There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Los Angeles Lakers Offseason Thread

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Garnett was close to signing with Lakers
Kevin Garnett nearly went from the Land of 10,000 Lakes to the Lakers. [Garnett, on a national radio show, touched on] the possibility of him joining the Lakers as opposed to the Celtics before the 2007 season. Garnett made it clear he absolutely wanted out of Minnesota, but he said turmoil in Los Angeles prevented him from playing there. "I was pretty close to be honest," said Garnett. "What disturbed me about the whole Lakers situation was Kobe and Phil at the time. They were at each other pretty bad, and it was a new situation I didn't want to get into ... It was my choice, yeah. There was a lot going on and I didn't want to be a part of it."
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/morning-jolt/09/02/0902/index.html#ixzz1Wo37MWMc

Thank god that fell through.

The only reason I agree with you is that it would have cost us Bynum & Odom, and I much prefer the deal for Pau.

But I woulda loved to have Kobe & KG together. KG's one of my favorite players. Yeah, he's a gigantic douche, but let's not act like Kobe isn't.

I wanted KG at the time. I'll admit it. But he obviously made the wrong choice, since he's got the one ring and the Lakers have won 2 since that went down.

I'm glad we ended up without him.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Kevin Garnett nearly went from the Land of 10,000 Lakes to the Lakers. [Garnett, on a national radio show, touched on] the possibility of him joining the Lakers as opposed to the Celtics before the 2007 season. Garnett made it clear he absolutely wanted out of Minnesota, but he said turmoil in Los Angeles prevented him from playing there. "I was pretty close to be honest," said Garnett. "What disturbed me about the whole Lakers situation was Kobe and Phil at the time. They were at each other pretty bad, and it was a new situation I didn't want to get into ... It was my choice, yeah. There was a lot going on and I didn't want to be a part of it."
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/morning-jolt/09/02/0902/index.html#ixzz1Wo37MWMc

The only reason I agree with you is that it would have cost us Bynum & Odom, and I much prefer the deal for Pau.

But I woulda loved to have Kobe & KG together. KG's one of my favorite players. Yeah, he's a gigantic douche, but let's not act like Kobe isn't.

I wanted KG at the time. I'll admit it. But he obviously made the wrong choice, since he's got the one ring and the Lakers have won 2 since that went down.

Ya. We woulda had Kobe, KG, nothing else, and almost no flexibility to get much else. (just the MLE)

That may have been enough in '08, but if KG's leg gives out the way it did in '09, we'd be up s**t Creek.

True, but they are different types of douches. (Alleged) raping douche > whiny pound his chest about every frikken rebound douche.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Same here. I woulda been so pumped if we would have gotten him but that would have been WAY worse for us in the long run.

Yeah, he's a gigantic douche, but let's not act like Kobe isn't.

q f t

(Even more proof that you are more objective than most. )
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
True, but they are different types of douches. (Alleged) raping douche > whiny pound his chest about every frikken rebound douche.

I think it's more about his personality than the rape case, personally. Maybe I'm wrong there. But by the same token, it grates at me when people who idolize Michael Jordan and/or Jerry Rice complain whine about what d-bag Kobe is.
football got me so excited i almost forgot i was a laker fan
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
football got me so excited i almost forgot i was a laker fan

lulz

I think it's more about his personality than the rape case, personally. Maybe I'm wrong there. But by the same token, it grates at me when people who idolize Michael Jordan and/or Jerry Rice complain whine about what d-bag Kobe is.
I agree. I was just trying to make a funny.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
Jerry west says phil didn't respect him

"So one of the problems I had with Phil was this," West writes. "His office was right near mine and when he would arrive in the morning, he would walk right past and never even bother to wave or duck his head in to say hello.
"He would later say that he felt the need to stake out his territory, that on top of that he was 'a wack job,' but I am sure it was more than that."
West compares Jackson's attitude to Pat Riley's reach for more power after winning titles as the Laker coach, but West suggests that Jackson's display was a colder version to experience.
"Phil and I had no relationship," West writes. "None. He didn't want me around and had absolutely no respect for me—of that, I have no doubt.
–West re-counts and confirms one of the long-rumored tension points–West says Jackson threw him out of the locker room after a game, personally (“Jerry, get the f– out, I’m not finished here yet,” West quotes Jackson as saying, though West adds that Jackson later said he didn’t know it was West.)

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2011/09/10/jerry-west-on-phil-jackson-wilt-kareem-kobe-magic-and-everything-a-searing-searching-autobiography/
  • crzy
  • Veteran
i'm preordering jerry west's book lol

http://www.amazon.com/West-My-Charmed-Tormented-Life/dp/031605349X

should be a great read
  • crzy
  • Veteran
“It pained me to see how much of a struggle it was for me,” West writes, “how unwilling Kobe was to defer to Shaq in any way.”

Wow, i can already tell this book will be epic
It's official:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/6977866/los-angeles-lakers-ron-artest-name-now-officially-metta-world-peace

Thank you based god.
It's official:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/6977866/los-angeles-lakers-ron-artest-name-now-officially-metta-world-peace

Thank you based god.

now my life is complete
Originally posted by crzy:
“It pained me to see how much of a struggle it was for me,” West writes, “how unwilling Kobe was to defer to Shaq in any way.”

Wow, i can already tell this book will be epic

"It pained me to see how much of a struggle it was for me how unwilling Kobe was to defer to Shaq in any way"?

Was Sydney Mayhew his editor?
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com