There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Dirk Nowitzki vs Larry Bird

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Why exactly do you guys think that the Bad Boys earned their nickname and reputation? Do you think it's possibly because they played a brand of basketball that was so unique to their era that they stood out like a sore thumb?

Whenever the subject of the physicality of the 80's comes up, people say "Bad Boys" as though they were representative of their era. They wouldn't have even been called the "Bad Boys" if they were. The Lakers of the 80's weren't physical. Neither were the Celtics. The Sixers only sort of were with Moses Malone and Barkley, but neither one of those guys cared too much about defense. The Sikma/Moncrief Bucks weren't physical. 'Nique's Hawks weren't physical. Same goes for almost the entire league.

They were quicker to throw blows...that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. They scrapped more because the penalties were far less. But in terms of the physicality of most of the 80's, offenses had it waaaaay easier back then because of how little resistance there was.

You really think the game was a ton more physical AND teams still averaged 110 points per game? Please.

Bad boys, bad boys, what ya gonna do?

And players should only be compared to who they played against.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Why exactly do you guys think that the Bad Boys earned their nickname and reputation? Do you think it's possibly because they played a brand of basketball that was so unique to their era that they stood out like a sore thumb?

Whenever the subject of the physicality of the 80's comes up, people say "Bad Boys" as though they were representative of their era. They wouldn't have even been called the "Bad Boys" if they were. The Lakers of the 80's weren't physical. Neither were the Celtics. The Sixers only sort of were with Moses Malone and Barkley, but neither one of those guys cared too much about defense. The Sikma/Moncrief Bucks weren't physical. 'Nique's Hawks weren't physical. Same goes for almost the entire league.

They were quicker to throw blows...that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. They scrapped more because the penalties were far less. But in terms of the physicality of most of the 80's, offenses had it waaaaay easier back then because of how little resistance there was.

You really think the game was a ton more physical AND teams still averaged 110 points per game? Please.

You appear to just ignore the other side of the argument, I guess you didn't watch the posted videos? Since you are a self proclaimed expert on the NBA in the 80's I would hope you are at least 40 or older and watched lots of games from that era in their entirety. Anyone who watched a lot of 80's basketball might remember the so called Showtime Lakers. They happened to be masters of the fast break, due to their success lot's of teams tried to emulate their style. Running the fast break was popular in that era, leading to more possessions, which leads to higher scoring, not lax defense. There are teams today that rarely run, 30 years ago most teams tried to run any chance they got.
Originally posted by BobS:

You appear to just ignore the other side of the argument, I guess you didn't watch the posted videos? Since you are a self proclaimed expert on the NBA in the 80's I would hope you are at least 40 or older and watched lots of games from that era in their entirety. Anyone who watched a lot of 80's basketball might remember the so called Showtime Lakers. They happened to be masters of the fast break, due to their success lot's of teams tried to emulate their style. Running the fast break was popular in that era, leading to more possessions, which leads to higher scoring, not lax defense. There are teams today that rarely run, 30 years ago most teams tried to run any chance they got.

Even Jordan said if he played today he thinks he could drop 100 cuz its less physical today
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
This comparison is an insult to Larry Bird.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I challenge anybody to go watch a random game from the 80's and tell me that the game was more physical back then. Today's game is more physical and it's not even all that close.

You obviously dont watch the Warriors play very often. However, I know you watch the Lakers play and there is no way you can tell me they are as tough and physical as the Pistons of the 80s.

I am a Piston fan, I used to cash quite a few bets back in 1985-90 just betting against teams that had met the Pistons in their last game, they took such a beating it would take almost a week to get back to form. Playing the Pistons back in the day would send quite a few teams on mini losing streaks. After the Pistons fell off the Knicks were the tough team in the East till the end of the 90's. In the early 90's Mason and Oakley weren't too kind to anyone in the paint, add Ewing to that and they were pretty tough.

Ok, when did they implement the flagrant foul rules?

nice to know i'm not the only pistons fan on here
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
I challenge anybody to go watch a random game from the 80's and tell me that the game was more physical back then. Today's game is more physical and it's not even all that close.

You obviously dont watch the Warriors play very often. However, I know you watch the Lakers play and there is no way you can tell me they are as tough and physical as the Pistons of the 80s.

I am a Piston fan, I used to cash quite a few bets back in 1985-90 just betting against teams that had met the Pistons in their last game, they took such a beating it would take almost a week to get back to form. Playing the Pistons back in the day would send quite a few teams on mini losing streaks. After the Pistons fell off the Knicks were the tough team in the East till the end of the 90's. In the early 90's Mason and Oakley weren't too kind to anyone in the paint, add Ewing to that and they were pretty tough.

You would enjoy this video BobS
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Cool video Jimrat, also it looked like they might have pulled all that action from only 4 games. The flagrant foul rule I found out was put in 1990-91, but they didn't come with ejections or suspensions then. Obviously as a Piston fan I was obligated to hate Michael Jordan. I don't think anyone was a tougher competitor than Jordan. The Pistons and the Knicks used him as a tackling dummy, and he just kept driving the lane. Another thing one should notice, unlike a lot of players crying about hard fouls, he yelled F-U at the player who fouled him, then went and hit his foul shots. How guys can compare Lebron to Jordan, laughable! Jordan is one of those guys you have to kill to stop, nothing could make him quit.

Some minor rule changes and style of play such as more three point shots has made the half court game more spread out. Dirk's weakness was if you were physical with him, then he would not perform as well which can be said for most euros. The strict punishment today keeps most teams from getting overly physical only to get into the head of that player. In the mid to late 80's, teams would have played these mental games with him, especially in the playoffs. The regular season is different altogether and the physicality didn't begin until the playoffs.

Take a look at the rules against s**t talking. Bird s**t talked Reggie Miller. He would have owned a player like Dirk and really gotten into his head. Now, players/teams don't do that to the extent it was done back then. That alone can be a mental/intimidation factor.
Originally posted by jimrat201:

Did you even watch the video? It's of the '91 Pistons and '92 Knicks. They're still in the 80s mentality. Show me videos over the year 2000 that are "so physical". You just solidified BobS's point.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Did you even watch the video? It's of the '91 Pistons and '92 Knicks. They're still in the 80s mentality. Show me videos over the year 2000 that are "so physical". You just solidified BobS's point.

You talkin to me? Im on Bobs side.

Oh my bad. We on the same side.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran

Oh my bad. We on the same side.

No problem..........cheers
This thread makes me laugh
Originally posted by LBCniner:
dirk is the greatest german to ever LIVE!! LIVE!!!

Considering his only competition is Detlef Schrempf, that's not hard. Lol.

And Hitler...you cant leave off Hitler in the Greatest German Ever List (the GGE)

Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by LBCniner:
dirk is the greatest german to ever LIVE!! LIVE!!!

Considering his only competition is Detlef Schrempf, that's not hard. Lol.

And Hitler...you cant leave off Hitler in the Greatest German Ever List (the GGE)

Hitler killed ppl, Dirk only s**ts on ppl in basketball, f**k hitler