There are 172 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Trotter has a story that Jim turned down an extension this past offseason.

He should have. He didn't win the chip so he can't demand the highest compensation. If he wins it all this year then would be the time to cash in. As for Jim leaving and us letting him do so: it would be foolish. We are going to pay what it takes so he stays on unless otherwise noted. This is the highest level of football and the Bay Area is a destination. There would have to be bad blood for him to leave

I'd say if he can make the NFCCG 3x in a row that would warrant a max coaching deal.
I would hate him forever if he left!

But he won't. These are rumors meant to sell stories.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Harbaugh still has 2 more years + this one on his current deal. It feels like he's been here forever, but he's basically only halfway through his contract. All of this is a complete non-story.
[ Edited by Disp on Dec 12, 2013 at 1:17 PM ]
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
University of Texas is attempting to hire Jim Harbaugh

lol

Thankfully Harbs shut it down:

CBSSports.com ‏@CBSSports 24m
Jim Harbaugh on Texas coaching rumors: 'Are you trying to be funny?' - http://cbsprt.co/HarbaughTexas (via @EyeOnNFL)

That was in response to Matt Barrows asking "when do you leave for Austin, Texas?"

All the chatter here in Austin last day or two is about how insanely much money UT is willing to throw at Harbaugh. $12-$15 million a year, plus a cut of the Longhorn network.

I don't blame Coach for not signing an extension right now and keeping his options open. A lot can happen between now and February. And UT will gladly match and exceed any offer the NFL makes. That's ludicrous money to say no to.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by NineCoronas:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Originally posted by kray28:
I wrote it because the 49ers were woefully unprepared to play a clearly inferior Ravens team. It was 28-6 before the lights went out and the Ravens lost their momentum. Harbaugh had that deer in the headlights look as his brother ground his team up. And then that panic-stricken series down at the 5 yard line at the end. That was a shameful performance by the coaching staff as well as the beginning of the end for Kapernick's aura of invincibility. John showed Jim what coaching at the professional level was all about.

You probably not all wrong....but you need to get over it and move on.

I'm trying to but Harbaugh and Kaepernick took something from us that we can never get back; our aura of invincibility in the Super Bowl. And the game was right there for the taking, right there!

You probably miss Erickson, Nolan & Singletary. During those bleak years, I missed Mooch. Now I can't even remember how to spell his name. Harbaugh is king here. He brought back the dynasty. Get off his back.

No, but I sure miss Walsh

Dude, it's over. Stop living in the past. Joe and Steve are not walking through that door anytime soon.

If you want to get rid of Harbaugh, you need to suggest someone better. And I doubt you'll have any success on that front.

No, Harbaugh is doing well. If he does leave though, I'd like to see someone come in who is more offensive-munded. whomever comes in willhave a nice group of players to work with.

who do you have in mind as a better replacement?

I don't know. But if Harbaugh decides to go, I'm sure they'll find someone.
Originally posted by cciowa:
its all about opportunities,, maybe this is exactly what greg roman needs. JH goes and the logical fit would be roman. a head coaching gig with us would be exactly what the doctor ordered in regards to coach roman maybe and since he already has his system in place here, it would be a very smooth transition in my opinion

With all due respect, please tell me you are joking? IMHO, the Niners have been deeply hurt by Roman's play calling and he'd be one of the last people I want as head coach if Harbaugh were to leave. The 49ers have been able to survive the "the Roman Era" because we have a quality RB in Frank Gore. But Frank is at the tail end of his career. What happens if Lattimore doesn't pan out? Conversely we have a QB with a rocket arm coupled with the probability that we'll no doubt invest heavily in WRs in 2014 draft. With Roman around, I get nervous that all of our new "toys" get locked in the closet because Roman doesn't know how to properly utilize complicated receiver sets.

Make no mistake, this team has been successful because of our defense.

To go a step furter, I want Roman out at the end of THIS year but if Harbaugh threatens to leave if Jed/Baalke demand that Roman gets the axe then we have a real problem. I posted this earlier and one of the posters said, "they won't make that demand." Well I guess not, if it means we lose Harbaugh. Let's face it, Roman and Harbaugh are connected at the hip. Either you get both or none.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Dec 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM ]
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
University of Texas is attempting to hire Jim Harbaugh

lol

Thankfully Harbs shut it down:

CBSSports.com ‏@CBSSports 24m
Jim Harbaugh on Texas coaching rumors: 'Are you trying to be funny?' - http://cbsprt.co/HarbaughTexas (via @EyeOnNFL)

That was in response to Matt Barrows asking "when do you leave for Austin, Texas?"

All the chatter here in Austin last day or two is about how insanely much money UT is willing to throw at Harbaugh. $12-$15 million a year, plus a cut of the Longhorn network.

I don't blame Coach for not signing an extension right now and keeping his options open. A lot can happen between now and February. And UT will gladly match and exceed any offer the NFL makes. That's ludicrous money to say no to.

Mack Brown is definitely stepping down, haven't heard Harbaugh's name in the mix though. I've just been hearing about Saban.

Harbaugh needs to stay with the 49ers.
Harbaugh is under contract for another 2 years and Texas needs a coach soon, so would Harbaugh actually break his contract to leave? I'm just speculating here...
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Jim Trotter ‏@SI_JimTrotter For the record, I don't believe Jim Harbaugh is going anywhere. But I also don't believe he's a long-timer with the 49ers.

lol media trying reeeeeaaaaalll hard to make this an actual story

they'd love nothing more than for the Niners to go back to mediocre coaches and fade back into backwoods west coast obscurity while their obnoxious a*****e douchebag darlings the seaf*gs cash cheap division title after cheap division due to their fakeass bandbox stadium, just to assure there's always playoff fodder to pummel come January for the REAL favored sons, the media's beloved NFCE tetrumvirate to always be able to punch a ticket to at least the NFCCG, if not the Super Bowl...

...but Jed must NOT let that happen.

Fixed
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
He should have. He didn't win the chip so he can't demand the highest compensation. If he wins it all this year then would be the time to cash in. As for Jim leaving and us letting him do so: it would be foolish. We are going to pay what it takes so he stays on unless otherwise noted. This is the highest level of football and the Bay Area is a destination. There would have to be bad blood for him to leave

Agree with all of this.

One thing to keep in mind (and I doubt it is the case here) is that Eddie D did wear Walsh out. Eddie loved Walsh, but also had very high expectations for him and the 49ers performance.

When you think back to all of the elite head coaches in NFL history, Walsh is probably the shortest tenured guy at ten seasons.

Even Seifert says he feels "management hasn't completely forgiven him for the '90 NFC Championship loss". This after two super bowl trophies.

I feel Jed is different from his uncle in this regard but they are alike in many other ways.

Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Harbaugh is under contract for another 2 years and Texas needs a coach soon, so would Harbaugh actually break his contract to leave? I'm just speculating here...

Harbaugh isn't leaving but how would that even work. I mean, Brown is out by tomorrow. Texas is going to want a coach soon. They aren't going to wait around for 2 months until the season is over. If Harbaugh committed to them while the season was ongoing I would be furious. It would basically squash any playoff hopes we have.

Texas would have to buy the contract out, like 'Bama did with Saban if I'm not mistaken.
Texas needs to f**k off
Originally posted by zillabeast:

Texas would have to buy the contract out, like 'Bama did with Saban if I'm not mistaken.

The difference is Saban wasn't performing and the Alabama gig probably wouldn't have stayed open if he continued to struggle.

Harbaugh has done a great job. There wouldn't be a reason to 'move backward' to college.
Jim isn't going anywhere, he's way too competitive. He would look dumb to go back to coaching college while Pete Carroll competes for SBs. All the seahawks fans would laugh and call him a coward for quitting the rivalry.
Share 49ersWebzone