LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 333 users in the forums

Texas now owns college sports

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Move over, Notre Dame. ESPN just inked a 20-year, $300 million deal for a new 24-hour Longhorn network. ESPN has more about the network, which will feature 3 hours of non-sports broadcasting per day:
http://www.businesspundit.com/texas-espn-money-talks/

Texas already makes more money than any other program and has a stranglehold on arguably the best recruiting ground in the country. As a Longhorn fan of course I love this, but I can see the other side of it, giving an unfair competetive advantage, although it hasn't helped Notre Dame. What's a non fan's take here?
all that money and recruiting sure has won them a lot of national championships
[ Edited by valrod33 on Jan 20, 2011 at 9:34 AM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bob Stoops:
f**k texas
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
This is funny

How exactly one university fills a 24-hour a day, seven day-a-week programming schedule, though, is a viable concern. You don’t want hours of shake-weight infomercials. Fortunately, the Yahoo! Sports investigative team was able to obtain secret documents detailing preliminary plans.

Midnight Replay of the 2006 Rose Bowl

2:00 The Most Interesting Man in the World: Mack Brown

2:30 This is Oklahoma Football: The John Blake Era!

3:00 Our Greatest American Heroes: Mario Edwards, defensive end, Denton Ryan High School

3:30 Mad Money: Have we mentioned how dang rich we are?

4:00 Who Stole Vince Young’s Heisman? Live Interview with Lloyd Lake

4:30 Remember the Alamo: Panel discussion on remembering the Alamo

5:00 Walker, Texas Ranger: Chuck Norris wears Mack Brown pajamas

5:30 Bevo: Our mascot will kick your mascot’s ass

6:00 Bored to Death: Lubbock

6:30 Our Greatest American Heroes: Cayleb Jones, wide receiver, Austin High School

7:00 Around the Longhorn: Panel of ESPN journalists discuss how Texas has the world’s greatest football program. The least enthusiastic gets fired

7:30 Did you know Colt McCoy and Jordan Shipley were roommates? (Hosted by Brent Musburger)

8:00 Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? Live from College Station

8:30 Football’s Greatest Minds: 5. Parcells 4. Belichick 3. Walsh 2. Lombardi 1. Mack Brown

9:00 Replay of the 2006 Rose Bowl

11:00 Fair and Balanced: ESPN Investigative Journalism

11:01 Our Greatest American Heroes: Trey Williams, running back, Spring Dekaney High School

11:30 Dirty Rotten Scoundrels: Bob Stoops, Gary Patterson, T. Boone Pickens, Jack Mildren

Noon Jersey Shore: Galveston: Sammi screams at Ronnie behind the oil refinery

12:30 The Complete Anthology of the last 20 Red River Shootouts (1991-92, 1994, 1997-1999, 2005-06, 2008-09 games only)

1:00 This is Your Life Tom Osborne: 2006 Nebraska Governor’s Race

1:30 Don’t Mess With Texas: Panel discussion on why you don’t mess with Texas

1:45 Leaders and Legends: You need an entire conference to have a network? How quaint

2:00 The Rick Barnes Show

2:01 The Mack Brown Show

4:00 Replay of the 2006 Rose Bowl

6:00 Our Greatest American Heroes: Jonathan Gray, running back, Aledo High School

6:30 Unsolved Mysteries: Wait, we let Cam Newton get out of Texas?

6:45 The Longhorn Network’s Sexiest Man Alive: Mack Brown

7:00 Today in Texas Women’s Sports

7:01 Today in Texas Football Recruiting

8:00 Last Comic Standing: Aggie Jokes

8:30 Weather Center: Do you realize how dang cold it gets in Norman?

9:00 Our Greatest American Heroes: Thomas Johnson, wide receiver, Dallas Skyline High School

9:30 Mad Men: I’m a Man! I’m 40! And other possibly mentally unstable people from Oklahoma

10:00 Mad Money II: Have we mentioned how much dang money this network is making us?

10:30 Can you believe the NCAA is going to allow us to show high school football games? Panel discussion on how great it is the NCAA is going to allow us to show high school football games.

11:00 The UT Cheerleaders: Mississippi State ain’t got nothin’ on us

11:30 Replay of the 2006 Rose Bowl

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/slant/201101/longhorn-network-programming-schedule#
LOL, they couldn't even break .500 this year.
Originally posted by aman49:
LOL, they couldn't even break .500 this year.

Yeah, a year after losing once. We'll be fine.
Originally posted by TX9R:
This is funny

How exactly one university fills a 24-hour a day, seven day-a-week programming schedule, though, is a viable concern. You don’t want hours of shake-weight infomercials. Fortunately, the Yahoo! Sports investigative team was able to obtain secret documents detailing preliminary plans.

Midnight Replay of the 2006 Rose Bowl

2:00 The Most Interesting Man in the World: Mack Brown

2:30 This is Oklahoma Football: The John Blake Era!

3:00 Our Greatest American Heroes: Mario Edwards, defensive end, Denton Ryan High School

3:30 Mad Money: Have we mentioned how dang rich we are?

4:00 Who Stole Vince Young’s Heisman? Live Interview with Lloyd Lake

4:30 Remember the Alamo: Panel discussion on remembering the Alamo

5:00 Walker, Texas Ranger: Chuck Norris wears Mack Brown pajamas

5:30 Bevo: Our mascot will kick your mascot’s ass

6:00 Bored to Death: Lubbock

6:30 Our Greatest American Heroes: Cayleb Jones, wide receiver, Austin High School

7:00 Around the Longhorn: Panel of ESPN journalists discuss how Texas has the world’s greatest football program. The least enthusiastic gets fired

7:30 Did you know Colt McCoy and Jordan Shipley were roommates? (Hosted by Brent Musburger)

8:00 Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? Live from College Station

8:30 Football’s Greatest Minds: 5. Parcells 4. Belichick 3. Walsh 2. Lombardi 1. Mack Brown

9:00 Replay of the 2006 Rose Bowl

11:00 Fair and Balanced: ESPN Investigative Journalism

11:01 Our Greatest American Heroes: Trey Williams, running back, Spring Dekaney High School

11:30 Dirty Rotten Scoundrels: Bob Stoops, Gary Patterson, T. Boone Pickens, Jack Mildren

Noon Jersey Shore: Galveston: Sammi screams at Ronnie behind the oil refinery

12:30 The Complete Anthology of the last 20 Red River Shootouts (1991-92, 1994, 1997-1999, 2005-06, 2008-09 games only)

1:00 This is Your Life Tom Osborne: 2006 Nebraska Governor’s Race

1:30 Don’t Mess With Texas: Panel discussion on why you don’t mess with Texas

1:45 Leaders and Legends: You need an entire conference to have a network? How quaint

2:00 The Rick Barnes Show

2:01 The Mack Brown Show

4:00 Replay of the 2006 Rose Bowl

6:00 Our Greatest American Heroes: Jonathan Gray, running back, Aledo High School

6:30 Unsolved Mysteries: Wait, we let Cam Newton get out of Texas?

6:45 The Longhorn Network’s Sexiest Man Alive: Mack Brown

7:00 Today in Texas Women’s Sports

7:01 Today in Texas Football Recruiting

8:00 Last Comic Standing: Aggie Jokes

8:30 Weather Center: Do you realize how dang cold it gets in Norman?

9:00 Our Greatest American Heroes: Thomas Johnson, wide receiver, Dallas Skyline High School

9:30 Mad Men: I’m a Man! I’m 40! And other possibly mentally unstable people from Oklahoma

10:00 Mad Money II: Have we mentioned how much dang money this network is making us?

10:30 Can you believe the NCAA is going to allow us to show high school football games? Panel discussion on how great it is the NCAA is going to allow us to show high school football games.

11:00 The UT Cheerleaders: Mississippi State ain’t got nothin’ on us

11:30 Replay of the 2006 Rose Bowl

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/slant/201101/longhorn-network-programming-schedule#

LMAO!!!!!!!
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Quote:
Texas already has overlapping football rights via the Big 12′s television contract, meaning ESPN will shell out something like $15 million a year for one, perhaps two Longhorn football games and make up the rest on basketball and the relatively paltry revenue from other sports. How will this work?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Seriously someone explain to me how ESPN makes money here if they can only air one or two Longhorn games per year?

Maybe since this Texas contract is 20 years, they are hoping they get exclusive Texas football rights when the Big12 TV contract runs out

I am confused

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Bob Stoops:
f**k texas
Originally posted by crzy:
Seriously someone explain to me how ESPN makes money here if they can only air one or two Longhorn games per year?

Maybe since this Texas contract is 20 years, they are hoping they get exclusive Texas football rights when the Big12 TV contract runs out

I am confused

I think its a strategy that Texas will go independent and leave the Big 1.

I have lots of friends that went to UT, but I gotta say their arrogance over their sports really does get annoying. IMO every year Texas doesn't win a NC is a complete embarrassment for them given how every TX kid wants to play for them. How do you not just completely dominate when you have a complete lock down on the biggest football recruiting grounds? TCU does better then UT with scraps.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jan 20, 2011 at 11:50 PM ]
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by crzy:

I am confused

I think its a strategy that Texas will go independent and leave the Big 1.

I have lots of friends that went to UT, but I gotta say their arrogance over their sports really does get annoying. IMO every year Texas doesn't win a NC is a complete embarrassment for them given how every TX kid wants to play for them. How do you not just completely dominate when you have a complete lock down on the biggest football recruiting grounds? TCU does better then UT with scraps.

The downside of all that talent is ego and complacency. A lot of these recruits have been wooed since the 10th grade for their talent, so many develop no work ethic and a sense of entitlement. Meanwhile the TCU types develop a chip on their shoulder and work much harder. It's one of the reasons Mack was smart enough to clean house this offseason.
And as far as this Big1, that's laughable. The Big12 will boast 3 preseason top 15 and Texas isn't one of them. It will easily be the 2nd best conference next year.
As afar as the TV deal it just furthers the money being made on the backs of kids who don't see a dime. What a racket.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
pfft

BigTenNetwork is better
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
pfft

BigTenNetwork is better

Probably, but that one has to share the revenue. This one is all UT.
Share 49ersWebzone