There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

General NBA Playoff Discussion

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I just saw somewhere that this is the first time in 13 years that there's no Shaq, Kobe, or Duncan in the Finals. That's pretty friggin amazing, IMO.

Originally posted by Joecool:
I just saw somewhere that this is the first time in 13 years that there's no Shaq, Kobe, or Duncan in the Finals. That's pretty friggin amazing, IMO.

i'm glad.. new NBA.. bring the next generation cats in
Originally posted by bayarealuv:

I like seeing something new, too. Of course I wouldn't mind of my Lakers won it every year (), but it's cool to see some change. I really don't anticipate the Lakers being out of the loop too long, but they'll need to retool a little.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Numbers can help a lot of debates but they don't tell the entire impact of the player. Numbers can also claim that Jason Kidd was one of the best 3-point shooters in the game and his percentages are not too far behind Ray Allens'.

But, we have all seen them play and know this isn't even a close argument but 30 years from now, someone can debate this using numbers alone.

Exactly. Most of you are not 50 years old as I am and I have been watching sports since I was 5. So there is next to no one in here that has witnessed the evolution of football and basketball due to rule changes like I have. It is also rare that commentators and sports shows ever mention the evolution of the rules in these games. How many guys under 40 in here know that they used to shoot all fouls in NBA games? That offensive lineman in the NFL basically could not extend their arms when blocking? That defensive lineman could hit an offensive lineman in the head? Rule changes over the years have made it to where you just can't blindly compare stats.

I like seeing something new, too. Of course I wouldn't mind of my Lakers won it every year (), but it's cool to see some change. I really don't anticipate the Lakers being out of the loop too long, but they'll need to retool a little.

They should be fine. They just need a point guard. Their front line gets too much criticism. They played well in the other years on deep runs. PG is where they get exploited more than anything else. If they fix that they should be back in the mix.

It is good to see some young new teams in the mix. It's fun to see Rose, Durant, Wade/Lebron doing well with young fast teams.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on May 12, 2011 at 3:56 PM ]
Originally posted by BobS:
Numbers can help a lot of debates but they don't tell the entire impact of the player. Numbers can also claim that Jason Kidd was one of the best 3-point shooters in the game and his percentages are not too far behind Ray Allens'.

But, we have all seen them play and know this isn't even a close argument but 30 years from now, someone can debate this using numbers alone.

Exactly. Most of you are not 50 years old as I am and I have been watching sports since I was 5. So there is next to no one in here that has witnessed the evolution of football and basketball due to rule changes like I have. It is also rare that commentators and sports shows ever mention the evolution of the rules in these games. How many guys under 40 in here know that they used to shoot all fouls in NBA games? That offensive lineman in the NFL basically could not extend their arms when blocking? That defensive lineman could hit an offensive lineman in the head? Rule changes over the years have made it to where you just can't blindly compare stats.

Being older doesn't add any validity to your opinion.

No one was "blindly comparing stats". I gave other reasons as well...such as the TREMENDOUS gap in size & athleticism between Wilt & Rodman's era...along with using stats to show that there were many more available rebounds in his era.

I could have also mentioned that for the first few years of Wilt's career, the lane wasn't as wide as it is now, so Wilt would just camp out virtually right next to the basket. The lane was widened in 1965.

And finally, Wilt played his last game in 1973. So if you're 50 years old, that means that he retired when you were about 12 years old, and in an era when there weren't nearly as many televised games. And it also means you were still in diapers when he was in his prime.

Spare me the "I'm older so I know more" junk.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

No one was "blindly comparing stats". I gave other reasons as well...such as the TREMENDOUS gap in size & athleticism between Wilt & Rodman's era...along with using stats to show that there were many more available rebounds in his era.

I could have also mentioned that for the first few years of Wilt's career, the lane wasn't as wide as it is now, so Wilt would just camp out virtually right next to the basket. The lane was widened in 1965.

And finally, Wilt played his last game in 1973. So if you're 50 years old, that means that he retired when you were about 12 years old, and in an era when there weren't nearly as many televised games. And it also means you were still in diapers when he was in his prime.

If somebody has seen more time periods in sports they have seen some different eras and teams and stars. That's not hard to believe. Just like somebody that grew up with Jordan will think Jordan is best. Or somebody who grew up with Kobe will think Kobe is best. Lots of young kids now think Lebron/Wade are the best. The era you see has an impression on you. It doesn't really make it right or wrong.

Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Lucky motherf**kers...

i could be wrong because they might turn it up later but chicago doesnt seeem like a championship team to me they had like 25 offensive rebounds that wont happen against the better teams like magib boston or even miami

Yea, ain't happening against Dwight Howard. If Magic plays at 85-90% in the series, Chicago will be one and done.

• BobS
  • Veteran

It seems you are the typical modern day young guy who has no respect for what someone older than you experienced with their own two eyes. Even back in the stone ages most Laker away games were on TV and all home games were broadcast on radio. With Chick Hearn calling the games on radio, he didn't miss anything, you could visualize what was happening. I am sure your knowledge of the past you read on the internet is way more accurate than what I saw with my own two eyes.
NBA champions= whoever wins the eastern finals.
I'd probably root for the Bulls but I can't stand Boozer, he has a face you just to want to punch, just like Otter's. I'll root for the Heat in the championship if they get there just because everyone is going to hate

#dealwithit
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
NBA champions= whoever wins the eastern finals.

Heat.

It seems you are the typical modern day young guy who has no respect for what someone older than you experienced with their own two eyes. Even back in the stone ages most Laker away games were on TV and all home games were broadcast on radio. With Chick Hearn calling the games on radio, he didn't miss anything, you could visualize what was happening. I am sure your knowledge of the past you read on the internet is way more accurate than what I saw with my own two eyes.

Cut the crap. You were 12 years old when he RETIRED. You were much younger when he was in his prime. So I'm supposed to bow to your knowledge based on your recollection of Chamberlain when you watched him sparingly 40 years ago as a boy, and because Chick Hearn painted such a vivid picture?

There's plenty of surviving footage of Chamberlain. The basis of my opinions aren't him aren't simply "the past I read on the internet.

You're right, I have no inherent respect for what someone older saw. There are plenty of stupid old people. There are plenty of brilliant and wise ones too. Age doesn't rid you of stupidity, nor does it endow you with wisdom.

I could listen to John Wooden (RIP), Hubie Brown, Jerry West, etc. talk about basketball all day...and it ain't because they're old.
Originally posted by teeohh:
I'd probably root for the Bulls but I can't stand Boozer, he has a face you just to want to punch, just like Otter's. I'll root for the Heat in the championship if they get there just because everyone is going to hate
#dealwithit

I know right lol