There are 163 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is D.Jeter the greatest Yankee of all time?

Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
Most overrated player ever.

Really good player, yes.

Put him on the rangers for his career instead, and you NEVER hear of the guy.

Replace him with Michael Young, they are a better team.

I assume that you are joking just to get a rise out of some of us. That and Michael Young is laughing at your comment.

Who knows. Bobby Valentine called him the best all around player of this generation. Should we believe a guy who has been a player and manager and part of baseball for over 30 years or some guy who probably didnt play past little league? God almighty.
Bobby Valentine is your justification John? Really?! That's your argum
Bobby Valentine is your justification John? Really?! That's your argument?! WOW

Read the thread and you will get my opinions. I dont see how anyone who could get 3000 hits under the pressure of New York can be considered overrated. No other Yankee has ever done it. That doesnt make him the greatest Yankee ever but it sure makes him a hell of a lot better than " a very good player and the most overrated player ever".

I'd love for you to make that comment on any sports show and see how anyone in the know would piss in their pants laughing at you. Oh.. yes. I would take Bobby Valetine's opinion ahead of someone in here who makes a comment like yours.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jul 10, 2011 at 9:42 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Best modern day Yankee? I'd say yes.

Best overall Yankee of all time? Dumb debate to have due to different league rules, dynamics, eras, etc.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Read the thread and you will get my opinions. I dont see how anyone who could get 3000 hits under the pressure of New York can be considered overrated. No other Yankee has ever done it. That doesnt make him the greatest Yankee ever but it sure makes him a hell of a lot better than " a very good player and the most overrated player ever".

I'd love for you to make that comment on any sports show and see how anyone in the know would piss in their pants laughing at you. Oh.. yes. I would take Bobby Valetine's opinion ahead of someone in here who makes a comment like yours.

It's a fact that sports talk show hosts have horrible bladder control. I read about that somewhere.
Originally posted by FamousAnus:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

It's a fact that the mods have horrible bladder control. I read about that somewhere.

i read that too...lol
if he was on the reds he would be Barry larkin
How could anyone think up a question like this that knows the history of baseball?!?!?!?!

Originally posted by LundyLove:

This. He'll always be a top tier shortstop (probably in the top 5-10 of all-time) in my mind and a shoe-in hall-of-famer, but best Yankee in history? Very doubtful. He had the benefit of being on great teams with $100+ million payrolls most of his entire career, but he still contributed and came through in a ridiculously tough market. I don't like Jeter mainly because I hate the Yankees, but I respect his ability as a player.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by LundyLove:

This. He'll always be a top tier shortstop (probably in the top 5-10 of all-time) in my mind and a shoe-in hall-of-famer, but best Yankee in history? Very doubtful. He had the benefit of being on great teams with $100+ million payrolls most of his entire career, but he still contributed and came through in a ridiculously tough market. I don't like Jeter mainly because I hate the Yankees, but I respect his ability as a player.

I agree with this.

Best SS in Yankee history - without question
Top 5 SS of all time - I would say YES
First Ballot HOF - Of course
Overrated - Only to the those who dont get it.
Top Yankee Ever... only if we wipe out Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe Dimaggio, and
Mickey Mantle from the records.
I think you are looking too deep into what overrated means.

ESPN will lead you to believe that Jeter is the greatest player ever. Hes all over tv constantly, they always talk about him. I know more about Jeter than i do about Pablo Sandoval! and its not by choice!!

You said is he top 5 all time? your answer was that you would say yes. ESPN has me believing he is the best of all time!

Thats what im saying when i say overrated. Hes rated daily over what he is. Overrated.

OVERRATED doesnt mean NOT GOOD.

Hes been very good i know. But hes not as good as hes portrayed.
  • Ether
  • Veteran

ESPN will lead you to believe that Jeter is the greatest player ever. Hes all over tv constantly, they always talk about him. I know more about Jeter than i do about Pablo Sandoval! and its not by choice!!

You said is he top 5 all time? your answer was that you would say yes. ESPN has me believing he is the best of all time!

Thats what im saying when i say overrated. Hes rated daily over what he is. Overrated.

You're mad because he's covered on TV? Would you rather them do segments on players that are dead or retired instead of players that just recently got his 3000th hit?
Originally posted by Ether:

You're mad because he's covered on TV? Would you rather them do segments on players that are dead or retired instead of players that just recently got his 3000th hit?

I understand right now why hes all over tv but hes ALWAYS on tv. ALWAYS
Jeter is great, but he's no Michael Young!