There are 205 users in the forums

Cliff Lee signs with the Philadelphia Phillies

Phillies introduce their new ace in Lee

Quote:
Phillies introduce their newest ace in Lee

By Evan Drellich / MLB.com | 12/15/10 3:25 PM EST

After pitching for four teams in two seasons, Cliff Lee finally has a home, though it wasn't the one most people expected.

The prized pitcher of this year's free-agent market was formally introduced as the newest member of the Phillies on Wednesday afternoon at Citizens Bank Park.

"It's been a whirlwind couple of years for me, and it's been a fun ride, and this offseason's been full of unknowns, and it feels great to land back here in Philadelphia," Lee said. "I never wanted to leave this place in the first place. To get an opportunity to come back and be part of this team and this pitching rotation is going to be something that's historic, I believe."

Though Lee went to the World Series with the Rangers in 2010, it was Philadelphia, which he led to the World Series in 2009, where he wanted to be most. The 32-year-old left-hander from Arkansas agreed to a five-year, $120 million contract late on Monday night.

For most of the offseason, the Rangers and the Yankees were believed to be the only two serious contenders to sign Lee, but general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. made a late push after the Winter Meetings. It also didn't hurt that Philadelphia is in the Senior Circuit.

"I prefer National League baseball over the American style of baseball," said Lee. "I like to hit. I like to face the other pitcher instead of the DH."

Lee's contract has a vesting option that could keep him in Philadelphia for six years. He was traded three times since the start of the 2009 season: from Cleveland to Philadelphia, from Philadelphia to Seattle and from Seattle to Texas. That's almost inexplicable for a pitcher of Lee's caliber.

Lee left money on the table to return to Philadelphia, where he pitched in the second half of the 2009 season before the Phils traded him to the Mariners last December. The Yankees offered Lee a six-year, $138 million contract with a vesting option that increased the value to $154 million, according to ESPN.com.

"The intensity that you can feel when you get in the game, you can feel the volume every game," Lee said. "Every game has got an elevated feel to it compared to everywhere else."

But in the end, he preferred playing in Philadelphia.

"There wasn't anything that scared me away from New York," said Lee. "I wasn't scared to play there."

The 2008 American League Cy Young Award winner with Cleveland, Lee joins the Phillies at the top of his game and gives them a rotation that could go down as one of the best all-time. Lee went a combined 12-9 with a 3.18 ERA and seven complete games in 28 regular-season starts last season, and he joins a rotation with Roy Oswalt, Cole Hamels and defending National League Cy Young Award winner Roy Halladay.

Different from Lee's first go-around in Philadelphia, when he won all four of his playoff starts including two in the World Series, is Lee's uniform number. He'll wear No. 33 next season. He previously wore No. 34 in Philly.
[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 16, 2010 at 12:51 PM ]
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Phillies can't get him
I'm confused. Is he closer to a decision? Or has Philly formally entered the bidding?
i will f**king s**t a brick if the phils pull this off...it would be the greatest rotation ever assembled in baseball history..season tickets here i come!
Originally posted by Knowledge:
i will f**king s**t a brick if the phils pull this off...it would be the greatest rotation ever assembled in baseball history..season tickets here i come!

yeah who could beat both Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee?

Oh wait

Originally posted by ads_2006:

Oh wait

Oh snap!
Originally posted by Psinex:

Oh wait

Oh snap!

Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Oh wait

Oh snap!

Enjoy it while it lasts guys! Once April hits, it starts all over again.

Oh wait

Oh snap!

Originally posted by PTulini:
Phillies make a late play for Lee

who would they let go?

They cant afford all those guys and a 7 year deal for lee

sorry to derail your thread

who would they let go?

I think it would be a shorter deal. Maybe 5 years?

who would they let go?

The only derailing going on here is interruptin the awesome giants pics, so here's some more:

done deal Lee's a Phillie....again

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
[ Edited by Knowledge on Dec 13, 2010 at 9:10 PM ]
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Wow

lol, I'm gonna laugh when the Giants beat them in the playoffs again
Share 49ersWebzone