There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Los Angeles Lakers Offseason Thread

Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Arminini:
I would have no problem with Bynum if he went after Chandler or any other big guy. I probably wouldnt have a problem with him going after Barea in game 1,2, 3 or first half of game 4. But everything combined: waiting until youre down 30 and the game is over, going after the smallest guy in the gym, and hitting him on the same spot you hit Gerald Wallace and collapsed his lung adds up to it being a very dirty play. It wasn't a physical play aimed at sending a message, it was a cowardly move out of frustration.

The Mchale foul in my opinion isnt the same thing for all the reason i mention.

I've been a laker fan since 5 years old so this isnt a hater piling on.

I don't see what the score of the game has to do with judging how dirty a play was. McHale clotheslining Rambis when he had just jumped was no less dirty or dangerous because the score was close.

And as a little guy myself, y'all are playing up the "poor little guy in the paint" angle waaaaay too much. He's small...so what? What does that have to do with anything here?

The Bad Boys Pistons and Riley's Knicks did this type of thing every other game....ESPECIALLY when a little guy had the nerve to drive into the paint. But now in 2011 we have people comparing it to drowning kittens.

I think Armini meant the Bynum hit was not meant to send a message. It was just a cheap shot out of frustration. If it was a close game, or in the first couple of games of the series, it might have been used to send a message. In this case, he was just pissed and took that cheap shot. Back in the day, a lot of guys purposely gave hard fouls to send a message.

I also agree that a lot of players (especially KG) go after non-threatening or smaller guys. I don't think Bynum would have done that to Haywood.

But, these kind of plays are blown WAY out of proportion nowadays. He should be kicked out of that game fined a little bit and that's it. No five game suspension needed.

ahh thats not true. He hit beasley, who's a prettty big mother effer
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
ahh thats not true. He hit beasley, who's a prettty big mother effer

don't forget c. fry
I would like Rick Adelman to coach the lakers for one he coached them for 2 seasons before and went to the finals in one with them. Adelman will be 65 in June, has loads of experience. He runs an offensive system called "corner," similar to the triangle, with more spontaneous pick-and-roll plays. Adelman took the Trail Blazers to the NBA finals twice, losing in 1990 to the Detroit Pistons and 1992 to Jackson's Chicago Bulls. Adelman is considered particularly good at working with big men and commands the respect of his players. Also, he has coached Ron Artest twice, in Sacramento and Houston.

I would have no problem with Bynum if he went after Chandler or any other big guy. I probably wouldnt have a problem with him going after Barea in game 1,2, 3 or first half of game 4. But everything combined: waiting until youre down 30 and the game is over, going after the smallest guy in the gym, and hitting him on the same spot you hit Gerald Wallace and collapsed his lung adds up to it being a very dirty play. It wasn't a physical play aimed at sending a message, it was a cowardly move out of frustration.

I don't see what the score of the game has to do with judging how dirty a play was. McHale clotheslining Rambis when he had just jumped was no less dirty or dangerous because the score was close.

And as a little guy myself, y'all are playing up the "poor little guy in the paint" angle waaaaay too much. He's small...so what? What does that have to do with anything here?

The Bad Boys Pistons and Riley's Knicks did this type of thing every other game....ESPECIALLY when a little guy had the nerve to drive into the paint. But now in 2011 we have people comparing it to drowning kittens.

Bc it was a Laker !!! Duh

But I would totally enjoy watching more hits like that more often.
Originally posted by VDSF:
I would like Rick Adelman to coach the lakers for one he coached them for 2 seasons before and went to the finals in one with them. Adelman will be 65 in June, has loads of experience. He runs an offensive system called "corner," similar to the triangle, with more spontaneous pick-and-roll plays. Adelman took the Trail Blazers to the NBA finals twice, losing in 1990 to the Detroit Pistons and 1992 to Jackson's Chicago Bulls. Adelman is considered particularly good at working with big men and commands the respect of his players. Also, he has coached Ron Artest twice, in Sacramento and Houston.

plus he will likely have Howard and CP3

In my view, the difference between Mchale and Bynum is the intent. Mchale's hit was a perverse way to help his team win, Bynum's hit was a selfish way to rid himself of frustration.

I'm fine with physical play but cant stand selfish acts like that. That's why I loved how the Bad Boy Pistons played, but hated everything about them not shaking the Bulls' hands after they finally lost. I see Mchale's hit as the equivalent of the Bad Boy rough play, and see Bynums hit as the equivalent of not shaking hands.

In my view, the difference between Mchale and Bynum is the intent. Mchale's hit was a perverse way to help his team win, Bynum's hit was a selfish way to rid himself of frustration.

I'm fine with physical play but cant stand selfish acts like that. That's why I loved how the Bad Boy Pistons played, but hated everything about them not shaking the Bulls' hands after they finally lost. I see Mchale's hit as the equivalent of the Bad Boy rough play, and see Bynums hit as the equivalent of not shaking hands.

Can't compare Bynums hit with McHales as they happened in totally different contexts and one has much less purpose than the other. Bynums hit was dirty and unnecessary. Remember when Horry laid out Nash. That wasn't even close to as bad as Bynums. He might as well have pushed Barrea in the back after the game was over and that would have had just as much pussiness to it as what he did during the game.

That's the difference. Bynummacted like a p***y more than wanting to turn things up a notch and be ready to fight foe a long series.

I think both your POV and sacniner's is fair regarding the timing. I thought that was weak. But laying out a guard that comes down the lane? BFD.
  • titan
  • Veteran
I don't think we should completely blow up the team, we just need some young bloods on starting position and definitely speed off the bench. With that said, I personally would not mind any of these starting and backup players combos.IMHO

Due to early exit(Too Much Time To Spare):Possible Wish! Bench may be really wishing, but you'll be amaze how many will take a paycut for a ring and to play in LA!

3rd choice-Not Shaking team too much incase teams get greedy!
PG-Derron Williams(Trade) Odom PG-Blake,Barrea(Free Agent)
SG-Kobe Bryant SG-Brown,JR Smith(FA)
SF-Zach Randolph(free agent) SF -Ron Artest,Barnes,Ebanks
PF-Pau Gasol PF/C-Derick Caracter
C-Andrew Bynum

5th choice-
PG-TJ Ford or Acie Law(free agent) PG-Steve Blake,Shannon Brown
SG-Kobe Bryant SG-JR Smith
SF-Zach Randolph(free agent) SF-Artest,Barnes,Ebanks
PF-Dwight Howard(trade) Gasol PF/C-Derick Caracter
C- Andrew Bynum

4th choice-
PG-Jameer Nelson(trade)trade? PG-TJ Ford (FA),Blake
SG-Kobe Bryant SG-JR Smith(FA),Brown
SF-Lamar Odom SF-Artest,Andrei Kirilenko(FA)
C-Dwight Howard(trade)Bynum

2nd choice-
PG-ChrisPaul(trade)Odom PG-Steve Blake, Acie Law
SG-Kobe Bryant SG-Shannon Brown,JR Smith(FA)
SF-Zach Randolph(Free Agent) SF-Artest,Tey Prince(FA)
C-Dwight Howard(trade)Bynum C-Alexis Ajinca 7'2 23yrs. old

1st choice-My Favorite!
PG-Chris Paul(trade) Odom PG-Steve Blake,TJ Ford
SG-Kobe Bryant SG-Brown,JR Smith(Free Agent)
SF-Zach Randolph(free agent) SF-Artest,Barnes,Kirilenko(FA)
C-Andrew Bynum

[ Edited by titan on May 10, 2011 at 22:39:40 ]
Originally posted by titan:
I don't think we should completely blow up the team, we just need some young bloods on starting position and definitely speed off the bench. With that said, I personally would not mind any of these starting and backup players combos.IMHO

Due to early exit(Too Much Time To Spare):Possible Wish! Bench may be really wishing, but you'll be amaze how many will take a paycut for a ring and to play in LA!

3rd choice-Not Shaking team too much incase teams get greedy!
PG-Derron Williams(Trade) Odom PG-Blake,Barrea(Free Agent)
SG-Kobe Bryant SG-Brown,JR Smith(FA)
SF-Zach Randolph(free agent) SF -Ron Artest,Barnes,Ebanks
C-Andrew Bynum

5th choice-
PG-TJ Ford or Acie Law(free agent) PG-Steve Blake,Shannon Brown
SG-Kobe Bryant SG-JR Smith
SF-Zach Randolph(free agent) SF-Artest,Barnes,Ebanks
C- Andrew Bynum

4th choice-
PG-Jameer Nelson(trade)trade? PG-TJ Ford (FA),Blake
SG-Kobe Bryant SG-JR Smith(FA),Brown
SF-Lamar Odom SF-Artest,Andrei Kirilenko(FA)
C-Dwight Howard(trade)Bynum

2nd choice-
PG-ChrisPaul(trade)Odom PG-Steve Blake, Acie Law
SG-Kobe Bryant SG-Shannon Brown,JR Smith(FA)
SF-Zach Randolph(Free Agent) SF-Artest,Tey Prince(FA)
C-Dwight Howard(trade)Bynum C-Alexis Ajinca 7'2 23yrs. old

1st choice-My Favorite!
PG-Chris Paul(trade) Odom PG-Steve Blake,TJ Ford
SG-Kobe Bryant SG-Brown,JR Smith(Free Agent)
SF-Zach Randolph(free agent) SF-Artest,Barnes,Kirilenko(FA)
C-Andrew Bynum

All that made my brain hurt.
^ those are all pretty ridiculous too
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
^ those are all pretty ridiculous too
Will Dwight really go to LA? That would be ridiculous in itself, and this talk about CP3 as well?

Man if Phil Jackson could've stayed one more year, and if these two greats come to join the Mamba in LA,

this completely outweighs the Lebron, Dwayde, and Bosh combo, plus the fact that LA has a solid bench, they would be unstoppable for the years to come.

I wonder who the next coach will be...
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
Will Dwight really go to LA? That would be ridiculous in itself, and this talk about CP3 as well?

Man if Phil Jackson could've stayed one more year, and if these two greats come to join the Mamba in LA,

this completely outweighs the Lebron, Dwayde, and Bosh combo, plus the fact that LA has a solid bench, they would be unstoppable for the years to come.

I wonder who the next coach will be...
LA has a solid bench? Since when?
So, Lakers fans... Who would you rather get in the offseason if we have to give up one of our bigs to do so, Chris Paul or Dwight Howard?
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com