LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 140 users in the forums

2011 pac 12 football

Originally posted by EarlThomas:
Originally posted by AC49er:
All teams go through injuries. My team just lost their starting fullback for the season

like that comes close to compare, lmao joke

I'm glad someone else noticed.

I was like "What? Compare a FB to starting CB and starting OLB, and a WR and DE that would get significant playing time, and last years starting QB?"
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Vrabbit - I don't know about that. ASU has a top 10 pick (Burfict) and 3 future mid-rounders (DE Onyeali, DT Sutton, OLB Magee). Magee might be late rounder, but he went under the radar due to Burfict hype but he is pretty good. Onyeali won D Frosh of the year. And Sutton no one has heard of due to academic probation, but the hype is he is a one-man highlight reel and the best D-Lineman last years fall and is in even better shape this year. I guess though I can't really put Sutton up there yet considering he only had oen promising frosh year under his belt. The other 3 spots will have solid seniors at.

Stanford is stacked with talent. Andrew Luck, Jonathin Martin OT, Chris Owusu, Chase Thomas OLB, Stepfan Taylor RB, David DeCastro OG are all guys that will be going early in the Draft. They also have a good pair of Safeties that will be draft picks.

I'm not the only one with this opinion. ESPN ranked Stanford #2 in the nation for being stacked with future NFL picks (USC was #5, Oregon was not on in the top 10).

As good as Oregon is, their players aren't as elite as their record. Oregon just has a great system and gets players that fit in it and can run it to perfection. Just look at how many Ducks got drafted last year (only one I believe).

And don't ever say "Zona" and reference our school .

lol pro talent has nothing to do with how much talent a team has AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL.

Sure, maybe Stanford has the better pro prospects, but Oregon's team is built for the College game, hence why they are the better team and by far have the better talent.

I'm sorry, but you can't call Stanford the better team since they have better pro prospects... that's just illogical.

No, that is logical. NFL scouts are a pretty objective measure of talent. You really going to tell me there are 1st-3rd round NFL picks that weren't good in college?

Oregon isn't an elite talent level team. Oregon uses a system that enables them to be so succesful. Its not the players, its the system that is so good. A lot of college players/systems are extremely effecive at the college level because their opponents don't have the speed to limit how much space their oponnent has. At NFL, everybody has speed to limit space. Its not that the game of NFL and College is different, its that in college talent is so spread out it allows for a lot to be exploited.

And saying they "by far have the better talent" is just homerism. Even if Oregon had more talent, no way would it be "by far".

This whole conversation reminds me of this video: http://www.pigskinu.com/justsayin/2011/07/petros-said-that-andrew-luck-is-the-best-player-hes-ever-seen/

Start listening at 5:11 second mark. Both of you guys seem to be spot on just coming from different perspectives.

Oh and whatever talent Stanford is lacking in comparison to Oregon, Andrew Luck alone fills the gap... at least in my opinion.
[ Edited by mustangmele on Aug 15, 2011 at 5:43 PM ]
Oregon's recruiting: "our mission is to fake out the cameraman. how fast is your 40? 4.2 or under? ok, full ride."

Originally posted by EarlThomas:
like that comes close to compare, lmao joke

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Oregon's recruiting: "our mission is to fake out the cameraman. how fast is your 40? 4.2 or under? ok, full ride."

don't forget the fact that they need to have been arrested at least once before

Yes. The admissions dept. doesn't care about transcripts, just rap sheets.

Yes. The admissions dept. doesn't care about transcripts, just rap sheets.

Hey, I mean I think we are already improving on last season.

I think we've only had a few arrests this off season LOL
Colorado gonna shock the world!!!
Originally posted by strickac:
Colorado gonna shock the world!!!

If by shocking you mean not winning a game...........well that won't be very shocking.
4 Oregon State Beavers were cought under aged drinking, will be suspended for the first game.

thats one of those "your suspended because you were dumb enough to get caught"

4 Oregon State Beavers were cought under aged drinking, will be suspended for the first game.

thats one of those "your suspended because you were dumb enough to get caught"

What you guys think about my Pac-12 preview?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/810252-college-football-predictions-how-the-pac-12-will-shake-out-in-its-1st-year

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/810252-college-football-predictions-how-the-pac-12-will-shake-out-in-its-1st-year
Oregon Homer! haha good write up. I think you overvalue Arizona and undervalue Utah.

Oregon Homer! haha good write up. I think you overvalue Arizona and undervalue Utah.
haha how did you know!

But yeah, I think you could be right about Arizona but I think they have been on the brink the past couple of years. I honestly got pretty scared when I heard Foles was returning.

But I don't know about Utah, they didn't really play anyone that special last year and then finally got a chance to prove themselves, but ended up getting CREAMED by TCU.

I mean they had a cake walk of a schedule after they barely beat Pitt last year. But who knows, I just think it's gonna be a tough transition for them from the MWC to the Pac-12

haha how did you know!

But yeah, I think you could be right about Arizona but I think they have been on the brink the past couple of years. I honestly got pretty scared when I heard Foles was returning.

But I don't know about Utah, they didn't really play anyone that special last year and then finally got a chance to prove themselves, but ended up getting CREAMED by TCU.

I mean they had a cake walk of a schedule after they barely beat Pitt last year. But who knows, I just think it's gonna be a tough transition for them from the MWC to the Pac-12

On Arizona, yes Foles + Criner will equal a pretty good passing game.

But what about their D? Their D was pretty decent last year and it was largely because of their 2 DE's who graduated and got picked in the NFL. Those 2 DE's were aweomse and arguably the best pair in the PAC last year. Thats a big loss IMO.

Arizona also lost 4 of their 5 offensive line starters, and their starting FS (Adam Hall) I believe is out for the year, or at least out for the beggining.

I'm not really sold on Utah, I think they will be a force in the PAC but not this year. I think their team is on a down year, outside their QB no one really stands out to me on their roster.

On USC, I would be pretty surprised if they finish #3, it would be a pretty major let down by the program. They have the talent to be the top team in the South.

On Oregon State, like Utah, I think they are in for a down year because Katz is still developing and they don't have much else on their roster.

On Stanford, like I said before, I think they beat Oregon. They got Oregon at home and have more talent. Oregon has a lot of players to replace and even though they rotated a lot of players last year, I think it is still an issue you can't over look.
Share 49ersWebzone