LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

*** San Jose Sharks 2014 Off-Season Thread ***

On the negative side, players like defensemen William Wrenn and Nick Petrecki I'm reading are basically considered busts/disappointments at this point. Also, the list of players needing to be re-signed or replaced is massive... 28 total... The NHL squad has 11 free agents, and the AHL team has 17 free agents.

FA Players needing to be re-signed or replaced:

NHL
F Tommy Wingels
F T.J. Galiardi
F Daniel Winnick
F Brad Winchester
F Torrey Mitchell
F Benn Ferriero
F Andrew Desjardins
F Dominic Moore
D Justin Braun
D Colin White
D Jim Vandermeer

Note: Next year.. Clowe, Handzus, Greiss, Vlasic, Demers, and Murray are FA's.

AHL
F John McCarthy
F Andrew Murray
F Frazer McLaren
F Ben Guite
F James Sheppard
F James Marcou
F Brandon Mashinter
F Cam MacIntyre
F Tony Lucia
F Tim Kennedy
D Nick Petrecki
D Matt Irwin
D Matt Pelech
D Mike Moore
G Tyson Sexsmith
G Alex Stalock
G Antero Niittymaki

Note: Next year.. Forwards Brodie Reid and Marek Viedensky, and goalies Harri Sateri and Thomas Heemskerk are all FA's.

I just can't see us getting back the majority of these guys, so both SJ and Worcester figure to get a bunch of new blood.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
On the negative side, players like defensemen William Wrenn and Nick Petrecki I'm reading are basically considered busts/disappointments at this point. Also, the list of players needing to be re-signed or replaced is massive... 28 total... The NHL squad has 11 free agents, and the AHL team has 17 free agents.

FA Players needing to be re-signed or replaced:

NHL
F Tommy Wingels
F T.J. Galiardi
F Daniel Winnick
F Brad Winchester
F Torrey Mitchell
F Benn Ferriero
F Andrew Desjardins
F Dominic Moore
D Justin Braun
D Colin White
D Jim Vandermeer

Note: Next year.. Clowe, Handzus, Greiss, Vlasic, Demers, and Murray are FA's.

AHL
F John McCarthy
F Andrew Murray
F Frazer McLaren
F Ben Guite
F James Sheppard
F James Marcou
F Brandon Mashinter
F Cam MacIntyre
F Tony Lucia
F Tim Kennedy
D Nick Petrecki
D Matt Irwin
D Matt Pelech
D Mike Moore
G Tyson Sexsmith
G Alex Stalock
G Antero Niittymaki

Note: Next year.. Forwards Brodie Reid and Marek Viedensky, and goalies Harri Sateri and Thomas Heemskerk are all FA's.

I just can't see us getting back the majority of these guys, so both SJ and Worcester figure to get a bunch of new blood.

nhl this year

must resign: wingels, winnick, ferrirero, dejardins, braun
maybe: galiardi, winchester (he's getting old), mitchell
no thanks/go f**k yourself: moore, white, vandermeer

nhl next year

must: clowe, vlasic, demers, greiss
maybe: murray
go f**k yourself: handzus(f**king lead feet)
Originally posted by drunk49er:
worth reading

http://www.fearthefin.com/2012/5/31/2937855/the-2011-12-san-jose-sharks-prospects-report

Great recap that makes it pretty clear who our "Top prospects" are now in terms of who we should expect to make a push for AHL/NHL time in the near future. With so many FA's for us this off-season, we're going to really need to hope that some of our young players are ready to play soon. Based on the info provided, our best bets appear to be:

Forwards - Freddie Hamilton (signed), Travis Oleksuk (signed), Sebastian Stalberg (signed),
Defensemen - Konrad Abelthsauser (signed), Dylan DeMelo (signed), Matt Tennyson (signed), Taylor Doherty (signed)

With all the players Worcester is expected to lose, it wouldn't be too surprising to see all of these guys playing in the AHL in 2012. DeMelo, Tennyson, Doherty, and Stalberg are already on the roster and Oleksuk is joining the team for sure this fall. The Daniels twins, Drew and Justin, are noted in the article as possibilities for electing to go Pro, but no contract has been offered to them.

I was reading about a player, Yanni Gourde, who Worcester signed but is not part of the SJ Sharks org because he has no contract with us. Strictly a minor league deal. The kid had like 130 points in the QMJHL and was the league MVP, but he's only 5-8 170, so he isn't getting as much attention. Any NHL team could give him a deal at any time, so I'm curious what'll happen with him.
nhl this year

must resign: wingels, winnick, ferrirero, dejardins, braun
maybe: galiardi, winchester (he's getting old), mitchell
no thanks/go f**k yourself: moore, white, vandermeer

nhl next year

must: clowe, vlasic, demers, greiss
maybe: murray
go f**k yourself: handzus(f**king lead feet)

My list would be (for this year)...

MUST: Wingels, Desjardins, Braun - All technically NHL rookies who did pretty well.
MAYBE: Ferriero, Winnick, Mitchell
GET OUT: Moore, White, Vandermeer, Galiardi
i just cant believe the damn kings are gonna win the cup, 1st anaheim and now la. fml
we should try to sign lidstrom

i heard he is pretty good
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i just cant believe the damn kings are gonna win the cup, 1st anaheim and now la. fml

They've had a franchise for 45 years. It's about time they won it all.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

They've had a franchise for 45 years. It's about time they won it all.

Our turn next year?

We're going to need a better goalie, better balance of speed and grit, and better PK to win the Cup. Right now our goalie is so-so. Not in Quick's league. Has any goalie even ever won an SC with another team? Our PK sucks, the guys we added did nothing to help it. And we lost speed and got slower. Even with the addition of a guy like Galiardi, it didn't do jack because he has no hands, zero scoring touch, and terrible puck control.

I hope we find an out-of-nowhere gem with one of our youngsters and they come in and boost our overall team talent and speed.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jun 1, 2012 at 8:48 PM ]
DW not ruling out moving up from 17th in the draft. Maybe we can land a year one contributor in the 1st round.

Quote:

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=633547

The Sharks currently have the 17th pick in the first round, and Wilson said they'll stick to their philosophy of taking the best player available, regardless of position. However, if there's a player they like, Wilson said he won't be afraid to move up to get him.

"If you feel there's good players there, people are going to be aggressive and move up to get them," Wilson said. "We look at it that way. You forecast where you think players will get drafted and you want to get into that area. If a player drops or you feel a player that you really want might not be where your pick is, you have to go up and get him."

Wilson said he believes that with the depth of talent in this year's draft, he could see a lot of teams making deals at the draft.
on the pk what we gotta do is ditch the sit and wait crap. all the best pk teams attack and pressure the puck and make teams make quicker decisions with the puck.

Trade niemi to the bruins
Originally posted by ads_2006:

who are we going to have play in goal for us? i like griess as a backup but the dude gets so agressive. teams will find ways to draw him out and expose him if he's the fulltime starter.

who are we going to have play in goal for us? i like griess as a backup but the dude gets so agressive. teams will find ways to draw him out and expose him if he's the fulltime starter.

window has closed imo

time to get younger

What about Stalock? Is he ready for the NHL?
  • Garce
  • Veteran
window has closed imo

time to get younger

Marleau and Thornton are gonna be 33. Not that old.
Havlat will be 31.

Dan Boyle is the oldest on the team gonna be 36... old but not that old.

Majority of the team is under 30..
Pavelski, Couture, Clowe (will be 30 in sept) Desjardins,
Burns, Vlasic, Braun, Demers

The core of the team isn't too old, IMO
Share 49ersWebzone