LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 173 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
harbaugh didn't win with class. that is why NC has the position he has.

Haha...it's like we all knew what Jed meant by that but it was still dumb to actually say it publicly.

I would rather consistently get to the playoffs and be a strong contender year in and year out than go 5-11 and 2-14

Odd...Jim's never stayed through a rebuild or started like scratch like ShanaLynch is doing currently.

For all we know that could have been 10 wins in 4 seasons. We weren't a playoff team in 2014... lost everyone to start 2015. What makes you think Jim would have taken us to the playoffs?

I agree with your premise...you want a HC and system that can give you a fighting chance every year though. Tomsula and Kelly were NOT that. LOL

Jed and Paraag have never kept a coach longer than 4 seasons, I wouldn't bet on them to keep Shanahan longer than that.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Jed and Paraag have never kept a coach longer than 4 seasons, I wouldn't bet on them to keep Shanahan longer than that.

I agree...they both still scare the hell out of me even WHEN they make a good decision.

I agree...they both still scare the hell out of me even WHEN they make a good decision.

I hope they can make this work. We shall see how Paraag's vision for football operations works. I am hoping for stability and success.
What did he do that would get anyone else fired from any other job?
Harbaugh lost one SB on a few controversial play calls and so did the new guy. Why would you think either couldn't win the big one

Obviously it's way too early to say but I 'believe' Kyle's system has proven staying power AND he is the OC too so we don't have to worry about him being too loyal to a crappy OC or archaic system. I also think Kyle is significantly more cerebral than Jim and has a better personality for the long haul (esp. with the FO).

Time could prove otherwise but on paper, this is my best guesstimate to start.
I hope they can make this work. We shall see how Paraag's vision for football operations works. I am hoping for stability and success.

It's safe to say as fans, we deserve that for a change!
Happy 4th all... celebrate...be safe! Enjoy your family and friends.

Haha...it's like we all knew what Jed meant by that but it was still dumb to actually say it publicly.

I would rather consistently get to the playoffs and be a strong contender year in and year out than go 5-11 and 2-14

Odd...Jim's never stayed through a rebuild or started like scratch like ShanaLynch is doing currently.

For all we know that could have been 10 wins in 4 seasons. We weren't a playoff team in 2014... lost everyone to start 2015. What makes you think Jim would have taken us to the playoffs?

I agree with your premise...you want a HC and system that can give you a fighting chance every year though. Tomsula and Kelly were NOT that. LOL

Yeah 1 average season and he gets fired. LUL. I always wonder had Harbaugh been retained would we have lost the same AMOUNT of players that offseason? Would certain players have been more prone to staying? maybe.

Yeah 1 average season and he gets fired. LUL. I always wonder had Harbaugh been retained would we have lost the same AMOUNT of players that offseason? Would certain players have been more prone to staying? maybe.

I avg season?

The only thing that dropped off was the defense
The question is how aggressive would we be with JH to change the roster. With the dog sh we had nobody could win here the past 2 years. Not even if we had Walsh at hc, Shanny as oc, and Belichek as DC. 15 had a string of bad luck that couldn't all be prepared for so we're probably just screwed that year from there the only chance JH would have is to out muscle Baalke and pull a Shanny and just overhauling the roster.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I avg season?

The only thing that dropped off was the defense

average as in, the record.... 8-8

Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Of course the FO could do something about it. They could have at least offered to match Tennessee and then let Walker decide between the 2 different situations.

But they didn't and their plan B sucked.

Walker and Davis would have been arguably the strongest and fastest TE combo 2013 and IMO enough to win the west.

I agree with all of this. The only issue is you can't offer up #1 $ at that time to a #2 TE. The market sets the contract tables and it made it even more challenging given the, state of our cap space at that time. The other aspect is he was a free agent and he could have stayed here if he really wanted...for less $, of course. And for all we know maybe he had family in TN, or had ties to the coaching staff, etc. We just never know other than the outcome of which he got #1 $ and #1 targets and probably made even more for reaching incentives... something he'd never make here because of VD.

In hindsight, we should have kicked Jamba Juice to the curb, paid Delanie, made him the #1 and centered the offense more around him like TN did...esp. after Kam stole VD's soul.

But nobody knew back then if DW would become what he's become...we were just hoping, like Vance now, or VD before him, that he'd become a more consistent pass catcher. I don't think anyone was really thinking of him as a #1 dominant TE... probably not even TN.

You can't knock giving Walker # 1 money (low end #1 money) back then and praise giving Vance #1 money last year (even though different salary cap situations) ..... IMO.

We rewarded the wrong guy IMO
Of course the FO could do something about it. They could have at least offered to match Tennessee and then let Walker decide between the 2 different situations.

Walker and Davis would have been arguably the strongest and fastest TE combo 2013 and IMO enough to win the west.

I agree with all of this. The only issue is you can't offer up #1 $ at that time to a #2 TE. The market sets the contract tables and it made it even more challenging given the, state of our cap space at that time. The other aspect is he was a free agent and he could have stayed here if he really wanted...for less $, of course. And for all we know maybe he had family in TN, or had ties to the coaching staff, etc. We just never know other than the outcome of which he got #1 $ and #1 targets and probably made even more for reaching incentives... something he'd never make here because of VD.

In hindsight, we should have kicked Jamba Juice to the curb, paid Delanie, made him the #1 and centered the offense more around him like TN did...esp. after Kam stole VD's soul.

But nobody knew back then if DW would become what he's become...we were just hoping, like Vance now, or VD before him, that he'd become a more consistent pass catcher. I don't think anyone was really thinking of him as a #1 dominant TE... probably not even TN.

You can't knock giving Walker # 1 money (low end #1 money) back then and praise giving Vance #1 money last year (even though different salary cap situations) ..... IMO.

Walker got better once he left

both TEs (DW/VM) sucked with the QBs we had.

We don't know still if we have the wrong guy

Vance was on the trade block and no one cared.

DW was a FA and got offered #1 TE money.

DW stats were comparable, but he was a matchup headache for other teams. Vance hasn't been that... yet
In that same time period NE was able to extend both Gronk and Hernandez. That didn't pan out for non football reasons obviously but there's no rule that says you can't pay 2 tight ends starter money. Just how I would of built you got Crabs, Delanie, Vernon then you build the rest thru the draft. 13 would really suck because Crabs got hurt but long term I think we're much better off.

Vance was on the trade block and no one cared.

DW was a FA and got offered #1 TE money.

DW stats were comparable, but he was a matchup headache for other teams. Vance hasn't been that... yet
big difference then a FA and Trading block.

Vance is more of a threat then DW ever was
Share 49ersWebzone