LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
This QB swith may have doomed our season.

I don't believe the QB change had anything to do with what happened last night, and I don't believe we win in New England with our old QB.
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Honestly, this was a perfect storm for the Seahawks. The 49ers were coming off their biggest high of the season by beating the Patriots in Foxborough. If you noticed the past 4 weeks, the #1 ranked teams all lost the next week. The Texans were ranked #1 week 13, and then week 14 the Patriots blew them out. Then the Patriots were ranked #1 after that, and the 49ers beat them. Now we were ranked #1 and the Seahawks beat us. It is a trend that keeps happening. The seahawks were playing at home where they never lose. Petey REALLY wanted a win against Harbaugh. The Seahawks wanted to clinch their spot in the playoffs after we already clinched ours. The intensity and momentum was all in the Hawks favor this week. Thank God we beat the Patriots because we would be fighting for a wildcard spot rather than a division title or #2 seed.

Finally a voice of reason!!!! You nailed it!
The way i look at it is this.

This team has always had some shortcomings on Offense, But Alex, who was called a Game Manager, But was really more like a game General, did alot to comerup for those shortcomings through realtime adjustments at the LOS. That, and he beleived in spreading the football around, and riding Gore as the bell Cow. This was the way the offense was tailored to fit his mentality and strengths as a QB.

The Media latched on to AS as the weak link to the offense, for lack of a better term he was the scapegoat. Always has been since he was drafted.

With AS getting the media attention, all harbaugh had to do was defend his QB. That is much easier to do than to defend ones own shortcomings as a coach.

Now that AS is no longer the scapegoat, the media is begining to see that this is not the dreamteam it was last season. They are begining to question why? A few of harbaughs questionable decisions this season are coming front and center, and harbaugh has yet to own those decisions. My biggest problem with harbaugh right now is the fact that he is stubborn, and hasnt taken responsibility for the mistakes he has made. I still think he is a quality coach, but i am begining to seriously question his integrity when it comes to taking responsibility for the problems he and his staff has caused with this team.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Why was harbaugh so determined to risk injury to kap in the waning moments of a blowout? I understand he needs reps in live action and he has started only a handful of games, but I have a major problem with calling a qb sneak for a meaningless first down. Once again the harbaugh ego takes presedence over everything. He couldn't stand the taste of a pete carroll blowout so he risks it all for nothing. Harbaugh is starting to resemble rex ryan. So much rah rah, so much mouth, but he gets outcoached regularly and his team masks his defeciencies as a coach. It should be the other way around

PL, especially when you say Harbaugh is no better than Rex Ryan (wow), how about an over-reaction with this comment. NFC championship game last year and 10-4-1 this year. come on. If we play the Seaguls again in the playoffs, Harbs will find a way to out coach Carrol as usual. He out coached him in college and so far 3-1 in the NFL against him, come on son please with this crap.
Originally posted by Mister49:
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Honestly, this was a perfect storm for the Seahawks. The 49ers were coming off their biggest high of the season by beating the Patriots in Foxborough. If you noticed the past 4 weeks, the #1 ranked teams all lost the next week. The Texans were ranked #1 week 13, and then week 14 the Patriots blew them out. Then the Patriots were ranked #1 after that, and the 49ers beat them. Now we were ranked #1 and the Seahawks beat us. It is a trend that keeps happening. The seahawks were playing at home where they never lose. Petey REALLY wanted a win against Harbaugh. The Seahawks wanted to clinch their spot in the playoffs after we already clinched ours. The intensity and momentum was all in the Hawks favor this week. Thank God we beat the Patriots because we would be fighting for a wildcard spot rather than a division title or #2 seed.

Finally a voice of reason!!!! You nailed it!
I'll second that! And let me add that everything went their way. It happens.

Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:

I don't believe the QB change had anything to do with what happened last night, and I don't believe we win in New England with our old QB.

but you have to believe niners dont lose in st louis with smith, right?
Originally posted by hofer36:

Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:

but you have to believe niners dont lose in st louis with smith, right?

Alex had some of his best games vs. the Rams. We beat the Rams with him. Both times.
Originally posted by LB49ers:
Why was harbaugh so determined to risk injury to kap in the waning moments of a blowout? I understand he needs reps in live action and he has started only a handful of games, but I have a major problem with calling a qb sneak for a meaningless first down. Once again the harbaugh ego takes presedence over everything. He couldn't stand the taste of a pete carroll blowout so he risks it all for nothing. Harbaugh is starting to resemble rex ryan. So much rah rah, so much mouth, but he gets outcoached regularly and his team masks his defeciencies as a coach. It should be the other way around

I think he can't pull Kap now because if Smith comes in and throws for a few touchdowns and looks good he is screwed. He wants Kap and knows that if Smith looks better he will have a divided locker room and be blasted by the media. I think he really has painted himself in a corner and may have cost us a superbowl this year.

Ridiculous post imo.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
The team is 10-4-1. How is he being outcoached?
Did you watch the game last night?

Funny how u pretend to know what Harbaugh is thinking and his intentions.
[ Edited by kronik on Dec 24, 2012 at 3:55 PM ]

Everything worked in seagulls favor...Wilson threw some balls he didn't even know how the WRs catch em..seagulls had the momentum..niners didn't expect hoping this would help to learn how to be ready for situations like this...a win doesn't mean the seagulls are better..let's move on...
Originally posted by LB49ers:

I think he can't pull Kap now because if Smith comes in and throws for a few touchdowns and looks good he is screwed. He wants Kap and knows that if Smith looks better he will have a divided locker room and be blasted by the media. I think he really has painted himself in a corner and may have cost us a superbowl this year.

Couldnt of said it better myself LB
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
yup the the team is a true reflection of the head coach and the 49ers conduct themselves very professionally. even through a QB change.

The QB switch was handled professionally because of Smith's personality. With other QBs, it'd have likely been ugly.
  • dj43
One area in which Harbaugh's ego certainly hurts the team, IMO, is his sideline behavior with the officials. His constant baiting and complaining does not help his team. Officials will do one of two things in that situation: tune him out completely, or wait for a chance to put him in his place. All a coach can ask of the officials is the benefit of the doubt in a close call. Recent calls on the field force me to question if Harbaugh is getting any consideration at all.

I have both coached a lot of games and reffed a lot of games, and though they were not at anything like this level, I can tell anyone who wants to listen, that officials are a pretty close bunch. They know which coaches are loud mouths and which ones are very measured in their comments. In the first case, the refs tune them out. In the second case, the refs know and respect the coach so when he questions a decision, they are much more willing to listen...just giving him the benefit of the doubt.

As a coach, players get distracted by constant yelling by the coach. They don't say anything publicly but they know the game well enough to know when the coach is just running his mouth and when he shouldn't. In a close competitive game, the coach MUST be the one calm voice in a storm of emotion. Harbaugh's record in challenges in one of the worst in the league. I can't help but think that if he were more composed on the sidelines he would not have wasted as many challenges and timeouts as he has.

For a guy that says he idolized Bill Walsh, to have such a lack of composure and appropriate demeanor on the sidelines makes me question if he really listened to everything Bill told him about coaching. Seems like he needs to get his ego under control and coach the game in a more considered way.

I think so too.
Harbaugh is too stubborn to switch back and it's gonna cost us this season.

I still think Alex is the better option right now and that Kaep isn't ready yet.
Share 49ersWebzone