LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Raul98:
It's really frustrating cause a good coaching staff takes what they got and gets the most out of them i'm not seeing it here. They have a tall QB with a cannon arm and can run like a RB. They have Boldin who sometimes is unarguable. They have Davis one of the fastest and best TE's in the league. They have Mcdonald who has the size to be a amazing TE as well. They have Baldwin a 1st round pick who has size and speed. They have Manningham back now even though he may ne rusty. They have Williams who sucks as wide out but can be shifty and super fast in the slot (if he doesn't fumble) These are all more than enough things to have our passing to at least the middle of the NFL but were dead last. It's frustrating to see such a good team being wasted like this.
if all your bullet points are right and i think they probably are,,,,, then the answer goes right back to roman ,,,, who gets support from JH.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Black24Razor:
Really wish they had traded for Josh Gordon...I think the passing game was more effective with Rattay/Pickett/Weinke/Troy Smith/Jimmy Raye/Jim Hostler....

you of course are assuming the coaches and roman would have known what to do with gordon. i disagree with your last sentence but I also understand why you are saying that today in the aftermath of yesterdays fiasco
Originally posted by cciowa:
if all your bullet points are right and i think they probably are,,,,, then the answer goes right back to roman ,,,, who gets support from JH.

Before the problem was Alex Smith, now its Colin Kaepernick, put another QB in there and it will be his problem.....its like people aren't putting 2 and 2 together. The common denominator for this offense's struggles has always been the playcalling. Why is it that Alex was tremendous in the red-zone, one of the very best in the NFL, yet Roman shows up and now this team struggles immensely in the redzone. Back when they were chitty, they were still able to capitalize in the redzone but all of a sudden all they could do was kick field goals. It amazes me that people never put that together and wonder why that it is and why this team continues to struggle in the redzone, regardless of who is playing QB.

Sad that a group of NFL coaches on one of the best teams in the NFL loaded with talent are to bad at there job to figure out how to effectively use there talent. I'm starting to think it doesn't matter who they bring in now at WR the results would be the same dead last in the league in passing.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Before the problem was Alex Smith, now its Colin Kaepernick, put another QB in there and it will be his problem.....its like people aren't putting 2 and 2 together. The common denominator for this offense's struggles has always been the playcalling. Why is it that Alex was tremendous in the red-zone, one of the very best in the NFL, yet Roman shows up and now this team struggles immensely in the redzone. Back when they were chitty, they were still able to capitalize in the redzone but all of a sudden all they could do was kick field goals. It amazes me that people never put that together and wonder why that it is and why this team continues to struggle in the redzone, regardless of who is playing QB.
phoenix said nothing wrong,, what else answer can there be
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
No thanks. I would prefer that the guy calling the plays actually has experience doing that job. Harbs has shown to be a good headcoach, he has never shown to be an offensive coordinator.

Roman is just calling the game according to Harbaugh's wishes and reflecting their lack of confidence in Kap. Who can blame them?? He has rarely executed a gameplan this season. So many draws and screen passes on 3rd down because Kap is more likely to turn the ball over than convert a 1st down. There is no way around it, Kap is playing awful this year. I still think he can be elite in the future because he has the physical skills to do it and as a fan I'm hoping that the mental part of the game will catch up to him and surpass his physical abilities... just like it did with Steve Young. Last year it seemed like he would reach that point by 2014... now it is looking like that might not happen until 2016 if it happens at all.

Kap is reminding me of the 2005-2007 Smith, Alex didn't even start playing good football until 2009 but it didn't really matter because he doesn't have the physical ability... plus his version of good football is just don't force bad passes, dump off often, and rely on your teammates.

Coaching isn't the problem... Kap's play is the problem. He is struggling and the offense, the 32nd ranked passing offense, reflects how poorly our QB is playing. I'd only argue that maybe Roman and Harbaugh have to face reality and start making things ridiculously simple for Kap... go Alex Smith on his butt and start calling short safe throws instead of these long passes. They seem to be in denial of how piss poor he is playing.

I'm not sure you're watching the same games I am. The plays they are calling are putting the offense in terrible spots and when it doesn't work we're staring at 3rd and long with a boat load of pressure coming right up the gut. Kap deserves a lot of the blame, but Greg Roman is calling plays that expose his weaknesses rather than his strengths.

Two things come to mind in that game yesterday. First, the series when the offense was backed up against the one. The entire design was bad and we were lucky it didn't lead to a safety.

In the third quarter the offense got a nine yard gain on first down, so what do we do next? Read option against a fully loaded box that had been crushing the O line all game. Loss of six yards. Then Anthony Davis jumps. Loss of five yards. Now it's 3rd and 12.

When the running game is working and you need the one yard, Roman likes to get cute and it almost always digs the offense in a hole.

Like I said, Kap was bad. He needs to learn to throw the ball away. He probably could've avoided two or three of those sacks by getting rid of it. I don't know that it would've helped sustain drives because so much more was going Carolina's way, but they wouldn't be looking at such long conversions.

From my perspective the blame starts with coaching. Then it goes to the quarterback. Then it goes to the players around him. There were plenty of times when Kap stepped up to make a play and somebody else let him down. Hunters fumble came when they started moving in rhythm. Boldins OPI came when they converted the biggest pass play of the day. Vance McDonald dropped a ball that would've had them in range for the winning field goal at least.

It was bad all around.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by drakan:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
To be honest, I never really watched college football. Did Harbaugh call the offense plays there?

As I recall, his offenses had great rhythm with run-first based philosophies.

Roman called the plays.

No Shaw called the plays at Stanford. The only reason he isn't our OC now is they hired him to be Harbaugh's replacement.

Damn you, Stanford!!!
Remember last season when the Ravens offense sucked and there season looked over and they made a chance at OC and it turned there season around right into a SB win Niners might want to think about it.
  • TyCore
  • Veteran
How has our pass offense been since Roman took over?
Originally posted by Raul98:
Remember last season when the Ravens offense sucked and there season looked over and they made a chance at OC and it turned there season around right into a SB win Niners might want to think about it.

in anytime of turmoil fans always point to obscure things that have happened in order to provide some perspective. cam cameron becoming the ravens OC and them winning the sb is the new version of pointing out how some recent sb champs entered the playoffs as a wild card team. statistics indicate you wont win the sb after firing an OC and you have a hell of a lot harder time winning the sb as a wild card team needing multiple road playoff wins.

Originally posted by TyCore:

Well it was chitty to begin with, can't say it has improved all that much. I remember being so excited when Harbaugh was hired, and even more excited when there was talk of Marc Trestman coming in to be OC....and then I found out about Roman, thought "meh", but gave it a chance and 2 1/2 years later, its clear that the guy isn't very good whatsoever in calling a passing offense.
Originally posted by crabman82:
in anytime of turmoil fans always point to obscure things that have happened in order to provide some perspective. cam cameron becoming the ravens OC and them winning the sb is the new version of pointing out how some recent sb champs entered the playoffs as a wild card team. statistics indicate you wont win the sb after firing an OC and you have a hell of a lot harder time winning the sb as a wild card team needing multiple road playoff wins.

Yet the last 3 Superbowl winner's all made it in as wild-card teams.
Originally posted by crabman82:

Yet the last 3 Superbowl winner's all made it in as wild-card teams.

the giants won their division in 2011, as did the ravens in 2012.
[ Edited by crabman82 on Nov 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM ]
  • TyCore
  • Veteran

Well it was chitty to begin with, can't say it has improved all that much. I remember being so excited when Harbaugh was hired, and even more excited when there was talk of Marc Trestman coming in to be OC....and then I found out about Roman, thought "meh", but gave it a chance and 2 1/2 years later, its clear that the guy isn't very good whatsoever in calling a passing offense.

Courtesy of ESPN:

Passing yards per game

2013: 32/32 (so far)
2012: 23/32
2011: 29/32

just for comparison sake, 3 years before Roman:

2010: 18/32
2009: 22/32
2008: 13/32
Courtesy of ESPN:

Passing yards per game

2013: 32/32 (so far)
2012: 23/32
2011: 29/32

just for comparison sake, 3 years before Roman:

2010: 18/32
2009: 22/32
2008: 13/32

LOL, instantly knew that was the Mike Martz season.
Share 49ersWebzone