There are 235 users in the forums

SMU The Pony Express ESPN 30 for 30

Fantastic 2 hour documentary. Kinda funny that it is showing exactly after Cam Newton won the Heisman.

But back on topic. A school flat out having a payroll of players on a team to compete. And keot doing it after being put on probation 3 times!!!!! Wow. That was a stacked team that went 9-0-1 in what '83?

Good for them in 2009 to win their first bowl game they had been in for 25 years.

Great peice.

What would it be like to have a college league that pays thier players, to go against a league like the SEC or Big 10 or 12?
[ Edited by ninerlifer on Dec 11, 2010 at 7:56 PM ]
A really good documentary. I'm watching that now. LOL. I never knew all that stuff. Dickerson was really good in college and pros.
Just finished watching it. Great documentary, seeing all those top recruits on one team was amazing. Also after the death penalty they gave up 95! points to Houston
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Just finished watching it. Great documentary, seeing all those top recruits on one team was amazing. Also after the death penalty they gave up 95! points to Houston

Yeah I remember that with Andre Ware and their Run & Shoot O....when he won the Heisman. 771 yards passing 1021 yards total offense. Against true freshman. lol

I currently am attending SMU, and this doc is the sole reason why this is my profile picture
I thought it was funny how Eric tried to act like the car was not bought for him...i laughed.

Very good segment. I enjoyed it. Watched it then the UFC, good night. I really enjoy these 30 for 30 specials.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
I thought it was funny how Eric tried to act like the car was not bought for him...i laughed.

Very good segment. I enjoyed it. Watched it then the UFC, good night. I really enjoy these 30 for 30 specials.

yup...like my grandma got that for me. negro pls. you're from texas where colour folk are po' and to top it off in the late '70's.
yea it was pretty good the dam governor was in on the cover up
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
finally watched it, very interesting. the gross violations committed by SMU and it's donors is very shocking. I am sure that it still occurs but is done more discretely.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
A really good documentary. I'm watching that now. LOL. I never knew all that stuff. Dickerson was really good in college and pros.

For a second I thought about how Eric Dickerson and Dennis Erickson sound too much alike.

I like how they ended by briefly showing reaction to the USC sanctions and showing how Carroll fled, and how it wasn't close to the "death penalty".

And how the NCAA will never come down on everything because they make millions off these "students".
I remember the epic 1980 Holiday Bowl with the SMU Pony Express against BYU and Jim McMahon . . . James and Dickerson ran wild but McMahon led BYU to a ridiculous 21 point comeback in the last half of the fourth quarter . . . maybe the second best college game I've seen behind the Flutie-Kosar epic a few years later.
Originally posted by AZ9er:
finally watched it, very interesting. the gross violations committed by SMU and it's donors is very shocking. I am sure that it still occurs but is done more discretely.

I completely agree. I was surprised to see the Ohio State players selling things, I figured they were already getting payed nice money at such a prestigious program.
Share 49ersWebzone