LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
A whole lot of excuses for a guy who hasn't finished any better than 3rd, hasn't beaten Ohio State and hasn't won a championship at any level.

Money talks and b******t walks.

If Harbaugh doesn't win big this year, nobody can point the finger at anyone else but him, it is that simple. At some point you gotta deliver on the hype.

If he wins big, then a lot of the questions stop. If he fails, then all the homer fluff pieces in the world won't be able to cover it up.

I'm not debating that but just like here, the status of the franchise was in shambles pre-Harbaugh and tends to be forgotten as well. It takes time.

I'm looking foward to beating that other squad for the next couple of years and competing for a title. A NFC Championship is nothing you take lightly.. Something Urban-Saban knows none of and most likely never will in their careers.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jun 23, 2018 at 4:06 PM ]
It's obvious that Baalke was a god and harbaugh ruined his career

That's why UM football is miserable
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Putting up nearly the same record that got Brady Hoke fired.
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
I'm not debating that but just like here, the status of the franchise was in shambles pre-Harbaugh and tends to be forgotten as well. It takes time.

I'm looking foward to beating that other squad for the next couple of years and competing for a title. A NFC Championship is nothing you take lightly.. Something Urban-Saban knows none of and most likely never will in their careers.

Why would Meyer or Saban care? They coach the college game. They get paid a ton of money and are at the very top of their profession. Harbaugh will be judged ultimately by how he stacks up with those guys.

I don't recall Harbaugh having a losing season like Brady did when he got fired
UM has lost to OSU 15 out of the last 17 times. Let's not act like this is a JH thing. If they completely collapse like Hoke did I could see JH bolting but he has a mostly guaranteed contract that has provisions to pay him according to how he hangs with the best coaches. I don't see him going anywhere any time soon.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I don't know much about Urban Meyer, other than he was able to make Alex Smith a first round pick. I do know Harbaugh has some QB history with Alex Smith, Andrew Luck, and Colin. Jim has played and coached at the highest levels of football and has been successufl, and I'm wondering if it's the X's and O's and his offensive attack that is his weakness. On it's face, Jim seems to be able to develop Qb's, but his offensive attack is a run first offense which I think handcuff's him from more sucess. He's been able to develop defenses wherever he goes (I think) Stanford had a good defense when he was there, so did the 49ers when he was with us. I think he's a good recruiter. I just don't know why he's not had more success against Ohio State.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
UM has lost to OSU 15 out of the last 17 times. Let's not act like this is a JH thing. If they completely collapse like Hoke did I could see JH bolting but he has a mostly guaranteed contract that has provisions to pay him according to how he hangs with the best coaches. I don't see him going anywhere any time soon.

There were a lot of rumors a couple of months agov of him going to the Bears, but I think that he wants to really do well at Michigan and prove himself there before going back to the NFL. I think one of the reasons is that maybe he wants to develop an NFL level sophisticated kind of offense, so he'll experiment at the college level before taking his offense back to the NFL.

"1. Harbaugh has far better wins.
Hoke beat two 10-win teams (11-3 Virginia Tech and 10-3 Northwestern) in four years.
Harbaugh beat five (10-3 Northwestern, 10-4 Florida, 10-4 Colorado, 11-3 Penn State, and 11-3 Wisconsin) in two.

2. Harbaugh's faced harder schedules.
Hoke's 2011 and 2012 strength of schedule ranked in the 30s or 40s, depending on where you look. (That 2012 team played several elite teams, but also a whole lot of bad ones.)
Harbaugh's 2015 and 2016 SOS ranked in the teens or 20s.

Hoke faced an interim Ohio State head coach in 2011, beating the 6-7 Luke Fickell in Ann Arbor for one of two "rival wins."
Harbaugh's faced a fully operational Urban Meyer Death Star, taking it to overtime in Columbus in Year 2.

Hoke didn't play Penn State during this 31-game start, but lost to the NCAA-hindered Bill O'Brien shortly after.
Harbaugh is 2-0 against James Franklin's Penn State, beating the 2016 Big Ten champion by 39 points.

They did each beat one slumping Michigan State, with Harbaugh getting to face a 3-9 version, but that's about the only point in Hoke's favor in this section.

3. Hoke arguably took over a better team than Harbaugh did.
Michigan went 7-6 the year before Hoke arrived, but 5-7 before Harbaugh. Both teams got blown out a lot, though.

4. Harbaugh's faced far more coaching attrition.
Harbaugh's initial staff lost defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin, QB coach/passing game coordinator Jedd Fisch, RB coach Tyrone Wheatley, special teams coach John Baxter, and defensive backs coach Greg Jackson to promotions elsewhere or the NFL. Durkin's since vastly improved the recruiting at division opponent Maryland.
Hoke's initial staff lost only defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery.

5. 2017 was always going to be a rebuilding year for Michigan.
Big Ten media picked the Wolverines a distant third in the East. The Wolverines returned the third-least production of any team in FBS.

After seeing all those losses to the NFL, I think most Wolverines fans would've accepted a 4-1 start, as long as you didn't tell them the one would be to MSU.

And you can add starting quarterback Wilton Speight's 2017-ending injury after only three full games. Denard Robinson and Devin Gardner were mostly available during Hoke's time, though they each missed at least one game.

There's an argument to be made that those NFL losses were Hoke's recruits, but Harbaugh's got a good shot at three straight top-10 recruiting classes, so I'm not really worried there. And remember Hoke's offenses cratered as Rich Rodriguez's players left the program.

There are legit gripes!
Michigan's out of ideas on offense. The Wolverines should never rank No. 125 in red zone touchdown percentage. Throwing 35 times with backup QB John O'Korn in an MSU game that was devolving into a monsoon was an idea that went from iffy to terrible.

But don't lose sight of history just because of a rough stretch.
Harbaugh pulled off instant turnarounds in the FCS, Pac-12, NFL, and Big Ten.
Hoke had a 47-50 record as a mid-major coach and, since leaving Michigan, hasn't demonstrated much success as a defensive assistant at Oregon or Tennessee.

It's true that we're still waiting to see what it looks like when a Harbaugh tenure lasts beyond the instant turnaround, but I'm pretty confident in arguing Harbaugh's next 20 games will go way better than Hoke's 7-13 finish at Michigan.

We should laugh at memes in the meantime, though."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2017/10/12/16452336/jim-harbaugh-brady-hoke-michigan-football-stat-paul-finebaum

Now like a couple here have legitimately complained about Okorn which I give them that and showed Joe Milton, Shea Patterson, Dylan Mcaffrey and Jeff George Jr. Those are legit concerns.. or were.. The Paul Finebum is hate especially coming from a troll that probably has never played football in his life... Harbaugh is recruiting like an animal..

baalke took days off on draft days.

Context is very important especially when you listen to a troll like finebum..

Harbaugh after he wins a couple titles with Michigan will come back as a GM and show the baalkster-teflon don lessons on how to draft..

Harbaugh has gotten the best out of his Qb's, just ask Jake Ruddock. He wasn't even a name until Harbaugh and Detroit Lions stashed him away. The Lions got plenty of offers, now he is grooming his players, he recruited.. Joe Milton is already making alot of noise at camp..

Some context, Brady Hoke never brought this or built this type of roster nor Qb quality, Finebum is a Harbaugh hater and Troll, after these next couple of seasons he won't be talking much..
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jun 24, 2018 at 7:06 AM ]
Former opposing coaches dish on Michigan QB Joe Milton, who has 'it' factor

By Rachel Lenzi, Land of 10 Staff
May 10, 2018
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — When Michigan quarterback Joe Milton says he can throw a football 75 yards, he isn't exaggerating.

"The furthest I've thrown one is 85," Milton told reporters during Michigan's trip to France in April. "But on a regular day, maybe 75 or 80."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.landof10.com/michigan/michigan-football-joe-milton-orlando-clint-johnson-bob-head-cameron-duke/amp

Brandon Peters, Joe Milton and Dylan Mcaffrey are the future. Brady Hoke never created this level of competition not mentioning what this will do for 5 star Shea Patterson draft, He is already on the Heisman watch.

"1. Harbaugh has far better wins.
Hoke beat two 10-win teams (11-3 Virginia Tech and 10-3 Northwestern) in four years.
Harbaugh beat five (10-3 Northwestern, 10-4 Florida, 10-4 Colorado, 11-3 Penn State, and 11-3 Wisconsin) in two.

2. Harbaugh's faced harder schedules.
Hoke's 2011 and 2012 strength of schedule ranked in the 30s or 40s, depending on where you look. (That 2012 team played several elite teams, but also a whole lot of bad ones.)
Harbaugh's 2015 and 2016 SOS ranked in the teens or 20s.

Hoke faced an interim Ohio State head coach in 2011, beating the 6-7 Luke Fickell in Ann Arbor for one of two "rival wins."
Harbaugh's faced a fully operational Urban Meyer Death Star, taking it to overtime in Columbus in Year 2.

Hoke didn't play Penn State during this 31-game start, but lost to the NCAA-hindered Bill O'Brien shortly after.
Harbaugh is 2-0 against James Franklin's Penn State, beating the 2016 Big Ten champion by 39 points.

They did each beat one slumping Michigan State, with Harbaugh getting to face a 3-9 version, but that's about the only point in Hoke's favor in this section.

3. Hoke arguably took over a better team than Harbaugh did.
Michigan went 7-6 the year before Hoke arrived, but 5-7 before Harbaugh. Both teams got blown out a lot, though.

4. Harbaugh's faced far more coaching attrition.
Harbaugh's initial staff lost defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin, QB coach/passing game coordinator Jedd Fisch, RB coach Tyrone Wheatley, special teams coach John Baxter, and defensive backs coach Greg Jackson to promotions elsewhere or the NFL. Durkin's since vastly improved the recruiting at division opponent Maryland.
Hoke's initial staff lost only defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery.

5. 2017 was always going to be a rebuilding year for Michigan.
Big Ten media picked the Wolverines a distant third in the East. The Wolverines returned the third-least production of any team in FBS.

After seeing all those losses to the NFL, I think most Wolverines fans would've accepted a 4-1 start, as long as you didn't tell them the one would be to MSU.

And you can add starting quarterback Wilton Speight's 2017-ending injury after only three full games. Denard Robinson and Devin Gardner were mostly available during Hoke's time, though they each missed at least one game.

There's an argument to be made that those NFL losses were Hoke's recruits, but Harbaugh's got a good shot at three straight top-10 recruiting classes, so I'm not really worried there. And remember Hoke's offenses cratered as Rich Rodriguez's players left the program.

There are legit gripes!
Michigan's out of ideas on offense. The Wolverines should never rank No. 125 in red zone touchdown percentage. Throwing 35 times with backup QB John O'Korn in an MSU game that was devolving into a monsoon was an idea that went from iffy to terrible.

But don't lose sight of history just because of a rough stretch.
Harbaugh pulled off instant turnarounds in the FCS, Pac-12, NFL, and Big Ten.
Hoke had a 47-50 record as a mid-major coach and, since leaving Michigan, hasn't demonstrated much success as a defensive assistant at Oregon or Tennessee.

It's true that we're still waiting to see what it looks like when a Harbaugh tenure lasts beyond the instant turnaround, but I'm pretty confident in arguing Harbaugh's next 20 games will go way better than Hoke's 7-13 finish at Michigan.

We should laugh at memes in the meantime, though."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2017/10/12/16452336/jim-harbaugh-brady-hoke-michigan-football-stat-paul-finebaum

Now like a couple here have legitimately complained about Okorn which I give them that and showed Joe Milton, Shea Patterson, Dylan Mcaffrey and Jeff George Jr. Those are legit concerns.. or were.. The Paul Finebum is hate especially coming from a troll that probably has never played football in his life... Harbaugh is recruiting like an animal..

baalke took days off on draft days.

Context is very important especially when you listen to a troll like finebum..

Harbaugh after he wins a couple titles with Michigan will come back as a GM and show the baalkster-teflon don lessons on how to draft..

Harbaugh has gotten the best out of his Qb's, just ask Jake Ruddock. He wasn't even a name until Harbaugh and Detroit Lions stashed him away. The Lions got plenty of offers, now he is grooming his players, he recruited.. Joe Milton is already making alot of noise at camp..

Some context, Brady Hoke never brought this or built this type of roster nor Qb quality, Finebum is a Harbaugh hater and Troll, after these next couple of seasons he won't be talking much..

Excellent post. You have to make stuff up to disparage a great coach like JH.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Excellent post. You have to make stuff up to disparage a great coach like JH.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I guess the Michigan fan base is finally on to Harbaugh. I hope he falls flat on his face. Can't get away with the bad vibes forever.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I guess the Michigan fan base is finally on to Harbaugh. I hope he falls flat on his face. Can't get away with the bad vibes forever.

Nah his truly colors are showing and baalkes never was relevant..

Dumbest mistake in 49ers franchise history getting rid of him for baalke... In 4 years he has Michigan a title ready team for years to come...

Meanwhile back here in four years we are on our 3rd coach and no where near a championship.. Go figure, who pays for the dumbest mistake in franchise history? The fans!!

"Reap what you sow"

This is what most wanted.... Where is baalke now?
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jun 24, 2018 at 10:54 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

Nah his truly colors are showing and baalkes never was relevant..

Dumbest mistake in 49ers franchise history getting rid of him for baalke... In 4 years he has Michigan a title ready team for years to come...

Meanwhile back here in four years we are on our 3rd coach and no where near a championship.. Go figure, who pays for the dumbest mistake in franchise history? The fans!!

"Reap what you sow"

This is what most wanted.... baalke is no where to be found?

Nah, I'd rather have Shanny than Harbaugh - things worked out just fine for us.
Share 49ersWebzone