LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Per Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports, Seahawks' players said that Harbaugh honked his car horn and mockingly saluted the Seattle team buses as they departed Candlestick following a loss in October. If you believe that such an antic can motivate a team, then may be it figured in the 49ers debacle. "Happy Birthday [Harbaugh turned 49 on Sunday] — that's what you get," safety Earl Thomas said. "Yeah, he [honked at us]. It seems like he tries to be a professional in front of the camera, but he does his antics, like that, when the cameras aren't around. He's just a big kid. We don't worry about that stuff. We just play the game. The best team won [Sunday], and it was convincing." link

Disgraceful.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Harbaugh does have a huge ego. All successful coaches have to have a fair amount of ego in order to have the drive that is needed to win. However, in Harbaugh's case, he got a triple measure of ego. His ego shows up in just about every thing he does. From his constant baiting of officials on the sidelines, to his just plain rude treatment of questions by the media, to his stubborn refusal to move away from power running in the red zone despite continued lack of success, to a half dozen other things, Harbaugh's ego clearly stands in the way of the needed adjustments to maximize the talent on this team. Combine all that with his Type A personality and his act will wear very thin very quickly with both media and players.

I hate to keep going back to Bill Walsh all the time but he is still the measuring rod for local media. Walsh was always pleasant and accommodating with media. Even when he didn't want to reveal something, he would politely answer the question in a way that all could understand. Harbaugh, by comparison, blatantly moves into another area completely, thereby making whatever answer he gives of no value to the press that is getting paid to try to get something out of him that makes sense to readers. Harbaugh has gotten a pass from everyone so far because he has turned the team around and gotten some wins. The truth is, most of the talent on this team came before Harbaugh. All he has done is put the pieces together, something Singletary, one of the most unprepared, unqualified HCs ever to hold the position, could not do.

There are other problems:

Couple of specifics: Harbaugh continues to rely on the same schemes rather than recognizing the need for change. Nowhere was this more apparent than in the red zone last night. While Seattle was spreading the field, often with an empty backfield and 5 receivers, which resulted in ridiculously easy TDs throws for Wilson, the 49ers could not get anything done with their heavy sets. This has gone on all season long but still JH refuses to recognize what should have been obvious.

Harbaugh refuses to recognize the short-comings of a very inexperienced, though physically talented, QB. I love Kaepernick. He comes from a town just a few miles from my house. I love his back story. However, his lack of experience was never more clearly demonstrated than last night. So while that lack of experience by itself did not loose the game, his confusion and lack of confidence clearly had an impact on the way the offense was playing. Harbaugh's stubborn refusal to put Smith into a game in which Kaepernick was clearly struggling is another example of ego overcoming judgement.

Alex Smith was admired and appreciated by his teammates, not only for what he overcame, but for his cool and success in calling plays and making adjustments at the LOS. He was, as admitted by all, a master game manager. Of course the players will publicly support whoever the coach puts in the position, they also have their own feelings which they keep inside. Those feelings and reservations do affect their confidence and play on the field. Going into a big game like last night, and seeing the problems caused by inexperience so early in the game, it had to have an impact on the play of the offense. Never before have we seen individual players on the OL getting beat so consistently as last night. There is nothing else other than a lack of confidence to account for the tentative and inconsistent play of the OL.

Of course there are other flaws on this team. The secondary was exposed due to the lack of pass rush (Justin Smith's loss was crushing) but that happens to the best of secondaries. Also the lack of a speed guy to keep the Seattle safeties out of the box continues to be a problem. The absence of the #1 draft pick, a guy with the kind of speed sorely needed by this team right now, is another suggestion that Harbaugh's ego is in the way. Why he doesn't get Jenkins into the game is a baffling question. Did Baalke just completely screw up that pick? We likely won't know the answer to that until next season. For now, Harbaugh's demonstrated ego masks the question.

Will last night have any positive impact on Harbaugh to modify his approach? From what I have seen, the answer is no. We will continue to see more of the same stuff. Getting out coached by more flexible, more NFL-experienced HCs is the likely prospect for the playoffs based on what this season has brought us to this point.

Bravo

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by vaden:
Harbaugh does have a huge ego. All successful coaches have to have a fair amount of ego in order to have the drive that is needed to win. However, in Harbaugh's case, he got a triple measure of ego. His ego shows up in just about every thing he does. From his constant baiting of officials on the sidelines, to his just plain rude treatment of questions by the media, to his stubborn refusal to move away from power running in the red zone despite continued lack of success, to a half dozen other things, Harbaugh's ego clearly stands in the way of the needed adjustments to maximize the talent on this team. Combine all that with his Type A personality and his act will wear very thin very quickly with both media and players.

I hate to keep going back to Bill Walsh all the time but he is still the measuring rod for local media. Walsh was always pleasant and accommodating with media. Even when he didn't want to reveal something, he would politely answer the question in a way that all could understand. Harbaugh, by comparison, blatantly moves into another area completely, thereby making whatever answer he gives of no value to the press that is getting paid to try to get something out of him that makes sense to readers. Harbaugh has gotten a pass from everyone so far because he has turned the team around and gotten some wins. The truth is, most of the talent on this team came before Harbaugh. All he has done is put the pieces together, something Singletary, one of the most unprepared, unqualified HCs ever to hold the position, could not do.

Couple of specifics: Harbaugh continues to rely on the same schemes rather than recognizing the need for change. Nowhere was this more apparent than in the red zone last night. While Seattle was spreading the field, often with an empty backfield and 5 receivers, which resulted in ridiculously easy TDs throws for Wilson, the 49ers could not get anything done with their heavy sets. This has gone on all season long but still JH refuses to recognize what should have been obvious.

Harbaugh refuses to recognize the short-comings of a very inexperienced, though physically talented, QB. I love Kaepernick. He comes from a town just a few miles from my house. I love his back story. However, his lack of experience was never more clearly demonstrated than last night. So while that lack of experience by itself did not loose the game, his confusion and lack of confidence clearly had an impact on the way the offense was playing. Harbaugh's stubborn refusal to put Smith into a game in which Kaepernick was clearly struggling is another example of ego overcoming judgement.

Alex Smith was admired and appreciated by his teammates, not only for what he overcame, but for his cool and success in calling plays and making adjustments at the LOS. He was, as admitted by all, a master game manager. Of course the players will publicly support whoever the coach puts in the position, they also have their own feelings which they keep inside. Those feelings and reservations do affect their confidence and play on the field. Going into a big game like last night, and seeing the problems caused by inexperience so early in the game, it had to have an impact on the play of the offense. Never before have we seen individual players on the OL getting beat so consistently as last night. There is nothing else other than a lack of confidence to account for the tentative and inconsistent play of the OL.

Of course there are other flaws on this team. The secondary was exposed due to the lack of pass rush (Justin Smith's loss was crushing) but that happens to the best of secondaries. Also the lack of a speed guy to keep the Seattle safeties out of the box continues to be a problem. The absence of the #1 draft pick, a guy with the kind of speed sorely needed by this team right now, is another suggestion that Harbaugh's ego is in the way. Why he doesn't get Jenkins into the game is a baffling question. Did Baalke just completely screw up that pick? We likely won't know the answer to that until next season. For now, Harbaugh's demonstrated ego masks the question.

Will last night have any positive impact on Harbaugh to modify his approach? From what I have seen, the answer is no. We will continue to see more of the same stuff. Getting out coached by more flexible, more NFL-experienced HCs is the likely prospect for the playoffs based on what this season has brought us to this point.

Bravo

well whatever he's doing I hope he keeps doing it his career coaching record is 23-7-1. I'll take that any day
  • dj43
Per Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports, Seahawks' players said that Harbaugh honked his car horn and mockingly saluted the Seattle team buses as they departed Candlestick following a loss in October. If you believe that such an antic can motivate a team, then may be it figured in the 49ers debacle. "Happy Birthday [Harbaugh turned 49 on Sunday] — that's what you get," safety Earl Thomas said. "Yeah, he [honked at us]. It seems like he tries to be a professional in front of the camera, but he does his antics, like that, when the cameras aren't around. He's just a big kid. We don't worry about that stuff. We just play the game. The best team won [Sunday], and it was convincing." link

Disgraceful.

Anyone would be a fool to think that the honking incident, combined with "What's your deal?" did not have an impact on the way the Seahawks approached and played this game. By all accounts, the Seahawk players love Carroll. He is warm and enthusiastic. So when an opponent acts unprofessionally and in a degrading manner, it gets the opponent fired up. I'm sure that had an impact.
  • dj43
Originally posted by susweel:

Bravo

well whatever he's doing I hope he keeps doing it his career coaching record is 23-7-1. I'll take that any day
Did you have anything else to add that we might discuss?

For me, I don't like seeing this team embarrassed by more professional-acting, better prepared coaches. Time for Jimmy boy to grow up.
fickle  
fick·le [fik-uh l] Show IPA
adjective 1. likely to change, especially due to caprice, irresolution, or instability; casually changeable: fickle weather.

2. not constant or loyal in affections: a fickle lover.

and pickle?
Not having Justin Smith was a huge loss to the team. The area that we are really thin is D-line. This is going to impact us in our playoff run. You bet Baalke is going to address the D-line next year.

Yes the game sucked last night, our defense looked a little tired and Russell Wilson schooled us.

Kaepernick got his first Seattle experience......and he is going to learn. FRIGGIN HARBAUGH AND ROMAN have to get the plays in more quickly.

Going away from the run so early was DEATH for the team.

The game was all downhill after the blocked kick, the was HUGE in the game. We were gathering momentum and if we score its 14-3 vs 21-0.

ROMAN, Harbaugh, Chryst.......they need to have a better end zone game. We can't settle for 3's. We need to score touchdowns.

Yes, we didn't look good but it's not the end of the world. Justin Smith out for the playoff will kill us. We need Jenkins, LaMichael James to step up.
we have some fans who expect everything to be perfect for all 16 games of the season. Overreact much?!
We don't know for sure if a lot of the stupid stuff done this season would've been guaranteed to make our record different, but it's hard not to think about it at least.

Instead of 10-4-1, we might be 12-3 with a shot still at homefield. Woulda coulda shoulda.

Disgraceful.

he says that like carroll isn't.

Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

Disgraceful.

They're all big kids...didn't Carroll play a prank on USC once -- threw a dummy off a building or something?

But sheesh, Harbaugh, what a complete childish moronic move...gawd....we have a tard for a coach.
[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Dec 24, 2012 at 11:11 AM ]

Did you have anything else to add that we might discuss?

For me, I don't like seeing this team embarrassed by more professional-acting, better prepared coaches. Time for Jimmy boy to grow up.

I find some of what you say plausible. Although I do disagree with some important bits. You do make some conclusory remarks which I think are open to debate, but I suspect that we would not agree on those. I did listen to Harbaugh's post-game interview and did not find it overly offense, or offensive at all. (Some suggested Kaepernicks was; I didn't find anything wrong woith that one either).

I don't know precisely what is meant by "ego"; everyone has one. If you mean by this, as I suspect that you do in this case: One's "way of doing things", I really doubt that Harbaugh is going to change much at this stage of his life or career on how he goes about doing his job.

So given that, and without me taking any position on it one way or another, let me ask you: What do you think should be done about it? Make a coaching change? Maybe?
  • Jiks
I heard "The Brick" talking about this on the radio last night. He said something along the lines of the same thing. Harbaughs ego just may have ruined this team this season. He thinks he is smarter than he actually is, and lets his ego get in the way. We win 2 games and suddenly we are the best team in the league, then we come out and flop. The whole team looks unprepared and that is due to guys thinking they are the world champs.

This team no longer uses "one day at a time" motto. We switched to Kaep for tomorrow. You don't think the players see that? All this s**t Harbaugh has preached has gone out the window. "Go with the hot hand", sure.... We are getting our balls kicked in, and do we go with the hot hand, or do we stick with a guy we have to "dumb" down the offense for? Ego right there. Sure wouldn't want Alex to come in and prove coach wrong, it's not about the team anymore.

We dont use Gore anymore. Why not? Does Harbaugh have some point to prove? Is he really looking at team first or himself? Again this is all stuff i heard on the radio, and a lot of people agree. Harbaughs ego has cost us this season. I myself had expectations of Super Bowl 6 weeks ago. Now my expectations are a first or second round exit.

Disgraceful.

Because Carroll never compromised the integrity of the game in order to win. Never.....
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Disgraceful.

Because Carroll never compromised the integrity of the game in order to win. Never.....

oh no definitely.
Share 49ersWebzone