LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 161 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
I can't believe this is being taken seriously... trading a head coach? That sounds like a MLB trade... not an NFL trade. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before?? All I can say is that ... this is what happens when a troll has his own website and people think it is legitimate because NBC bought it.

It's happened before

When? Pre-1960s?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Look at what this has done since it came out. Yes he would be worried about fan backlash. Also any potential rift between Harbs and Trent which has been discussed before. It's called damage control and cleaning up a potential PR nightmare. If there is no way to fully prove it, you just deny deny deny!

Again I'm not saying it's all true but I think part of it is, which Jed said there was no truth.

You have absolutely zero proof to support your assumptions, that is just the reality of the situation. What York is saying could be 100% truthful, you don't know that whatsoever. I have no reason to doubt that he's being 100% truthful at this point. Put some names with these "unnamed sources" and then we can talk.

Where is your proof? If Mort has the confidence to report there is some truth I'm more inclined to flirt with the idea. Knowing how hard Florio got slammed I can't see any reporter backing his claims without something legitimate or a very solid source. If that source is still employed by Cle, acknowledging the story and coming out could mean their job...wouldn't be worth it to go public.
I am told the 49ers never discussed trade terms for coach Jim Harbaugh with Cleveland brass.

— Peter King (@SI_PeterKing) February 22, 2014
$20 says the source is Mangini.
I can't believe this is being taken seriously... trading a head coach? That sounds like a MLB trade... not an NFL trade. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before?? All I can say is that ... this is what happens when a troll has his own website and people think it is legitimate because NBC bought it.

It's happened before

When? Pre-1960s?

Do some research
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We should get this deal done whatever it takes. Harbaugh has brought you nothing but loss after loss after loss in the BIG GAMES. He's proven he can't win a BIG GAME. Usually those guys never do. Remember the Eagles, Bills and Vikings. BIG GAME LOSERS stay BIG GAME LOSERS. If we can get Josh Gordon plus a 1st round pick I would do it for sure. This is a good deal for us.

you cereal?

Yeah I would do it for that.

so a coach thats been to three straight nfccg in his first three years you would give up for two players

lol

Yes because he can't win the BIG GAME and likely never will IMO. Pete Carroll can win the BIG GAME college and pro. It's not too much for him. Winners win and BIG GAME CHOKERS CHOKE.
Where is your proof? If Mort has the confidence to report there is some truth I'm more inclined to flirt with the idea. Knowing how hard Florio got slammed I can't see any reporter backing his claims without something legitimate or a very solid source. If that source is still employed by Cle, acknowledging the story and coming out could mean their job...wouldn't be worth it to go public.

Don't need proof, you don't prove a negative. If York says that this didn't happen, by default this didn't happen until someone provides proof to the contrary, I haven't seen a damn thing? Have you? No.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I thought you couldn't trade coaches...?

Didn't the Gruden trade end that?

It's happened before

When? Pre-1960s?

Do some research

It happened once in recent memory (Gruden) but it wasn't done in secret and Gruden of course had to ok the deal. Doesn't prove anything regarding Cleveland and Harbaugh though.
They probably offered something to Baalke. To which then Baalke asked York and perhaps York asked Harbaugh, and one or more of them decided not to do it.

Remember, it only takes ONE of the three to decide not to do it. The 49ers are thorough. They leave, "No stone unturned". This was just another stone.
The Browns probably made it pretty enticing, they probably offered a lot, the 49ers listened to the offer, but nothing more.
So the idea that it "almost happened" or "nearly happened" are what make the report "untrue", and this is what York is commenting on.

"Do you want to listen to my trade proposal?"

"Sure, why not."

"I'll give you three 1st round draft picks for coach Harbaugh."

"Hmm, let me consider it for a minute..." "...OK, I considered it for a minute, but that's not something we want to do."

"OK, thanks for listening."

"Alright, thanks, bye."

The media spins it, "Harbaugh ALMOST NEARLY traded!!!" "Harbaugh comes within INCHES of being traded!!!" "The 49ers TRIED to trade their coach, nearly happened, but it didn't go through."

All spin.

Originally posted by okdkid:
I thought you couldn't trade coaches...?

Didn't the Gruden trade end that?

No it just made it much more complicated.
Schefter basically said that when he spoke to Browns officials, they didn't even know if a trade for Harbaugh could be worked out legally. It was something that was discussed internally within their organization, still no proof whatsoever that it got much further than the Browns possibly picking up the phone and saying "hey guys, want to trade us Harbaugh?" to which the 49ers replied "f**k no" and hung up.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 21, 2014 at 7:50 PM ]
Originally posted by baltien:
It happened once in recent memory (Gruden) but it wasn't done in secret and Gruden of course had to ok the deal. Doesn't prove anything regarding Cleveland and Harbaugh though.

Afterwards it was banned and now it can only be done with the explicit approval of Goodell.
He is our coach for two years!!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
He is our coach for two years!!

Share 49ersWebzone