There are 135 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

possible NBA lockout in 2011

everyone knows the rumors, stern and the owners are taking a hard stance. I believe there is a really good chance we will miss games next season. We had one in 1998. This time, i see a few teams moving, certain markets will not survive this lockout. I really hope it does not happen, it will suck to have no NBA or NFL next year. Thoughts?
I think games will be missed, but probably not the whole season. Some guys will go to Europe, the player's union will eventually break, and only one team will move.

The NBA generated more revenue than they have at any point in history last year. The markets will survive. The owners are full of s**t.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
I think at least 75% of the season will be missed. The owners will buckle down and try to bully the players into making concessions.
Originally posted by crzy:
I think at least 75% of the season will be missed. The owners will buckle down and try to bully the players into making concessions.

I don't think they'd play 25% of a season, I think the cut off date would be before then.

The owners can't f**k around with the players too much, at the risk of the players decertifying and filing anti-trust lawsuits against the owners. We'd definitely miss the whole season in that scenario, but it does give the players some leverage.
As long as the Lakers win the title again I can live the lockout next year.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I think games will be missed, but probably not the whole season. Some guys will go to Europe, the player's union will eventually break, and only one team will move.

The NBA generated more revenue than they have at any point in history last year. The markets will survive. The owners are full of s**t.

Cosigned.

They won't play a 20 game season
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

I don't think they'd play 25% of a season, I think the cut off date would be before then.

The owners can't f**k around with the players too much, at the risk of the players decertifying and filing anti-trust lawsuits against the owners. We'd definitely miss the whole season in that scenario, but it does give the players some leverage.

Bingo, as I've said before, Im betting the players' strategy is to decertify their union and CBA, expecting that the league will fear losing its antitrust exemption protection and that it will be forced to litigate a very long and expensive antitrust case, and when faced with this possibility the players hope that the league will relent and negotiate a much more favorable CBA for them

That lawsuit the NFL lost recently (that stated that they were indeed one entity rather than 30 competing entities) has given some leverage to the players and really hurt the owners who were probably hoping to dominate the players in negotiations and have things their way
  • crzy
  • Veteran
i really hope there is contraction
good
Players Union voting on decertifying

Apparently two teams have already voted unanimously to do so. As it says in the article, that's their "nuclear weapon", but they really don't want to use it.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
On the basis of an antitrust lawsuit, the players could probably win the age argument......but there's a great chance that everything else blows up in their faces.

The union offered the players many benefits....guaranteed salaries, minimum salaries, pensions, etc.

They would be risking far more than the owners.
i really hope there is contraction

no contraction , I think two teams may move, hornets are done in new orleans, even if there was not a lockout. Minnesota might be done up there. Kansas City or Seattle are possible sites for teams to move too