There are 260 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Jcool:
SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter

The votes are in, and 30 NFL insiders have Bill Belichick as the league's top-rated coach.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11408205/ranking-32-nfl-head-coaches-tiers?ex_cid=sportscenterTW

Looks more like a Power Ranking than anything else. Just like Power Rankings, they are subject to change drastically week-to-week. People just jumping on the bandwagons

Carroll #2? Pleeeeassse. Nobody had him top 10 a year ago. 2 years ago he wasn't even top 15. All of a sudden he drastically improves as a coach in his 30th some odd year in football? Not likely. Dude just took advantage of some exploits. Won't happen this year.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 26, 2014 at 7:11 PM ]
You guys are really underrating Pete Carroll. He revolutionized the game by utilizing yoga and 6'2'' CBs that mug receivers. What's Jim done?
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
You guys are really underrating Pete Carroll. He revolutionized the game by utilizing yoga and 6'2'' CBs that mug receivers. What's Jim done?

lol true. More like de-evolution of the game.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/9017/49ers-harbaugh-ranked-no-9-coach-in-nfl

As Sando observed, �€Å"No NFL coach has more total victories than (Jim) Harbaugh since his arrival with the 49ers in 2011. He and Belichick are each 41-14 over that span, with no other team posting more than 37 victories.

On mike and mike they made a great point.. How is Jim not top 5? The NINERS were awful before harbaugh. 3 NFC championship appearances and made the Super Bowl once. Making Alex who he was because he was a bust before Jim. Helping Colin who wasn't a household name and making him into a 100 million qb.

Starting in 2003. 7-9,2-14,4-12,7-9,5-11,7-9, 8-8,6-10 then harbs got here. 13-3,11-4-1,12-4...
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Aug 27, 2014 at 8:33 AM ]
Andy Reid, #4 and Jim Harbaugh #8.... enough said.
  • dj43
I will likely get flamed for this, but I don't have a big problem with these rankings. Yes, I think Carroll is about 3 spots higher than I would put him but he has a ring. Carroll's offensive staff is arguably better than Harbaugh. Other than that, I think the top 5 is just fine.

I would put John ahead of Jim for two reasons: ring and game management including sideline demeanor.

Jim has received praise for turning this franchise around, and that is fine, however, he inherited a loaded roster that was ready to win. He can thank the terrible Nolan/Singletary years for bringing high draft picks to the team. Also, Alex Smith had already "turned the corner" before Harbaugh arrived if one looks at Smith's numbers after Singletary fired Jimmy Raye. Give Harbaugh credit for recognizing Smith was the best available alternative but as to resurrecting his career, that is an over-statement.

Harbaugh's continuing with Greg Roman as OC after three years of the same kind of play calling problems is a major issue, IMO. In fact, there has been a pretty good discussion of this in the Mike Iupati thread. Harbaugh is the head of the snake. Roman is the cause but Harbaugh is the one that approves it.

Somewhere back in the NT archives is a post I put up last year in which I ranked Jim #8. I was flamed then and will be again but that is my opinion. Go back and read what some of the more insightful 'zoners have said on the subject and you will see I am not the only one that does not perform their morning devotionals at the throne of Harbaugh. He is a good, not great coach.

Let the fires begin...
Originally posted by dj43:
I will likely get flamed for this, but I don't have a big problem with these rankings. Yes, I think Carroll is about 3 spots higher than I would put him but he has a ring. Carroll's offensive staff is arguably better than Harbaugh. Other than that, I think the top 5 is just fine.

I would put John ahead of Jim for two reasons: ring and game management including sideline demeanor.

Jim has received praise for turning this franchise around, and that is fine, however, he inherited a loaded roster that was ready to win. He can thank the terrible Nolan/Singletary years for bringing high draft picks to the team. Also, Alex Smith had already "turned the corner" before Harbaugh arrived if one looks at Smith's numbers after Singletary fired Jimmy Raye. Give Harbaugh credit for recognizing Smith was the best available alternative but as to resurrecting his career, that is an over-statement.

Harbaugh's continuing with Greg Roman as OC after three years of the same kind of play calling problems is a major issue, IMO. In fact, there has been a pretty good discussion of this in the Mike Iupati thread. Harbaugh is the head of the snake. Roman is the cause but Harbaugh is the one that approves it.

Somewhere back in the NT archives is a post I put up last year in which I ranked Jim #8. I was flamed then and will be again but that is my opinion. Go back and read what some of the more insightful 'zoners have said on the subject and you will see I am not the only one that does not perform their morning devotionals at the throne of Harbaugh. He is a good, not great coach.

Let the fires begin...

I'll give that to you if we would have won the Super Bowl. Similar to Gruden taking over Dungy. In my opinion we weren't as loaded as we thought we were.. I think HArbaugh should be ranked higher because his specialty is getting the most out of his players or making the best out of that situation. I also disagree with Alex... I do think he resurrected Alex career because Alex was a bust??? Why? He the number 1 pick. I don't agree with some of the criticism that comes along with that #1 pick.. But it is what it is. It's a business. He was picked #1 with high expectations and he didn't perform and money was lost etc... I love Alex but he is a flop. It's not his fault he was picked #1 but it comes with the territory.. It also helped that Jim was a QB himself. Alex got another chance and I think Harbaugh helped him reach his ceiling.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Aug 27, 2014 at 9:31 AM ]
RIP dj43

Not to mention ppl generally don't like Harbaugh. Everybody I know here in DC that isn't a Niner fans thinks he's a whiny crybaby. Always looking for calls and reacting like a 3yr old when he doesn't get his way.

"performing morning devotionals at the throne..." I'd call that classic catty hyperbole.

You've got subjective opinions based on who knows what and you've got results. The results are that he's the only NFL head coach in league history to take his team to the conference championship game in his first three straight seasons. It's just my opinion, but I think results bring more weight than subjective opinions.

And frankly, I don't know how anyone could make an argument that Andy Reid deserves to be four places ahead of Jim Harbaugh. To me that just shows the popularity contest aspect of this entire exercise.
  • dj43
Originally posted by crake49:

"performing morning devotionals at the throne..." I'd call that classic catty hyperbole.

You've got subjective opinions based on who knows what and you've got results. The results are that he's the only NFL head coach in league history to take his team to the conference championship game in his first three straight seasons. It's just my opinion, but I think results bring more weight than subjective opinions.

And frankly, I don't know how anyone could make an argument that Andy Reid deserves to be four places ahead of Jim Harbaugh. To me that just shows the popularity contest aspect of this entire exercise.

Well, I'll fess up to the catty criticism. Coffee was working hard this morning. Sorry.

I made my overall case above and I'll stand on that. Jim Harbaugh is a very good coach. Not as good as his brother but a good one nonetheless.

As to popularity, I won't quibble about how far Reid may be over Harbaugh. I believe Reid has shown his credentials over a much longer period of time and deserves to be ranked above Jim. Also, on the popularity issue, in the ESPN poll last season of 320 players anonymously picked the coach they would most like to play for. Jim Harbaugh finished 8th in that poll. Coincidence for sure but the two match.
I guess I'm just still amazed that after going through the post-Mariucci years, Niner fans would actually figure out something to complain about with respect to Jim Harbaugh. Any head coach of this franchise will always be compared to Bill Walsh so it will always be tough, but all I know is Harbaugh took basically the same team that went 6-10 the year before and got them to the NFCC game and he did it with almost no preseason. Then, when he wasn't sneaking up on anyone, he took the same team again and got them to the Super Bowl followed by another NFCC game the next year.

I honestly don't know why Andy Reid or some of the others would be ahead of him on the list, but that's just my opinion. I liked both Seifert and the Mooch a lot, but I think Harbaugh is the best Niner HC since Walsh.

Let the fires begin...

I find this hilarious, for several reasons.

When Harbaugh arrived here in '11, expectations were not high for that season among writers and analysts. Suddenly he turns it around with Alex Smith (who nobody wanted back), and now all of a sudden Jim inherited a "loaded roster".

Jim is a GREAT coach. Making players better, that's what he does. from UCSD to Stanford to the 49ers.

The team he inherited had elite players like WIllis & Gore, but it was not a "loaded roster". A loaded roster is what we have now.
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Aug 27, 2014 at 2:46 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I find this hilarious, for several reasons.

When Harbaugh arrived here in '11, expectations were not high for that season among writers and analysts. Suddenly he turns it around with Alex Smith (who nobody wanted back), and now all of a sudden Jim inherited a "loaded roster".

Jim is a GREAT coach. Making players better, that's what he does. from UCSD to Stanford to the 49ers.

The team he inherited had elite players like WIllis & Gore, but it was not a "loaded roster". A loaded roster is what we have now.

Right. You would think a "loaded roster" could have at least put together one winning season before Harbaugh got here.
Share 49ersWebzone