Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kings to relocate to Anaheim?

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
if the kings move i will be pissed, hopefully the Hornets will come to San Jose

i think that infringes on the Warriors territory. plus theres a pretty long list of cities with NBA caliber arenas that want a team before SJ.

I know Anaheim, Kansas City, St. Louis, Las Vegas, and i believe Tampa have arenas. Seattle deserves a team, but they cant get a stadium built.

the Kings are the local team around here where i live, so itd suck to lose our only pro sports team. im not a Kings fan, so in the end it doesnt bother me that much, but if they have to move id like to see Seattle get their team back, or maybe STL. i would say KC, but the fans out there are such hardcore Jayhawks fans, i cant see them paying much attention to a crappy NBA franchise.

Sac needs the Kings dude. They are the 5th largest employer in Sac and they employ like 1200 people, plus some bars/restaurants are dependant on game nights for extra business. Sac is going to need an entertainment venue anyway so it makes more sense to build an arena while you have a tenant in place.

Anyone who wants to help out, follow @SaveOurKings and @HereWeStay on twitter

I have a real hard time feeling sorry for Kings fans, because when the team was good back in the early part of the decade, everyone was into it. Kings crap everywhere, people all acting like huge fans. Then they started to suck, and after a few years now of being bad, its a ghost town here. no Kings crap anywhere. bunch of fairweather deserters.

I live right in the heart of the Kings fanbase, and i rarely see Kings anything anymore. shirts, hats, jerseys, bumper stickers, anything. nobody cares anymore because they lose, so in a way i think this area deserves to lose them. its hard to be into a perennial loser, but this is all we got up here, and very few are staying diehard through the tough times.

again, itd suck for this area to lose its only team, but i just dont see the passion.

With all due respect, I don't think you really know what the hell you are talking about. Exactly how long have you lived in the heart of the fanbase? To say that King fans are fair-weather deserters is absurd. Maybe you forgot, but the Kings SUCKED for years before they became contenders. I mean, the worst team in the league kind of suck. We still sold Arco Arena out every night and cheered just as loud then as we did when they were contenders. I would know since I was there for the bad times and the good times and once again for the bad times. I think the issue is that we went from being absolute crap to the toast of the town. Coming so close to winning a couple titles and then having the window of opportunity slammed shut was rough, and some people had a hard time swallowing the bitter pill of going back to garbage. I'll be honest, it took me a while to get over the fact that the Kings were no longer title contenders, but I never once stopped rooting. I am not saying there are not a few fair-weather fans out there, but don't lump an entire fan base together based on a few fake fans. Your response shows just how little you know about TRUE Sacramento Kings fans.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Mar 1, 2011 at 4:01 PM ]
I'd rather an NFL team come to L.A. or Orange County just so I don't have to commute all the way up to the Bay Area or down to San Diego just to go to an NFL game
Anaheim approves funding for Kings

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The Anaheim city council unanimously approved a $75 million bond deal Tuesday night to entice the Sacramento Kings to relocate to Orange County.

The city council twice voted 5-0 for the measures to a round of applause from its packed City Hall meeting room, calling it another major step in luring the Kings to Honda Center.

"Anaheim took a giant step closer to bringing an NBA team to Anaheim and the Honda Center," Anaheim mayor Tom Tait said. "I'm thrilled. Actually, a better word is stoked."

espn
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Anaheim approves funding for Kings

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The Anaheim city council unanimously approved a $75 million bond deal Tuesday night to entice the Sacramento Kings to relocate to Orange County.

The city council twice voted 5-0 for the measures to a round of applause from its packed City Hall meeting room, calling it another major step in luring the Kings to Honda Center.

"Anaheim took a giant step closer to bringing an NBA team to Anaheim and the Honda Center," Anaheim mayor Tom Tait said. "I'm thrilled. Actually, a better word is stoked."

The well-traveled Kings' move out of the city they've called home since 1985 still is far from a done deal, although this lucrative financing deal removes a major obstacle for Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof.

The Kings must file for relocation by April 18, and the NBA's other 29 owners must approve the move by majority vote. The Maloofs then might need to pay a relocation fee to the owners, including possibly hefty payments to the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers, who share Staples Center 35 miles away.

Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson recently sounded resigned to an inevitable move, but the California capital's city government has taken a more combative tone recently. On Monday, Sacramento's assistant city manager sent a letter asking Anaheim to cease all negotiations over worries the Kings might default on $77 million owed to the city from a 1997 loan.

Joe Maloof responded to the letter with his first public comments on the deal, telling the Orange County Register that the Kings will repay everything they owe, and asking Sacramento to stay out of his business dealings.

espn
anaheim
Originally posted by teeohh:
anaheim

I was in a sports management class in 2007, one of my classmates dad's works for the Anahiem Ducks and he was saying how much the guy who built the Honda Center loves basketball, and how the Honda Center would be hosting more UCLA/USC/neutral site games in the future. He also said he thought an NBA team would move to Anaheim within 5 years. Looks like he was right.
anaheim

Im in ur beech citees, steelin' ur teemz.
anaheim
Everybody who wants to fight this and would be willing to chip in on a new arena, please pledge some money to @CarmichaelDave on twitter #HereWeBuild. We got 100k pledged(not donated, but pledged) in the first 4 hours.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Everybody who wants to fight this and would be willing to chip in on a new arena, please pledge some money to @CarmichaelDave on twitter #HereWeBuild. We got 100k pledged(not donated, but pledged) in the first 4 hours.

Maloofs already have their heart set on Anaheim.
Everybody I know in OC is a Lakers fan. Nobody I know would root for the Kings. Bad, bad move.
Originally posted by modninerfan:

Don't matter. Those guys are broke and the reason they're moving is they got their heart set on that 50 million dollar loan from Samueli, and they're hoping to land a big tv contract. But if we can get some national attention and some momentum, we could get some more local people to perk their ears up about a new arena. That would get prospective other potential owners ears perked up. NBA already took control of the Hornets because Shinn was in debt to a bunch of people. Maloofs dont want to sell but they are 500 million dollars upside down on the palms, and they are trying to save that place. They are probably close to bankruptcy and with as many teams moving in the last few years as the NBA has had, I can't imagine them leaving a loyal fan base with a new arena lined up and prospective buyers who are actually not horrible businessmen like the Maloofs. We have to keep trying no matter what, and we have to fight till the finish. The SF giants nearly left San Fran until they got some people who fought to keep the team and buy the team and fund a stadium. Now they brought the city of San Fran a championship. We should hope for the same with the Kings, and try our hardest to make it happen. Even when the future is set in stone you never give up and you never say die. Lets make this s**t happen!
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by aman49:
Everybody I know in OC is a Lakers fan. Nobody I know would root for the Kings. Bad, bad move.

maybe they'll pull an oakland move and come back

Truth, they think that the revenue stream from luxury boxes and this TV deal they think they are going to land will help out their very well documented financial trouble (with the palms). They are wrong, and will get screwed in the end and probably lose the team, but there is nothing the fans can do.
Originally posted by domesik:

Truth, they think that the revenue stream from luxury boxes and this TV deal they think they are going to land will help out their very well documented financial trouble (with the palms). They are wrong, and will get screwed in the end and probably lose the team, but there is nothing the fans can do.

That is partially true, but the last part is wrong. We can fight and fight and try to make it as hard for them to move as possible.