There are 198 users in the forums

Cliff Lee signs with the Philadelphia Phillies

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
This thread is funny. I bet they signed him because he's a badass pitcher, and not many other reasons.

Pantstickle may not know much baseball but he hit this on the head. Well done Pants.

john, I never thought you were a kiss butt.......O well.

Well... I'd probably even kiss your big butt if the Giants won 3 in a row. (2 is pushing it)

John, My butt is not that big.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
obviously it makes them better, just dont know HOW much better...

They would have bettered themselves ALOT more by signing Crawford or resigning werth... they already had good pitching.

it would be like the giants making a trade for Greinke

Werth and Crawford cost 268 million though and Lee cost 100. Pretty big difference

BTW, You are wrong Lee's deal is 5 years $120million. They signed him because hes a great pitcher and what the Giants did to them in the NLCS. They don't want that to happen again.

OK 120. He still gave the team a huge discount and backloaded the deal. He could have made 150 million with the Yankees.

The reason, once again, that Lee is on the Phillies has nothing to do with what the Giants did to them. They werent even in the running until the last week when Lee and his agent told them where he wanted to play. They still wouldnt do the deal unless it was max of 5 years knowing that Texas and NY had better offers on the table. They also had money to spend with Werth leaving - why not go after a guy who is great and will give you a hometown discount?

NO... the reason the Phillies did this deal was because it was a GREAT signing and everyone who has ever played the game of baseball knows that a great staff can make you a winner. It really is that f**king simple.

Of course it has something to do with them losing in the playoffs. When Werth got away, they probably figured they have more money as their disposal to get a quality starter that they needed in the first place. Instead of trading for one, or signing a no. 3/no.4 type pitcher, they decided to go all out and made a play for an ace like Lee.

I don't think Lee gave up that kind of money. I don't think he ever wanted to go to the Yankees. Texas made a similar offer, and he decided he has a better shot of winning in NL.

People are overthinking this like the Giants and Brian Sabean invented the wheel on pitching. Like the Giants forced their hands and made them go after Cliff Lee! I think thats ridiculous. They had extra money with Werth leaving and had an amazing opportunity kind of fall in their laps. However, they really werent the ones that made the big play. It sounds like it came from Lee and his agent. Lee simply wanted to play in Philadelphia. I think they would have made this smart decision ( as the Phillies are a VERY well run franchise) whether they lost or won last year.

Whether you think he gave up that kind of money or not... the fact is Lee would have received a LOT more $$$$$$$ if he had gone to the Yankees. I find it refreshing that he didnt go just where the $$$ were. He went to a place that he enjoyed and could win. Nothing less, nothing more.

I never said Giants invented something or forced their hand. I think losing (and the way they lost) forced their hand. Braves have fantastic rotation, Phillies already had pretty damn good rotation - so it will be silly to think it was only the Giants who gave enough emphasis to their rotation.

But, when you are a huge favorite to win the pennant, and you lose with home-field advantage - it forces your hand (at least a good owner's hand) to go out and improve your team.

As far as the money is considered, I too think it was refreshing to see a player take less money. Happened in NBA this off-season with Lebron, Wade, and Bosh - but the reaction was very different.

good post, yes it was the way they lost and who and how they lost the NLCS. That phils team was sooo cocky and they were shocked and rocked off their a$$. John, why you can't see this? I thought you were a smart baseball man?

Jim, I see only that the Phillies had an opportunity to get a great player at a nice discount for them that would improve their team. Nothing more. I dont think it was because of how they lost. You can disagree. Thats fine. I truly believe they would have signed Lee given the opportunity that presented itself regardless of whether they won or not. When you are a big money market teams you go after guys like Cliff Lee whenever possible.

I love the Giants but some of the stuff that comes out of this board is amazing. The Phillies lost in 6 close games and that made them SOOO cocky? I dont think Halladay, Oswalt or their other stars were cocky or acted arrogant. They got beat in a very close series that could easily have been a disaster had Uribe not hit his huge HR in game 6. I really dont remember them talking smack , prediciting an easy victory, or putting the Giants down. That stuff bugs the hell out of me and I'm pretty sure that I would remember that.

Anyway, I think its funny that you think the Giants are better than the Phils even though we lost Uribe and they gained Lee. However, I REALLY HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT. Nothing would make me happier than a repeat.

a nice discount? Are you kidding me? Its a $120 million dollar deal, thats huge money, you think they just said, o were getting a nice player at a nice discount?? LOL . Pass the crack pipe John. You think this just all fell into the Phils lap and that this had nothing to do with the Giants of the fact that they did not sign Werth? I think this deal was going on for awhile. You just don't hand out a $120 million dollar deal. I think the teams are close and the Giants have better 1 to 10 pitching with a better closer.

Jimmy... I'd pass it over but you have had too many hits. Now go to bed. Its almost 8:30.
obviously it makes them better, just dont know HOW much better...

They would have bettered themselves ALOT more by signing Crawford or resigning werth... they already had good pitching.

it would be like the giants making a trade for Greinke

Werth and Crawford cost 268 million though and Lee cost 100. Pretty big difference

BTW, You are wrong Lee's deal is 5 years $120million. They signed him because hes a great pitcher and what the Giants did to them in the NLCS. They don't want that to happen again.

OK 120. He still gave the team a huge discount and backloaded the deal. He could have made 150 million with the Yankees.

The reason, once again, that Lee is on the Phillies has nothing to do with what the Giants did to them. They werent even in the running until the last week when Lee and his agent told them where he wanted to play. They still wouldnt do the deal unless it was max of 5 years knowing that Texas and NY had better offers on the table. They also had money to spend with Werth leaving - why not go after a guy who is great and will give you a hometown discount?

NO... the reason the Phillies did this deal was because it was a GREAT signing and everyone who has ever played the game of baseball knows that a great staff can make you a winner. It really is that f**king simple.

Of course it has something to do with them losing in the playoffs. When Werth got away, they probably figured they have more money as their disposal to get a quality starter that they needed in the first place. Instead of trading for one, or signing a no. 3/no.4 type pitcher, they decided to go all out and made a play for an ace like Lee.

I don't think Lee gave up that kind of money. I don't think he ever wanted to go to the Yankees. Texas made a similar offer, and he decided he has a better shot of winning in NL.

People are overthinking this like the Giants and Brian Sabean invented the wheel on pitching. Like the Giants forced their hands and made them go after Cliff Lee! I think thats ridiculous. They had extra money with Werth leaving and had an amazing opportunity kind of fall in their laps. However, they really werent the ones that made the big play. It sounds like it came from Lee and his agent. Lee simply wanted to play in Philadelphia. I think they would have made this smart decision ( as the Phillies are a VERY well run franchise) whether they lost or won last year.

Whether you think he gave up that kind of money or not... the fact is Lee would have received a LOT more $$$$$$$ if he had gone to the Yankees. I find it refreshing that he didnt go just where the $$$ were. He went to a place that he enjoyed and could win. Nothing less, nothing more.

I never said Giants invented something or forced their hand. I think losing (and the way they lost) forced their hand. Braves have fantastic rotation, Phillies already had pretty damn good rotation - so it will be silly to think it was only the Giants who gave enough emphasis to their rotation.

But, when you are a huge favorite to win the pennant, and you lose with home-field advantage - it forces your hand (at least a good owner's hand) to go out and improve your team.

As far as the money is considered, I too think it was refreshing to see a player take less money. Happened in NBA this off-season with Lebron, Wade, and Bosh - but the reaction was very different.

good post, yes it was the way they lost and who and how they lost the NLCS. That phils team was sooo cocky and they were shocked and rocked off their a$$. John, why you can't see this? I thought you were a smart baseball man?

Jim, I see only that the Phillies had an opportunity to get a great player at a nice discount for them that would improve their team. Nothing more. I dont think it was because of how they lost. You can disagree. Thats fine. I truly believe they would have signed Lee given the opportunity that presented itself regardless of whether they won or not. When you are a big money market teams you go after guys like Cliff Lee whenever possible.

I love the Giants but some of the stuff that comes out of this board is amazing. The Phillies lost in 6 close games and that made them SOOO cocky? I dont think Halladay, Oswalt or their other stars were cocky or acted arrogant. They got beat in a very close series that could easily have been a disaster had Uribe not hit his huge HR in game 6. I really dont remember them talking smack , prediciting an easy victory, or putting the Giants down. That stuff bugs the hell out of me and I'm pretty sure that I would remember that.

Anyway, I think its funny that you think the Giants are better than the Phils even though we lost Uribe and they gained Lee. However, I REALLY HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT. Nothing would make me happier than a repeat.

a nice discount? Are you kidding me? Its a $120 million dollar deal, thats huge money, you think they just said, o were getting a nice player at a nice discount?? LOL . Pass the crack pipe John. You think this just all fell into the Phils lap and that this had nothing to do with the Giants of the fact that they did not sign Werth? I think this deal was going on for awhile. You just don't hand out a $120 million dollar deal. I think the teams are close and the Giants have better 1 to 10 pitching with a better closer.

Jimmy... I'd pass it over but you have had too many hits. Now go to bed. Its almost 8:30.

John, Not so easy to get me to go to bed......but I am getting ready to pass out from all the smoke you are posting.....I can't wait till the season starts, I miss your season rants. hahahaa lol
the phils pitching wasnt the reason we got knocked out of the playoffs...it was the hitting..so i think if they were trying to counter the giants they would have went out a grab a few sluggers..They simply signed lee cause hes a great pitcher...nothing more nothing less
This thread is funny. I bet they signed him because he's a badass pitcher, and not many other reasons.

Pantstickle may not know much baseball but he hit this on the head. Well done Pants.

Or they signed Lee because oswalt has been injured on and off the last two years, blanton sucks and Cole hamel isn't nearly what he's hyped up to be. Now if a pitcher goes down whoever it is, they will still have an Ace

Originally posted by Knowledge:

Or they signed Lee because oswalt has been injured on and off the last two years, blanton sucks and Cole hamel isn't nearly what he's hyped up to be. Now if a pitcher goes down whoever it is, they will still have an Ace

hes not. Dudes hyped like hes an ACE, a top 10 pitcher. Hes not at all. He has control issues, has lately been getting rocked(yeah i know his ERA was down again this year) but hes not what everyone makes him out to be.

The damn broadcasters during the NLCS kept saying that the Phillies have three aces in oswalt halladay and hamels. H2O...
NLDS MVP,NLCS MVP,WS MVP...would have had the most wins ever by a pitcher in the post season if it wasnt for the rainout...One of the best change ups in the game and throws hard..dudes an Ace
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
the phils pitching wasnt the reason we got knocked out of the playoffs...it was the hitting..so i think if they were trying to counter the giants they would have went out a grab a few sluggers..They simply signed lee cause hes a great pitcher...nothing more nothing less

That's really not how it works. Having another bat in that line-up wouldn't have mattered.

They signed Lee because they lost and didn't win the WS. Had they won the WS - I doubt they would be shelling out 120 million to add to that rotation.

That's really not how it works. Having another bat in that line-up wouldn't have mattered.

They signed Lee because they lost and didn't win the WS. Had they won the WS - I doubt they would be shelling out 120 million to add to that rotation.

someone who gets it! Wow thanks for making sense. Knowledge has no clue and I have no idea why he has this post name. The bats went dead due to the Great overpowering awesome pitching of the SF Giants, one or two or 3 more bats or power hitters make no change, that would have folded just like Ryan Howard did (You have to love that last strike out of R Howard hehehe) Thats the reason were saying that the Phills signed Lee, it was the way the SF Giants slapped em in the NLCS. Thats why they did not re-sign Werth. It all makes total sense now. They knew that they need Lee more then a power hitter to win it all in 2011. The Giants did not need any power hitters and won it all. Smart teams jump on opps like this.
Cole Hamels is not an ace lol

I forgot the Phils season ended on a Ryan Howard strikeout.
Originally posted by global_nomad:

watching it right now eh
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

watching it right now eh

fo sho.

watching it right now eh

fo sho.

so many things could have gone wrong in the 9th..amazing

watching it right now eh

fo sho.

so many things could have gone wrong in the 9th..amazing

in the whole game too. Bouch using 3/4ths of his playoff rotation in that game
Share 49ersWebzone