Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'm still jacked.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
All I know is I never want a defensive minded coach in Ninerland again!!!

From your mouth, to Jed Yorks ears, hopefully. Defensive HC has no place in SF. It goes against our DNA and who we are as an organization.

I hope poor George Seifert does not feel too bad after reading that, being a Defensive HC and all that…although his Super Bowl Rings he won with the Niners should alleviate the pain somewhat

To be serious, I understand where you guys want to go with this and I agree with the underlying premise: That a purely defensive HC with limited knowledge of offense is something Niner fans do not want to experience again.

But you guys need to remember that for all the offensive firepower the Glory Day Niners had, they also had great (if mostly overlooked) defenses as well. It is no coincidence that the Niners once send all their starting DBs to the Pro Bowl, had a few No.1 ranked defenses in the NFL as well and that the emotional heart and soul of those Niner teams actually was Ronnie Lott (as Joe Montana was more the cool, quiet type). Also, the Niners picked their defensive coordinator to succeed Bill Walsh, so defense was not entirely unimportant in Ninerland as well.

And a great offensive mind with a bad defense only gets you so far, look at all the recent Superbowl winners who got over the hump only after they paired great offenses with a good or equally great defenses (Saints, Packers). You need both to win the Lombardi Trophy.

That said, I am very happy with the new Harbaugh/Fangio offense/defense combination and I think they will do well.

But in the end (and what I ultimately wanted to say) the Niner DNA in my opinion is not necessarily having an offensive HC. I think the Niner DNA from Bill Walsh was being innovative and assembling and developing an excellent team, not only on the field (duh, you want to win games...), but also on the coaching staff side.

Think about it: Yes, Bill Walsh was innovative with the West Coast system and all the systemic changes he brought to the NFL. And he also found great players and developed them. But he also had a great coaching staff and his coaching tree is big and incredibly successful, with several NFL head coaches, some of them winning Super Bowls as well.

I am not saying Harbaugh can or should do all that, but he was very innovative in college, so lets see how that translates to the NFL. He also found and developed some nice talent especially at Stanford and he needs to do that again, especially at the QB position. And I think his initial coaching staff looks impressive, with a surprising amount of NFL experience for a former college coach, which should help a lot. But those guys around him are in my mind the true test of a head coach, regardless whether he is an offensive-minded or defensive-minded one.

If Harbaugh can accomplish that, he will be a HC with Niner DNA in my opinion and if he does that, he can and will be successful and would be even if he was a special-teams coach (like his brother ).
Originally posted by NoOffseason:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
All I know is I never want a defensive minded coach in Ninerland again!!!

From your mouth, to Jed Yorks ears, hopefully. Defensive HC has no place in SF. It goes against our DNA and who we are as an organization.

I hope poor George Seifert does not feel too bad after reading that, being a Defensive HC and all that…although his Super Bowl Rings he won with the Niners should alleviate the pain somewhat

To be serious, I understand where you guys want to go with this and I agree with the underlying premise: That a purely defensive HC with limited knowledge of offense is something Niner fans do not want to experience again.

But you guys need to remember that for all the offensive firepower the Glory Day Niners had, they also had great (if mostly overlooked) defenses as well. It is no coincidence that the Niners once send all their starting DBs to the Pro Bowl, had a few No.1 ranked defenses in the NFL as well and that the emotional heart and soul of those Niner teams actually was Ronnie Lott (as Joe Montana was more the cool, quiet type). Also, the Niners picked their defensive coordinator to succeed Bill Walsh, so defense was not entirely unimportant in Ninerland as well.

And a great offensive mind with a bad defense only gets you so far, look at all the recent Superbowl winners who got over the hump only after they paired great offenses with a good or equally great defenses (Saints, Packers). You need both to win the Lombardi Trophy.

That said, I am very happy with the new Harbaugh/Fangio offense/defense combination and I think they will do well.

But in the end (and what I ultimately wanted to say) the Niner DNA in my opinion is not necessarily having an offensive HC. I think the Niner DNA from Bill Walsh was being innovative and assembling and developing an excellent team, not only on the field (duh, you want to win games...), but also on the coaching staff side.

Think about it: Yes, Bill Walsh was innovative with the West Coast system and all the systemic changes he brought to the NFL. And he also found great players and developed them. But he also had a great coaching staff and his coaching tree is big and incredibly successful, with several NFL head coaches, some of them winning Super Bowls as well.

I am not saying Harbaugh can or should do all that, but he was very innovative in college, so lets see how that translates to the NFL. He also found and developed some nice talent especially at Stanford and he needs to do that again, especially at the QB position. And I think his initial coaching staff looks impressive, with a surprising amount of NFL experience for a former college coach, which should help a lot. But those guys around him are in my mind the true test of a head coach, regardless whether he is an offensive-minded or defensive-minded one.

If Harbaugh can accomplish that, he will be a HC with Niner DNA in my opinion and if he does that, he can and will be successful and would be even if he was a special-teams coach (like his brother ).

Nice post. But, to be clear, my statement shouldn't be taken so literally. I know it's an over-simplification of what has happened the last 9 years.
15 Stanford players invited for pro day

is that necessary? i doubt more than 5 Stanford players will even get drafted...let a lone 15 of them. isn't this a waste of money and time spent from other players? it's not like he doesn't know what they are capable off, he has coached them for 2-3 years...i really don't get this move by Harbaugh.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'm still jacked.
I'm still jacked.
I'm still jacked.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pelos21:
I'm still jacked.

Eric_Branch

#49ers Jim Harbaugh wants to out-physical opponents. Sound familiar? Don't worry. It's different. http://bit.ly/fN1O3m

what makes me feel good is knowing that Harbaugh can pick a very good QB. He had Tony Romo rated as an early round QB, that's pretty damn good
Despite some of us criticising Kevin Lynch' s columns, I must admit his latest is a good exposition of Harbaugh' strengths and weaknesses and what his coordinaotrs bring to the table. Read it.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Despite some of us criticising Kevin Lynch' s columns, I must admit his latest is a good exposition of Harbaugh' strengths and weaknesses and what his coordinaotrs bring to the table. Read it.

link?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
I'm happy we got him, but all of this is mental masturbation until the rubber meets the road and this team plays at a much higher level than they have in the past and we become a winning organization again. That's when I'll praise Harbaugh. I'm not ready to jizz on a mattress for him just yet.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by excelsior:

link?

I found it here:
Link
Share 49ersWebzone