as they become available but obviously getting three of their best young players signed was a priority this offseason and the Sharks have followed through early, allowing them to explore the unrestricted free agent market with their bottom defense pair and a third of their bottom six already in place.

UPDATE: According to CSN Insider Kevin Kurz, Wingels' contract will pay him $700k the first year and $850k the second for a $775k annual cap hit. Needless to say, that's terrific value for a player who drove possession at a very high level last season and could benefit quite a bit if his shooting percentage regresses next season.

I think also we just know a lot more about the players due to NCAA Football being so popular.
A very small group of puckheads follow college hockey and that is mostly on the east coast.

Even those "puckheads" don't get access like diehard college ball watchers here do. With the right cable packages you can watch at least a dozen big teams play not to mention smaller local schools. Record games and analyze a bunch. With hockey nearly all the prospects are from canada or europe, meaning those broadcasts rarely cross the borders unless you happen upon some illegal online feeds.

If you're lucky here you can watch boston college or something. Which usually only gets a few highly regarded prospects every couple of years.

The only good thing about the draft is the trades and even that was disappointing this year.

Yeah its impossible to track all the best prospects. Your best bet is if you live in Canada and follow Canadian Junior leagues. But you still have the US National Development program, US Juniors and the college game. And thats just in NA. Then in Europe, each major hockey country has its own seperate leagues.

One way to catch a lot of top prospects though is the World Juniors, though usually half the team has already been drafted.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Yeah its impossible to track all the best prospects. Your best bet is if you live in Canada and follow Canadian Junior leagues. But you still have the US National Development program, US Juniors and the college game. And thats just in NA. Then in Europe, each major hockey country has its own seperate leagues.

One way to catch a lot of top prospects though is the World Juniors, though usually half the team has already been drafted.

best bet to track all top prospects is to be an oilers fan
Originally posted by ads_2006:
best bet to track all top prospects is to be an oilers fan

hahaha
I'm really surprised we're trying to keep around some of the players we are, especially Galiardi... We made qualifying offers to all the following:

T.J. Galiardi C
Matt Irwin D
Tim Kennedy C
Brandon Mashinter LW
Frazer McLaren LW
Matt Pelech F/D
Nick Petrecki D
James Sheppard C
Alex Stalock G

The most obvious good ones to offer to were Stalock, Mashinter, and Sheppard (or the trade we made would look more asinine).

So what'll the new depth chart be?

Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Clowe - Couture - Havlat
? - Handzus - Wingels
? - Desjardins - ?
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jun 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM ]
Mitchell will be a UFA with no chance of signing

and I think one of those question marks should belong to Havlat

I think Winnick and Galiardi fill the other two

• Garce
  • Veteran
I'm glad we got Braun locked up for 3 years. I think he will break Out next year. Him and demers
otc (or anyone) do you play nhl 12 on xbox? i got it recently and i'm hooked. i need people to play against besides the stupid little 12 year olds on xbox live.
Originally posted by drunk49er:
otc (or anyone) do you play nhl 12 on xbox? i got it recently and i'm hooked. i need people to play against besides the stupid little 12 year olds on xbox live.

I did, but I traded it in, man. Waiting on NHL 13 already. Just don't have enough time to play right now. And I agree... They are annoying as crap. Talk smack despite me beating on them 6-0.

Brain fart. Fixed it to where it has Havlat. I don't mind bringing back Winnick, but keeping Galiardi is a terrible mistake in my opinion. Guy is worthless and just doesn't fit, in my opinion. All speed, no scoring touch. He's like a Mitchell without any moves or stickhandling ability. I'd rather sign someone else..

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Clowe-Couture-Havlat
FreeAgent-Desjardins-Wingels
Galiardi-Handzus-[Surprise player]

Maybe Sheppard gets in on one of those lines when he's healthy... if he ever gets healthy..

Boyle-Vlasic
Stuart-Burns
Braun-Demers
Murray
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jun 28, 2012 at 6:21 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by drunk49er:

I did, but I traded it in, man. Waiting on NHL 13 already. Just don't have enough time to play right now. And I agree... They are annoying as crap. Talk smack despite me beating on them 6-0.

Brain fart. Fixed it to where it has Havlat. I don't mind bringing back Winnick, but keeping Galiardi is a terrible mistake in my opinion. Guy is worthless and just doesn't fit, in my opinion. All speed, no scoring touch. He's like a Mitchell without any moves or stickhandling ability. I'd rather sign someone else..

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Clowe-Couture-Havlat
FreeAgent-Desjardins-Wingels
Galiardi-Handzus-[Surprise player]

Maybe Sheppard gets in on one of those lines when he's healthy... if he ever gets healthy..

Boyle-Vlasic
Stuart-Burns
Braun-Demers
Murray

when you get 13 hit me up bro, i talk junk but its all in good fun.

from what fearthefin says we might be looking at alexander semin, although we probably won't be able to convince him to come out west.
  • mike
  • Veteran
The option I hope for is bobby ryan but that's not going to happen with it being a division rival and all.

Or maybe shane doan.
Share 49ersWebzone