There are 133 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Los Angeles Lakers Offseason Thread

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
AI has lost a step, a big step. He is not where near the player he was 2-3 years ago.

No he didn't.

I dunno. He's been fighting knee tendinitis and isn't as athletic as he used to be, IMO.

He's still just 27 and is one of the most complete basketball players out there. Elite perimeter defender (8th in DPOY voting, all defensive 2nd team, should have been 1st) who can guard the opposition's best offensive 1,2, or 3.. one of the best rebounders and passers of any wing (maybe only behind LBJ), and he can shoot and get to the hoop.
So Ron Artest is changing his name to Metta World Peace.

Seriously.

ship him the f*ck out of LA, tomorrow. I hated watching him dribble enough, now i have to look at 'Peace" while he dripples off his leg?

Btw great job on Goudelock call LA, he looks like something we haven't had in......ever. a PG with range.

Whatd you got on the kid from Michigan?
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
So Ron Artest is changing his name to Metta World Peace.

Seriously.

ship him the f*ck out of LA, tomorrow. I hated watching him dribble enough, now i have to look at 'Peace" while he dripples off his leg?

Btw great job on Goudelock call LA, he looks like something we haven't had in......ever. a PG with range.

Whatd you got on the kid from Michigan?

I'm stoked about Morris, I didn't think he'd be there at 41.

The good

-Possibly the "purest" PG in the draft, in terms of getting teammates involved. He dished out 8.8 APG per 40 MPG (pace adjusted), which was #1 in the country. That's especially impressive since he played in a major conference and was only a sophomore. Good on drive and dish situations.

-Big & strong for his position. He's between 6'4" - 6'5" in shoes, and a very solid 190lbs with only 5.3% body fat. He physically punishes other PGs with his size. If he gets a step on his man, he does a good job of keeping them on his hip and either getting to the basket or hitting the 10-12 footer. He does a good job of getting to the line as a result of this as well.

-High rate of improvement from last year to this year in most facets of his game. Went from 18% from 3 in his freshman year () to 28% this year (still , but not as much) and from 63% to 77% on FTs, so he obviously worked on his shot. Also wasn't even much of a PG last year...they thought they might use him as a SG. He took the PG reigns this year and thrived.

-Good on the pick and roll, which Mike Brown used a lot of in Cleveland.

The bad

-Dude can't shoot. He improved, but he still has a long way to go in this area. Outside of 12-14 feet, he's very unreliable.

-I don't think he has the lateral quickness to be a good defender against PGs, although a couple of the draft writeups I've read disagree. I don't think he's gonna be able to stick with the CP3's, Westbrook's, Parker's, etc. of the world.

-He has a tendency to force passes that aren't there, turning the ball over.

-Below average athlete at the NBA level, which makes me wonder how well he'll be able to finish in the pros.

Summary

He gets compared to Andre Miller a lot. I see the comparison, but I think it's pretty optimistic. He's big, strong, has a good mid range game but he's not a 3 point threat, and has tremendous court vision. Very similar to Miller in that respect. nbadraft.net compares him to Andre Miller/Ramon Sessions, and I think Sessions is a more accurate comparison.

Here's what Chad Ford has to say about him in a write-up last month.

"...Morris has improved dramatically since high school and may be the most improved player in college basketball. NBA executives tend to love big point guards, and Morris is the biggest true point guard in the draft. That was noticeable the second we walked in the gym. Morris is a legit 6-foot-5 in shoes. He has broad shoulders and has a power game that's reminiscent of a young Andre Miller. Anyone who has watched Morris play knows he can make the spectacular pass and really knows how to run a team. The question marks are around his jump shot and his lateral quickness. While Morris doesn't possess the shooting touch of Kyrie Irving or the speed of Kemba Walker, he showed on Wednesday that he's better at both than he's given credit for (video here). While he's not an elite athlete, he's quicker with the ball than you think and shows great control with his handle. Morris also showed off a terrific midrange jumper in drills. His NBA 3-point shot was solid but still needs work. Morris has elite size and may have the best court vision of anyone in the draft. Add in his defensive abilities and a great, supportive family background, and I can see Morris sticking in the first round."

[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jun 24, 2011 at 09:19:23 ]
  • Amir
  • Veteran
Eff the Lakers
I'm reading on twitter that Dwight Howard jus got traded to LA for Bynum, Odom and steve Blake!

I'm on my phone so I can't link anything
Originally posted by socalfan21:
I'm reading on twitter that Dwight Howard jus got traded to LA for Bynum, Odom and steve Blake!

LOL ur late dude. It was a false rumor.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

LOL I'm not late I read it 2 hours ago

Well, you were late bringing it here. It was already posted in another thread.

Well, you were late bringing it here. It was already posted in another thread.

In the Orlando threat in which I don't have any reason to read
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I just got a boner, then when limp when I scrolled down and saw this reply.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I just got a boner, then when limp when I scrolled down and saw this reply.

I still have a boner :(
Let's talk hypotheticals. If the Lakers were to trade Bynum AND Gasol I feel like that would be an AWFUL deal for LA. I don't mind giving up Bynum and Odom but Bynum and Gasol is terrible.
Let's talk hypotheticals. If the Lakers were to trade Bynum AND Gasol I feel like that would be an AWFUL deal for LA. I don't mind giving up Bynum and Odom but Bynum and Gasol is terrible.

You think a guy thats injured all the time and a mid tier SF is worth the best center in basketball?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

You think a guy thats injured all the time and a mid tier SF is worth the best center in basketball?

Best deal they will get for Howard. If Bynum doesn't work out he's a 15 mil expiring K.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Best deal they will get for Howard. If Bynum doesn't work out he's a 15 mil expiring K.

lol No chance thats the best deal they get for Dwight. Chicago could offer Noah and Deng and picks, OKC could offer Westbrook+Ibaka or picks, the Clippers could offer Minnesota's unprotected pick next year+young guys, the Russian guy in NJ/Brooklyn could offer Lopez and some other combination, Warriors could offer picks and young guys like Udoh and Thompson, heck even the Kings could offer Evans+picks+young guys if they wanted to team Howard up with Cousins. There is no chance the Lakers make the Magic the best offer for Dwight. There are so many other offers for them to atleast consider it's ridiculous. Bynum is not a sure thing and at worst he is an expiring contract, and Odom literally does nothing for them because he's entering his 30s and he's not a star player or even a 1 or 2 option on a good team plus hes got a year and a half(if you count the buy out for 2 mill) on his contract.

So then you are saying that they have the best deal because 2 years from now the Orlando Magic have essentially ended up with nothing but clearing Howard's salary from the books and that does nothing for them because they arent going to pick up an equal player in FA anyway. They would need a combination of picks and players that are talented if they are going to deal Dwight, Lakers cant offer that because their roster is getting old and they dont have any young talent besides Bynum who is never going to be as good as Dwight and is way more injury prone than Dwight.

The Magic dealing Dwight to the Lakers would be f**king stupid and the only reason its out there is because the Lakers are a big market team and media loves to speculate about them. But when you break down their offer its not even good compared to other teams. Even Bynum/Gasol probably wouldnt be their best offer. What are they supposed to do with a frontcourt of Gasol who is in his prime and is a lesser player than Dwight, and Bynum who might not even play? And you were the one who said that even that offer feels like the Magic would be ripping the Lakers off, which is not even the case.
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com