There are 273 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by 1981_Champions:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Honest is fine. Batsh*t nuts is another thing altogether.

Do you remember Jim in the NFL? Did you follow Harbaugh coaching in college? Or you aware of his upbringing? Do you read his quotes in the media?

You think Jim is gonna stick around for 8+ years? His longest coaching tenures are 7 years @ Western Kentucky (unpaid Assistant) and 3 years @ Stanford. His longest playing tenures were 6 years with the Bears and 3 years with the Colts.

That's just not the individual he is. He comes in guns blazing and sooner than later wears out his welcome.

so he should have stayed with Western Kentucky as an unpaid assistant? or accept a paying job as a qb coach with raiders, which eventually led to a HC job at SDSU, then Stanford, then SF.

Why would he have stuck around if he could advance.

also his dad left WK, which Im sure prompted Jim to leave from there as well.

His playing tenure has nothing to do with him. Its a business, teams find new players, others move on.

lol exactly. Every job he had before this was leading UP to an NFL job. That was the ultimate goal. Taking the promotion isnt called "not sticking around with a job long", its called moving up in the industry. Theres no better job than he has now.
Someone needs to work their gif magic and put all Cleveland references in this gif:

Originally posted by 1981_Champions:
Do you remember Jim in the NFL? Did you follow Harbaugh coaching in college? Or you aware of his upbringing? Do you read his quotes in the media?

You think Jim is gonna stick around for 8+ years? His longest coaching tenures are 7 years @ Western Kentucky (unpaid Assistant) and 3 years @ Stanford. His longest playing tenures were 6 years with the Bears and 3 years with the Colts.

That's just not the individual he is. He comes in guns blazing and sooner than later wears out his welcome.

Each one of Harbaugh's coaching moves to date was a step up on the coaching ladder and has zero to do with being combustible or a flame out or whatever.

After WKU . . . which really doesn't count as most of that was concurrent with his playing career, his coaching career went as follows:

2002-2003: (2 yrs) QB Coach Oakland Raiders
2004-2006: (3 yrs) Head Coach University of San Diego (D1-AA)
2007-2010: (4 yrs) Head Coach Stanford (D1-A)

Pretty steady growth . . .
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Someone needs to work their gif magic and put all Cleveland references in this gif:

lmao
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Now the browns owner basically confirmed florios report. Trouble in paradise folks.

If Jed has to choose between Trent and Jim then Trent better start packing his bags.
[ Edited by susweel on Feb 23, 2014 at 3:30 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Now the browns owner basically confirmed florios report. Trouble in paradise folks.

If Jed has to choose between Trent and Jim then Trent better start packing his bags.

All he said was there was an "opportunity".

#1) The fact that he even answered the question tells me he's a joke of an owner.

#2) He later fired the two guys who tried to make the trade. My guess is they told him they had a better chance than they ever really did

Here's the thing I just can't get around. If the Niners didn't want him, he'd be gone. The fact that Lombardi and Banner were fired should tell you volumes about this situation.

#1) The fact that he even answered the question tells me he's a joke of an owner.

#2) He later fired the two guys who tried to make the trade. My guess is they told him they had a better chance than they ever really did

Here's the thing I just can't get around. If the Niners didn't want him, he'd be gone. The fact that Lombardi and Banner were fired should tell you volumes about this situation.

This.

Just read Florio's article. The guy comes off as a total douche trying to paint this as a slam dunk vindication of his original article. This changes nothing. If anything it shows the 49ers to be a team that is fully above board. The Browns inquired about a trade (the 49ers didn't inquire about it) and the 49ers asked Jim if that was something he wanted. He said no, and that is where it died.

Florio continues to paint this as some internal struggle that is going on between Baalke and Harbaugh.

Not really, its just Florio being a douchebag once more.

The is all the Cleveland owner said.

"There was an opportunity there, and it didn't materialize," Haslam told USA TODAY Sports."

Whatever that means. That said, how much a burning dumpster fire are the Browns to even continue to discuss this issue? How eager are teams going to be to deal with them in the future?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 23, 2014 at 3:39 PM ]

He said "there was an opportunity" but didn't elaborate. Still doesn't mean anything beyond "we asked and the 49ers brass and/or Harbaugh said no." Call me slow, but I don't get how another team inquiring about another coach or player equals OMG MAJOR RIFT IN THE FRONT OFFICE!!!

Were he really able to, Florio could've blown this thing wide open by stating the exact parameters of this deal and who the players were. Instead, all we get is him telling everyone else (including far more credible writers) that their sources are wrong, and his are right.

Because he's never been wrong before. /sarcasm

This is same guy that said Harbaugh to the Dolphins is a done deal (didn't happen), that Terry Bradshaw died in a car accident (not even close), and the 49ers would regret not signing his buddy (and let's face it, the true source of all this nonsense) Michael Lombardi.

Who just got fired, in case you forgot.

All that to say, way more is being made out of this than necessary.
[ Edited by baltien on Feb 23, 2014 at 3:44 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SportsFan:

This.

Just read Florio's article. The guy comes off as a total douche trying to paint this as a slam dunk vindication of his original article. This changes nothing. If anything it shows the 49ers to be a team that is fully above board. The Browns inquired about a trade (the 49ers didn't inquire about it) and the 49ers asked Jim if that was something he wanted. He said no, and that is where it died.

Florio continues to paint this as some internal struggle that is going on between Baalke and Harbaugh.

All the coaching changes and front office positions have been filled. The Michael Sam story will come back during draft time and preseason.

Tabloid journalists like Mike Florio need to fill their sites with these exaggerated stories to gain hits for NBC.

Originally posted by GEEK:
All the coaching changes and front office positions have been filled. The Michael Sam story will come back during draft time and preseason.

Tabloid journalists like Mike Florio need to fill their sites with these exaggerated stories to gain hits for NBC.

Exactly. Kap and Harbaugh will have extensions before opening day.

Book it.
Florio is just trying to find any nugget to back up what he thought was going to be a bombshell of a story. He's citing people using phrases like "there was substance to the report" and there was "an opportunity". I think this is how is went down:

Cleveland (dials 49ers HQ)
Baalke: Hello, this is Trent.
Cleveland: Hi Trent, we'd like to see if your interested in trading Jim Harbaugh to us.
Baalke: Really? Well, let me ask, what would you be willing to give?
Cleveland: Well, do you think it's possible?
Baalke: Hold on. (Muffled) Hey Jim! Cleveland is trying to trade for you. Any interest in moving to Cleveland?
Harbaugh: Um, no.
Baalke: Yeah, guys, Jim says no. Thanks for the call though.
Cleveland: But, wait, what if...
Baalke: (click)

As much as Florio would like to say it almost happened and a deal was in place, I think this is closer to the reality of what happened.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Do you guys think the browns called the pats, seahawks or any other team with a top coach ? They called us because they must know in league circles that Trent and Jim won't last long together. ..

It sucks but that does appear to be the situation.
Harbaugh wants more say over personnel descisions which I personally feel he should have a say too in who's drafted and signed.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Not really, its just Florio being a douchebag once more.

The is all the Cleveland owner said.

"There was an opportunity there, and it didn't materialize," Haslam told USA TODAY Sports."

Whatever that means. That said, how much a burning dumpster fire are the Browns to even continue to discuss this issue? How eager are teams going to be to deal with them in the future?

LOL Haslam literally said that?

"There was an opportunity there(We asked Baalke if he'd trade Harbaugh), and it didn't materialize(they told us to go f**k off)"

OR

"There was an opportunity there(Baalke said he'd trade Harbaugh for a zillion picks and Gordon and Haden), and it didn't materialize(Harbaugh said f**k off because he'd have no talent or picks)"

Why is this so hard for people to understand!?!??!

Did the Browns call us about Fangio, Roman, Tomsula, and even Harbaugh? Hell yes, it's the Browns. They want to prove they tried everything. Mike Pettine even word for word validated that sentiment and said it was positive for them to go after Harbaugh because it shows they are trying to turn things around. Then proceeded to say he doesn't give a rats a** about it though because it happened before they hired him.

Either way, the man who has to live with it the most is Browns coach Mike Pettine. And when he heard Friday, Pettine was not pleased.

"I got a phone call that the report was about to come out, and I shot the messenger a little bit," Pettine said Saturday. "My first question was, 'How does that affect my tenure as the head coach?' I either used the world 'flying' followed by something or I referenced a part of a rat's body.

"I think that's noise. It has no bearing on my job moving forward. That's a critical thing. A big part of beinh an NFL head coach involves dealing with noise and distractions. Add that to the list."

In fact, Pettine doesn't see the Browns' reported attempt to procure Harbaugh as a negative. He sees it as a good thing.

"When you look at it, the organization is committed to getting it turned around, that they would explore that option," Pettine said. "I see that as a positive."

What wasn't a positive -- at least, not when the news broke -- was owner Jimmy Haslam's decision to fire CEO Joe Banner and general manager Mike Lombardi after just 16 games into their tenures. But Pettine also can see the positive in that move.

"It was a surprise; it was a little bittersweet," Pettine said. "I wouldn't be standing here if it wasn't for Mike and Joe. The reaction from me was that it was also a clear message from Jimmy that he recognized there were some issues and some obstacles to being successful. He wanted to clear things up."

smh at people still freaking out over this.

Harbaugh and Baalke are alpha-alpha personalities. They will clash heads until they win a SB, they will clash heads until they win more, they will clash heads until one of them gets fired or dies.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 23, 2014 at 3:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone