LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 138 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Did you guys see D.Walkers story about Harbaugh?

He said we needed an extrat QB at practice one day so Harbaugh got into full pads...lol

He said the players were walking out to practice one day and they were like "who's that guy out there with them old high top cleats on, wait that's coach"....lmfao
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Did you guys see D.Walkers story about Harbaugh?

He said we needed an extrat QB at practice one day so Harbaugh got into full pads...lol

He said the players were walking out to practice one day and they were like "who's that guy out there with them old high top cleats on, wait that's coach"....lmfao
yes ..years ago
And the Harbaugh debate still rages on haha.

Loved him for what he did but his inability to adjust was his own fault. He inherited a very talented team that went 8-8 under Singletary/Raye and their prehistoric philosophies. It's not like we went from worst to first. His brand of football fit our teams drafting methods the years before he arrived and it paid off. But as weird as it sounds his conservative-ness became very risky. Winning games by field goals and depending on defensive stops is like playing with house money sooner or later the tide is gonna turn. In the beginning his offense was somewhat innovative and all his risks paid off, by the end the offense was predictable and his luck ran out on the conservative approach.

Injuries played apart of both his success and his failures, definitely hurt last year… but the previous years the niners were among the healthiest teams in the league, especially his first two years. Health is one of the biggest factors of success and failure in this league which often gets pointed to in the low times but ignored during the good times.

Imho he is where he belongs, good coach but can't play nice with others and as a college HC he doesn't have to, hell NO ONE who has met Urban Meyer likes him (outside of his own players). An NFL coach is part of a business and like it or not there are always politics in business. The world is filled with professionals who are great at their jobs but don't maintain their position due to people/social/political skills.
Lol inability to adjust...

People come up with petty stuff to justify firing a guy who had historical success.

It feels better to lie to oneself that tomsula, mangina and geep are actually going to have more success then the coveted harbaguh.

Everyone on this planet is wrong and a few zoners know better though.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

People come up with petty stuff to justify firing a guy who had historical success.

It feels better to lie to oneself that tomsula, mangina and geep are actually going to have more success then the coveted harbaguh.

I didn't want harbaugh to leave, but I think it's crazy to think there wasn't an issue of adjusting. The other teams defense would call out our plays when we were lining up because the offense was so predictable. That's not speculation. Our own players were saying this years ago.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

How did he not have an inability to adjust? Look at any second half from last year or playclock issues, or holding on to an OC he repeatedly took over play calling from.

It's not a petty excuse, there is plenty of evidence to back up the fact he had a hard time adjusting the past two years of his tenure. Great coach, but the NFL has proven one can't just impose their will ad infinitum. I liked harbaugh while he was here but I also could see the red flags starting to pop up after the SB. Not some self created rhetoric to make me feel better, just observation.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I didn't want harbaugh to leave, but I think it's crazy to think there wasn't an issue of adjusting. The other teams defense would call out our plays when we were lining up because the offense was so predictable. That's not speculation. Our own players were saying this years ago.

You are correct.

And Harbaugh burns out quick, wherever he's been. If you can find it, look at some of the interviews with USD athletic director about his tenure there. Hardly anyone from Stanford was sorry to see him go, despite the success. And we all know the 49er story with Harbaugh.

I don't see him being at UM for more than four years. He'll burn out quick and move on, just like he always does.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Winning is hard in the nfl. Fact is Harbaugh's teams won A LOT more than they lost. Started last year 4-2. Then we lost Patrick Willis and somehow that's all the coaches fault why the season went to 7hit. What the f**k ever. In the end he's still my coach. Go Blue!

• Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SoCold:
Winning is hard in the nfl. Fact is Harbaugh's teams won A LOT more than they lost. Started last year 4-2. Then we lost Patrick Willis and somehow that's all the coaches fault why the season went to 7hit. What the f**k ever. In the end he's still my coach. Go Blue!

Well, when four years pass and UM still hasn't beat OState, talk to us then.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by SoCold:

Well, when four years pass and UM still hasn't beat OState, talk to us then.

need to beat Michigan State first, then we'll talk.

Jim pulling more douchebag s**t

Classic.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

Classic.

Medical staff: You're good, get out there kid!

Jim: I think I don't want you on my team, so you should retire cuz of your health.

Pipkins: Naw, I feel good coach. I wanna play!

Medical staff: On 2nd thought, you should retire cuz of your health.

lol
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

He just looking out for the kid.

The kid just didn't have that "enthusiasm unknown to mankind" twinkle in his eye.

In all seriousness, while I supported moving on from Harbaugh, this isn't that extraordinary. My (wild?) theory is that most major programs pull similar shenanigans. Whether they are up front about it or not, teams always have transfers. I'm guessing most coaches are frank with players' positions on the depth chart and they decide to transfer for more playing time. Then again, maybe most coaches are jerks and do apply pressure like this.

Either way, it's not enough for me to change my opinion on Harbs. He's an old-school alpha-male, jerk, football junkie, and very good coach who needs to calm down before he can take the next step as a coach. He's cool to hang around and cause trouble with, until he gets side-tracked, disappears around a corner, and leaves you to face everyone wanting revenge.
[ Edited by zonkers on Jun 26, 2015 at 11:05 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone