There are 192 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
@dj43

"a lot of growth remaining..."

Yes! About five yards worth of growth and the Niners have another championship!

I think Harbaugh should, can and will calm down on the sidelines a little, but I still find it more than a little annoying that some Niner fans are b***hing and skeptical about a coach who took a 6-10 team that hadn't been to the playoffs in nine years and brought them deep in the playoffs and on the verge of a championship in his first two years. There are lots of other coaches in the NFL that are calm all the time and never seem to be phased by anything that happens on the field but have a worse win-loss record than Jim Harbaugh. Maybe some of you would prefer a more mediocre record, but with a coach who is easier to watch on the sidelines.
http://youtu.be/tBgTtKwU4ek
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by BayArea:
Goodell + the refs despise Harbaugh and it's as simple as that. He needs to try kissing a little ass instead of being a dick to them.

f**k them. We own the f**king thing, ...whatever it is.

And we are the team that overcomes b******t against us

Oh yeah we totally overcame b******t against us. That is why we are superbowl champions right now right? We sure overcame a lot when we beat the Ravens. Impressive.

Im talking about all season with multiple seasons. We always getshafted when other teams get breaks against us. I remember when Frank Gore got penalized for face mask when he stiff-armed the guy. But theres many incidents that f**k us over and we still made it to the superbowl.

And Im not blaming the Superbowl loss on the refs f**king us over. We only came to play that game for two quarters and forgot that Frank Gore was on our team when the game was on the line.

While I agree with you mostly you can't ignore the fact that Harbaugh not being able to control himself with the refs has cost us. He doesn't have to get down on his knees and be their b***h but a little respect and they might throw us a flag or two. Many things could have changed the outcome. Even with the s**tty referees we could have won had we showed up in the first half. No arguing that. You can't ignore the fact that if Harbs wasn't so abrasive with the refs then the game wouldn't be umpired so lopsided in the Raven's favor. That is not to say that I don't love Harbaugh because I absolutely do but there is always room for improvement even with an elite coach like Jim. Nobody's perfect and if there is anywhere you can critique our coach it is that he has trouble controlling his hot head and that results in a disadvantage.

Look at that touchdown that was run back at second half kickoff. You got two maybe three guys on the Ravens committing penalties with the refs literally 5 feet away looking right at them and no flags thrown. Either they didn't give a f**k about officiating a fair game or they were blind. I think Jim yelling in their ear and spending most of the game on the field barking at them might have swayed their judgement.
  • dj43
Originally posted by GNielsen:
@dj43

I think Harbaugh should, can and will calm down on the sidelines a little, but I still find it more than a little annoying that some Niner fans are b***hing and skeptical about a coach who took a 6-10 team that hadn't been to the playoffs in nine years and brought them deep in the playoffs and on the verge of a championship in his first two years. There are lots of other coaches in the NFL that are calm all the time and never seem to be phased by anything that happens on the field but have a worse win-loss record than Jim Harbaugh. Maybe some of you would prefer a more mediocre record, but with a coach who is easier to watch on the sidelines.

Don't put words in my mouth. I like Harbaugh and he did a very good job with this team. HOWEVER, most of the key components of this team were here from the Nolan/Singletary years. The reason the team was not winning BEFORE Harbaugh arrived was that Singletary was the worst coach this team has had since the Fred Meyer/Pete McCulley years. Put Coughlin, McCarthy, Reid, Belichick, John Harbaugh or half a dozen other guys in charge and that 2010 team would have won 10 games.

Harbaugh will show how good he can be next season if he learns how to keep his emotions in check so as to solve the recurrent game management issues, improve situational play calling, get teams ready to START games and get this team to cut down on the penalties.
[ Edited by dj43 on Feb 25, 2013 at 9:42 PM ]
Oh, 3 or 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGns_QEUPTw
Originally posted by dj43:
@dj43

Don't put words in my mouth. I like Harbaugh and he did a very good job with this team. HOWEVER, most of the key components of this team were here from the Nolan/Singletary years. The reason the team was not winning BEFORE Harbaugh arrived was that Singletary was the worst coach this team has had since the Fred Meyer/Pete McCulley years. Put Coughlin, McCarthy, Reid, Belichick, John Harbaugh or half a dozen other guys in charge and that 2010 team would have won 10 games.

Harbaugh will show how good he can be next season if he learns how to keep his emotions in check so as to solve the recurrent game management issues, improve situational play calling, get teams ready to START games and get this team to cut down on the penalties.

All of these are SB coaches and all but one have won a Superbowl, not your run of the mill coaches. So yeah they should be able to lead a successful team. Good thing is we have a SB quality coach of our own in Jim.

I think we are lucky to have Harbs. When you look around the NFL landscape, it's easy to see what a cozy position we are in.
i think harbaugh being animated helps the team. shows the team that hes passionate about them and will fight for them when he thinks theyre getting screwed. i dont want harbaugh to change his intensity, just want him to be a little better prepared
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
he needs to learn to chill the f**k out. All the refs hate him and that's gotta affect how and when they reach into their pockets to throw a yellow flag.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Harbaugh will not do anything to hurt his player's. If he will be penalized he will adjust.

Yep. This.
Originally posted by MrPerfect:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Harbaugh will not do anything to hurt his player's. If he will be penalized he will adjust.

Yep. This.
Exactly. If it's in the rule book, he'll abide by it. He knows the rules. Again, I'm pleased with the new rule if it takes effect because I would like to see him calm down a little on the sideline and pay a little more attention to play calling. But, I don't want him to become one of these guys who just stands there and never seems effected emotionally. I agree with a poster above who thinks his energy and emotion shows the players he's with them 100%.

I agree with you that he might be more able to concentrate on situational play calling and game management if he calms down a little. I don't know about the getting ready to start games thing. There were some games last year where they started real fast so I'm not sure there is a tangible reason for the slow starts they had in the playoffs. Lowell Cohen thinks he's too tightly wound and that spills over to the team. I don't know about that because they do start fast at times.
  • dj43

I agree with you that he might be more able to concentrate on situational play calling and game management if he calms down a little. I don't know about the getting ready to start games thing. There were some games last year where they started real fast so I'm not sure there is a tangible reason for the slow starts they had in the playoffs. Lowell Cohen thinks he's too tightly wound and that spills over to the team. I don't know about that because they do start fast at times.

I'm not certain of the source of the problem but the team came out far too slow in numerous games last season. A time or two is to be expected but it happened far too often last year. The first Ram game would be easier to accept (looked past them) than the playoff games. Those are not acceptable.
  • dj43
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
he needs to learn to chill the f**k out. All the refs hate him and that's gotta affect how and when they reach into their pockets to throw a yellow flag.

Officials take great pride in getting calls correct but when one coach is a constant pain in the butt, when there is a 50/50 call it is easy, and justifiable, to call it against the team that is a pain.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Great Harbaugh thanks for leaving Smith in there in a blowout to injure a finger on the throwing hand. Real bonehead move there Jimmy. Great coach, bonehead moves sometimes.

If you disagree with a coaching decision, do it with more respect or at least, in a less inflammatory fashion.

The more I think of the QB move the more I believe it was part of multi part plan. 1) Get Kaep in there and show everyone why he was drafted and begin his era 2) What a better time to sit Alex, he was playing his best football and wasn't given the opportunity to shoot himself in the foot thus leading to getting nothing in return. Now we sit with multiple picks including an early second rounder. I cant help to think his benching was part of a bigger picture...
Originally posted by mryan1004:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Great Harbaugh thanks for leaving Smith in there in a blowout to injure a finger on the throwing hand. Real bonehead move there Jimmy. Great coach, bonehead moves sometimes.

If you disagree with a coaching decision, do it with more respect or at least, in a less inflammatory fashion.

The more I think of the QB move the more I believe it was part of multi part plan. 1) Get Kaep in there and show everyone why he was drafted and begin his era 2) What a better time to sit Alex, he was playing his best football and wasn't given the opportunity to shoot himself in the foot thus leading to getting nothing in return. Now we sit with multiple picks including an early second rounder. I cant help to think his benching was part of a bigger picture...

Ur over thinking.
Share 49ersWebzone