LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
How instrumental he was in turning around Alex Smith is debatable. Not only is it arguable that he was being held back by the inferior coaching staff but he was clearly arrow up before Harbaugh.

He was far from arrow up before Harbaugh. I've got nothing against Alex, but he was 3-7 in 2010 and fighting with Troy Smith for playing time.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
How instrumental he was in turning around Alex Smith is debatable. Not only is it arguable that he was being held back by the inferior coaching staff but he was clearly arrow up before Harbaugh.

He was far from arrow up before Harbaugh. I've got nothing against Alex, but he was 3-7 in 2010 and fighting with Troy Smith for playing time.

Do we need to go into the statistics about Alex Smith again? Quit bagging on Alex. He's long gone, just admit that he closed out 2010 with a very strong 7 game stretch of 11 TDs, 3 INTs, 1450 yards, and a passer rating of 94.75.

If you think that level of play did not influence Harbaugh's decision to keep Alex at all? Then you are being plain stubborn and foolish.

Harbaugh pulled Alex up just "that much more" but Alex in 2010 was the same Alex we saw in KC this season and the same Alex we saw in 2011 and 2012. Some fantastic games here and there, with some pretty bad ones thrown in. But since 2010 Alex has been consistent, no matter the coach.
  • pfizz
Anyone else worried we haven't heard anything about an extension? maybe I'm just paranoid or being impatient but after I saw Ron rivera get his extensions it made me antsy.
[ Edited by pfizz on Feb 11, 2014 at 11:25 PM ]
Originally posted by pfizz:
Anyone else worried we haven't heard anything about an extension? maybe I'm just paranoid or being impatient but after I saw Ron rivera get his extensions it made me antsy.
I'm sure we're talking to him about it. Plenty of time
I think it's worth noting that Jim Harbaugh currently has the highest winning percentage of all NFL Head Coaches at .760. Belechick is second at .728.

Pete Carroll has the 13th best winning percentage at .594
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by dj43:
That is mine as well.

The greatest measure of a coach is how well they can teach the game to young players. Any half way decent coach can take a loaded roster and win more than they lose. A truly awesome coach will turn those green rookies into quality players. Harbaugh has yet to show that ability in the pros. Nowhere has that been more evident than with WRs and the slow development of the passing skills of Kaepernick.

Turned Alex around

Naw. His career was a disaster before JH arrived and was on his way out.

JH was the new kid in town and he took a huge risk bringing him back. That could of derailed his career before it even started.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by dj43:
That is mine as well.

The greatest measure of a coach is how well they can teach the game to young players. Any half way decent coach can take a loaded roster and win more than they lose. A truly awesome coach will turn those green rookies into quality players. Harbaugh has yet to show that ability in the pros. Nowhere has that been more evident than with WRs and the slow development of the passing skills of Kaepernick.

Turned Alex around

Naw. His career was a disaster before JH arrived and was on his way out.

JH was the new kid in town and he took a huge risk bringing him back. That could of derailed his career before it even started.

Jim Harbaugh is the ONLY reason Alex has had any success in the NFL to begin with (Alex even admits that his time with Harbaugh made him a better QB to where he is in KC as of now), this is becoming a moot point. Before Harbaugh joined the 49ers, Alex Smith's mechanics were f**king garbage, and they didn't really change, they were just 'worked around' in a system fit to Alex's fears of throwing the ball over 25+ yards in a game.

Seriously, you go back and you look at every Associated Press member that voted Harbaugh Coach of the Year (in 2011), the first paragraph included, "if this guy was able to coach Alex Smith into an NFC Championship game...". It is what it is.
WHOS....GOT IT BETTER THEN US
NO............ BODY.
Originally posted by Constantine:
WHOS....GOT IT BETTER THEN US
NO............ BODY.

Even if then
Originally posted by crake49:
I think it's worth noting that Jim Harbaugh currently has the highest winning percentage of all NFL Head Coaches at .760. Belechick is second at .728.

Pete Carroll has the 13th best winning percentage at .594

That'll help his negotiations. But Pete has what harbaugh wants and that's a Lombardi trophy.

Curious to why we haven't extended him already. If Harbaugh and the niners are about quieting the 'outside noise and preventing distractions to the TEAM TEAM TEAM' then extending him would do exactly that. I hope that made sense lol
[ Edited by Mertonschickendance on Feb 20, 2014 at 12:12 PM ]
Pete did was Harbaugh failed to do...and that's have his team READY TO PLAY to start the superbowl

harbaugh had the team ill prepared, they looked flat and mistake prone and blew a superbowl against an inferior opponent

pete had his team amped and ready to dominate

jim continues to walk on water somehow but he's failed to win 1 sb w/ great teams 3yrs in a row

i still don't know how they came out so flat against the ravens...9 of 10 times they should dominate that ravens team, it was a complete mis-match
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Pete did was Harbaugh failed to do...and that's have his team READY TO PLAY to start the superbowl

harbaugh had the team ill prepared, they looked flat and mistake prone and blew a superbowl against an inferior opponent

jim continues to walk on water somehow but he's failed to win 1 sb w/ great teams 3yrs in a row

i still don't know how they came out so flat against the ravens...9 of 10 times they should dominate that ravens team, it was a complete mis-match

joe flacco was on a great streak, he had 8 tds 0 picks in 3 playoff games before AND our secondary had been yielding a lot of passing yards and big plays down the stretch. additionally the ravens were on fire as a redzone D in the playoffs and thats exactly what we struggled with in that super bowl.
How would you guys react if somebody hit Harbaugh with a car and Roman had to take over as HC
Originally posted by iLL49er:

Yes, they started flat on offense. But remember, if Crabtree isn't lined up incorrectly on that first play, they start off with a 20 yard first down pass play. And I still say that overall, the offense did more than enough to win the game. Only two teams that scored 31 or more points in the entire history of the game have failed to win. The Ravens just caught a good defense during a down streak due to injuries and fatigue. If that Ravens team is playing the 2013 defense, the score is probably 31 to 13.
Share 49ersWebzone