Not a member? Register Now!

Kings to relocate to Anaheim?

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
if the kings move i will be pissed, hopefully the Hornets will come to San Jose

i think that infringes on the Warriors territory. plus theres a pretty long list of cities with NBA caliber arenas that want a team before SJ.

I know Anaheim, Kansas City, St. Louis, Las Vegas, and i believe Tampa have arenas. Seattle deserves a team, but they cant get a stadium built.

the Kings are the local team around here where i live, so itd suck to lose our only pro sports team. im not a Kings fan, so in the end it doesnt bother me that much, but if they have to move id like to see Seattle get their team back, or maybe STL. i would say KC, but the fans out there are such hardcore Jayhawks fans, i cant see them paying much attention to a crappy NBA franchise.

Sac needs the Kings dude. They are the 5th largest employer in Sac and they employ like 1200 people, plus some bars/restaurants are dependant on game nights for extra business. Sac is going to need an entertainment venue anyway so it makes more sense to build an arena while you have a tenant in place.

Anyone who wants to help out, follow @SaveOurKings and @HereWeStay on twitter

I have a real hard time feeling sorry for Kings fans, because when the team was good back in the early part of the decade, everyone was into it. Kings crap everywhere, people all acting like huge fans. Then they started to suck, and after a few years now of being bad, its a ghost town here. no Kings crap anywhere. bunch of fairweather deserters.

I live right in the heart of the Kings fanbase, and i rarely see Kings anything anymore. shirts, hats, jerseys, bumper stickers, anything. nobody cares anymore because they lose, so in a way i think this area deserves to lose them. its hard to be into a perennial loser, but this is all we got up here, and very few are staying diehard through the tough times.

again, itd suck for this area to lose its only team, but i just dont see the passion.

With all due respect, I don't think you really know what the hell you are talking about. Exactly how long have you lived in the heart of the fanbase? To say that King fans are fair-weather deserters is absurd. Maybe you forgot, but the Kings SUCKED for years before they became contenders. I mean, the worst team in the league kind of suck. We still sold Arco Arena out every night and cheered just as loud then as we did when they were contenders. I would know since I was there for the bad times and the good times and once again for the bad times. I think the issue is that we went from being absolute crap to the toast of the town. Coming so close to winning a couple titles and then having the window of opportunity slammed shut was rough, and some people had a hard time swallowing the bitter pill of going back to garbage. I'll be honest, it took me a while to get over the fact that the Kings were no longer title contenders, but I never once stopped rooting. I am not saying there are not a few fair-weather fans out there, but don't lump an entire fan base together based on a few fake fans. Your response shows just how little you know about TRUE Sacramento Kings fans.

look, im not a Kings fan, i just call it how i see it. theres probably a good amount of Kings fans who are still loyal, but the fanbase as a whole is lame. ive lived here for 9 years now, and the hardcore part of the fanbase is still that way, but its small. i hardly ever see Kings crap anymore. nobody is wearing Kings apparel, putting Kings stuff on their cars, and in a town that has only 1 sports team, maybe about 1 in 10 people ever talk about them anymore.

nobody is questioning your loyalty. im just saying the Kings support as a metro area has gone down big time the last 5 years. normally when an area with 1 team is in fear of losing that 1 team, the whole place is rumbling in fear about it. i know about 3 people who have vocally gave a crap about it.
Originally posted by domesik:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Everybody who wants to fight this and would be willing to chip in on a new arena, please pledge some money to @CarmichaelDave on twitter #HereWeBuild. We got 100k pledged(not donated, but pledged) in the first 4 hours.

Maloofs already have their heart set on Anaheim.

Truth, they think that the revenue stream from luxury boxes and this TV deal they think they are going to land will help out their very well documented financial trouble (with the palms). They are wrong, and will get screwed in the end and probably lose the team, but there is nothing the fans can do.

That is partially true, but the last part is wrong. We can fight and fight and try to make it as hard for them to move as possible.

I agree we can do somethings for symbolism. Like raise a little change here and there and picket or whatever but the fact of the matter is that Joe sixpack here is not who the Maloofs need to help their major debt. They need the CORPORATE money that Anaheim can offer and Sac can't. Again, no amount of fund raising by folks that make 50k a year is going to do anything. I mean, folks can do whatever they want to make themselves believe that they can change this thing. Its just.....they can't. Sac fans right now are like this...

So you are telling me there is a chance!
  • mod
  • Veteran
Everybody who wants to fight this and would be willing to chip in on a new arena, please pledge some money to @CarmichaelDave on twitter #HereWeBuild. We got 100k pledged(not donated, but pledged) in the first 4 hours.

Maloofs already have their heart set on Anaheim.

Truth, they think that the revenue stream from luxury boxes and this TV deal they think they are going to land will help out their very well documented financial trouble (with the palms). They are wrong, and will get screwed in the end and probably lose the team, but there is nothing the fans can do.

That is partially true, but the last part is wrong. We can fight and fight and try to make it as hard for them to move as possible.

I dont know man... I think your only setting yourself up for a big let down. All I can do is applaud your effort. I think i'm just gonna give up on basketball if they move. I fell in love with this team when I was 11 in 2001. Its been hard to follow them, and even though I hardly see them on TV anymore, every time I do cheer the Kings on as if they are still the same team. I cant follow any other team but the Kings, at the same time I cant support any LA team... this is betrayal at its core. I would be more ok with them in Vegas than LA. I hope the Maloofs crash and burn financially. I hope nobody shows up when they realize the Kings aint exactly the lakers. Maybe they will realize how good they had it with Sacramento fans.

i think that infringes on the Warriors territory. plus theres a pretty long list of cities with NBA caliber arenas that want a team before SJ.

I know Anaheim, Kansas City, St. Louis, Las Vegas, and i believe Tampa have arenas. Seattle deserves a team, but they cant get a stadium built.

the Kings are the local team around here where i live, so itd suck to lose our only pro sports team. im not a Kings fan, so in the end it doesnt bother me that much, but if they have to move id like to see Seattle get their team back, or maybe STL. i would say KC, but the fans out there are such hardcore Jayhawks fans, i cant see them paying much attention to a crappy NBA franchise.

Sac needs the Kings dude. They are the 5th largest employer in Sac and they employ like 1200 people, plus some bars/restaurants are dependant on game nights for extra business. Sac is going to need an entertainment venue anyway so it makes more sense to build an arena while you have a tenant in place.

I have a real hard time feeling sorry for Kings fans, because when the team was good back in the early part of the decade, everyone was into it. Kings crap everywhere, people all acting like huge fans. Then they started to suck, and after a few years now of being bad, its a ghost town here. no Kings crap anywhere. bunch of fairweather deserters.

I live right in the heart of the Kings fanbase, and i rarely see Kings anything anymore. shirts, hats, jerseys, bumper stickers, anything. nobody cares anymore because they lose, so in a way i think this area deserves to lose them. its hard to be into a perennial loser, but this is all we got up here, and very few are staying diehard through the tough times.

again, itd suck for this area to lose its only team, but i just dont see the passion.

With all due respect, I don't think you really know what the hell you are talking about. Exactly how long have you lived in the heart of the fanbase? To say that King fans are fair-weather deserters is absurd. Maybe you forgot, but the Kings SUCKED for years before they became contenders. I mean, the worst team in the league kind of suck. We still sold Arco Arena out every night and cheered just as loud then as we did when they were contenders. I would know since I was there for the bad times and the good times and once again for the bad times. I think the issue is that we went from being absolute crap to the toast of the town. Coming so close to winning a couple titles and then having the window of opportunity slammed shut was rough, and some people had a hard time swallowing the bitter pill of going back to garbage. I'll be honest, it took me a while to get over the fact that the Kings were no longer title contenders, but I never once stopped rooting. I am not saying there are not a few fair-weather fans out there, but don't lump an entire fan base together based on a few fake fans. Your response shows just how little you know about TRUE Sacramento Kings fans.

look, im not a Kings fan, i just call it how i see it. theres probably a good amount of Kings fans who are still loyal, but the fanbase as a whole is lame. ive lived here for 9 years now, and the hardcore part of the fanbase is still that way, but its small. i hardly ever see Kings crap anymore. nobody is wearing Kings apparel, putting Kings stuff on their cars, and in a town that has only 1 sports team, maybe about 1 in 10 people ever talk about them anymore.

nobody is questioning your loyalty. im just saying the Kings support as a metro area has gone down big time the last 5 years. normally when an area with 1 team is in fear of losing that 1 team, the whole place is rumbling in fear about it. i know about 3 people who have vocally gave a crap about it.

No disrespect but if you lived here 9 years that means you came here in 01 or 02 so you don't really have a full reference on the fan base. You came when the team was the best they have ever been and has been declining ever since. I'm born and raised here for 33 years and I can tell you as a fan since 85' Kings fans are some the best and most loyal in all of sports. What you whitnessed would happen in ANY sports town if the team goes from contender to rebuilding as fast as they did.
  • mod
  • Veteran

No disrespect but if you lived here 9 years that means you came here in 01 or 02 so you don't really have a full reference on the fan base. You came when the team was the best they have ever been and has been declining ever since. I'm born and raised here for 33 years and I can tell you as a fan since 85' Kings fans are some the best and most loyal in all of sports. What you whitnessed would happen in ANY sports town if the team goes from contender to rebuilding as fast as they did.

I recall hearing about a devoted fan base before the kings dominance... As other pointed out I think many fans were simply in shock by the collapse.

I recall hearing about a devoted fan base before the kings dominance... As other pointed out I think many fans were simply in shock by the collapse.

That and the fact that people were turned off by the vote for the arena in 06, when the Maloofs pulled THEIR OWN support from the measure because they wanted 100% of revenues for everything, and control over rights within a few hundred yards of the building over which restaurants were built etc. Then the team tanked because they stopped giving a s**t about the fans. Even in 2006 with a 44 win team, the Kings ranked 9th in the NBA in revenue. The problem isn't the fan base or anything, it's these broke ass backstabbing owners who dont give a s**t about anyone but saving their damn upside down casino and pissed away all their dads money.

fair enough. youre right, when i got here the Kings were doing very well. From my point of view, there hasnt been ENOUGH loyal support for this team. theres a very loyal core fanbase for the team, but when youre the only team in town, the area should be infatuated with the team rain or shine imo.

in Nebraska, Nebraska football is all they have out there. if they ever tried to do away with the football program, their would be riots. The Kings are all we got up here for pro sports. the entire area should be abuzz about the fact that theyre about to leave town, but the overwhelming sentiment from where im standing is "man that sucks the Kings are leaving...what a shame..."

where the passion? in my neck of the woods, you just dont see the jerseys, the hats, the bumper stickers, etc all around town like a 1 team town usually has.

Im not trying to attack any loyal fan. i have a couple good friends who are Kings fans, and theyre upset about all this. I just dont think this area has done the best job fighting for their team during the bad years. when the Kings were good the entire area was Kings everything. you couldnt get through your day without hearing about how the refs screwed SAC in the Laker series. I understand things die down during years like these, but ive seen WAY more support for other teams up here.

The Giants, 49ers, and Raiders all get more local buzz than the Kings have gotten the past 5 years. im not trying to make fun of the Kings, im expressing disappointment that more people didnt get enraged over their team leaving.

But, ive only been here 9 years, and i live north of Sacramento in the Roseville/Rocklin area, so maybe its less intense. I dont mean to throw blame the fans way, im just making an observation.

fair enough. youre right, when i got here the Kings were doing very well. From my point of view, there hasnt been ENOUGH loyal support for this team. theres a very loyal core fanbase for the team, but when youre the only team in town, the area should be infatuated with the team rain or shine imo.

in Nebraska, Nebraska football is all they have out there. if they ever tried to do away with the football program, their would be riots. The Kings are all we got up here for pro sports. the entire area should be abuzz about the fact that theyre about to leave town, but the overwhelming sentiment from where im standing is "man that sucks the Kings are leaving...what a shame..."

where the passion? in my neck of the woods, you just dont see the jerseys, the hats, the bumper stickers, etc all around town like a 1 team town usually has.

Im not trying to attack any loyal fan. i have a couple good friends who are Kings fans, and theyre upset about all this. I just dont think this area has done the best job fighting for their team during the bad years. when the Kings were good the entire area was Kings everything. you couldnt get through your day without hearing about how the refs screwed SAC in the Laker series. I understand things die down during years like these, but ive seen WAY more support for other teams up here.

The Giants, 49ers, and Raiders all get more local buzz than the Kings have gotten the past 5 years. im not trying to make fun of the Kings, im expressing disappointment that more people didnt get enraged over their team leaving.

But, ive only been here 9 years, and i live north of Sacramento in the Roseville/Rocklin area, so maybe its less intense. I dont mean to throw blame the fans way, im just making an observation.

That's just how west coast sports fans react. It has nothing to do with being fairweather, just west coast fans don't personalize it that way. Not saying it's better or worse just the way it tends to be
Originally posted by aman49:
Everybody I know in OC is a Lakers fan. Nobody I know would root for the Kings. Bad, bad move.

I may not root for the Royals, but it would be cool to see NBA games in such a convenient forum.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by aman49:
Everybody I know in OC is a Lakers fan. Nobody I know would root for the Kings. Bad, bad move.

I may not root for the Royals, but it would be cool to see NBA games in such a convenient forum.

If I was living in OC or even SD, I'd go when they were playing the Warriors.
The Maloofs will move to Anaheim which will increase the value of the team on location alone and then sell the team.
Turning in my Kings hat. Seriously, this pisses me off. As a kid, we had Kings season tickets for a long time.
Originally posted by Joecool:
The Maloofs will move to Anaheim which will increase the value of the team on location alone and then sell the team.

I think that's exactly what's gonna happen. They're only concern is saving their lame casinos.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by teeohh:
anaheim

I was in a sports management class in 2007, one of my classmates dad's works for the Anahiem Ducks and he was saying how much the guy who built the Honda Center loves basketball, and how the Honda Center would be hosting more UCLA/USC/neutral site games in the future. He also said he thought an NBA team would move to Anaheim within 5 years. Looks like he was right.

The latest...

Sacramento petitioners heading to Anaheim to collect signatures - If they get 12,000 signatures, the recently passed $75 million bond to lure the Kings would have to go to a vote, which could delay the process.

Lakers, Jerry Buss, Phil Jackson strongly opposed to Kings relocation - The Lakers lose $500 million from their TV deal if another team moves into that market. Buss is apparently working hard behind the scenes to gather opposition to the move.

Quote:
Phil Jackson: "I don't see any community, I don't care if it's Bombay with 25 million [people], being able to support three teams [in the same market]...It makes it very difficult in our community and our television area to do that kind of a thing. It will hurt all the franchises....

It's small markets vs. large markets. Are the large markets willing to have another team move in and share their community? Chicago, New York City? [New York] is going to have a Brooklyn franchise now [starting in the 2012-13 season] instead of New Jersey. So that's inside the subway system. Philadelphia, another major city, another sized city like that, or cities in big metropolitan areas. Dallas, Houston? So it has to affect the major cities that have a monopoly, the top 12 markets....

The [Kings'] fans, I think, were No. 1 in the league [in the early 2000s]. And so it's really kind of disheartening to see a team that's played that well and a town that's supported it that well to not be able to continue, and to have to pull the plug or do whatever they might do come April as opposed to maybe going another direction."

(If Phil and the Lakers work some kind of miracle and help us stay in Sac, I would bury some of my hatred for that team . Some fans are already talking about giving him an ovation when he's introduced before Wednesday's game.)
[ Edited by SacRock14 on Apr 7, 2011 at 9:04 AM ]