There are 227 users in the forums

Travis Pastrana set for Nationwide in '11

CORNELIUS, N.C. -- Travis Pastrana is headed to NASCAR, both as a driver and team owner, Pastrana-Waltrip Racing announced Thursday.

Pending NASCAR approval, the Moto X, X Games and American rally racing star plans to debut in the NASCAR Nationwide Series in 2011 under the Pastrana-Waltrip Racing banner, meaning he will own and drive Toyota Camrys provided to him by Michael Waltrip Racing.

"I've been following NASCAR closely for years as a fan of the sport with competing in the sport a life-long dream," Pastrana said in a statement. "I decided it was time to try and turn that dream into reality and with the help of the Bechtel family, Michael Waltrip Racing and Wasserman media group I'm now one step closer!"

The car's number has not yet been determined. Waltrip owns the No. 99, and Pastrana's longtime racing number is 199.

Pastrana will compete in at least seven Nationwide races in 2011, plus the Toyota Showdown at Irwindale Speedway in NASCAR's Whelen All-American Series. Pastrana plans to increase his workload to at least 20 races in 2012.

Exactly which event he debuts in Nationwide is yet to be determined, but sources said the hope is Phoenix International Raceway in February.

Before he can compete, Pastrana must go through NASCAR's approval process. NASCAR officials said Thursday that Pastrana is not yet approved for NASCAR competition. Basically, that means submitting a resume to NASCAR, which then determines whether the driver is capable of NASCAR competition.

Subaru announced Wednesday it had ended its relationship with Pastrana, but that doesn't mean Pastrana's rally racing days are necessarily over. Sources said he hopes to race in the 2011 X Games in a Toyota rally car.

"Travis brought rally to a whole new audience through the rally championship and of course through his spectacular appearances at X Games," Tim Mahoney, CMO of Subaru of America, said in a press release. "We wholeheartedly thank him for his outstanding performances with Subaru Rally Team USA and wish him well in his future endeavors."

Red Bull, a longtime partner of Pastrana's in myriad racing exploits, will remain a personal sponsor but will not be the primary sponsor on his NASCAR machines.

Pastrana is an international icon, made famous by his daring on two wheels and charisma in front of the camera. In recent years he moved from two wheels to four, racing in the American Rally Car Championship.
that's the dude in nitro circus right? guy's a sav
Originally posted by bayarealuv:
that's the dude in nitro circus right? guy's a sav

Yeah, that's him. He blew people away when he stepped into rally and tore it up. I'm very interested to see how he does.
This should be very interesting, he would be the only thing that would get me to have any interest in NASCAR
Pastranas badass hope it works out for him.I was hoping Ricky Carmichael would have had better luck in the truck series.
This guy is something else!
good for him and good for NASCAR. they need it. I hope he does good, cause dude is legit
NASCAR's ratings have TANKED...this might briing a whole new different type of crowd and following.
Travis is dope.

What's his number gonna be ? lol
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Travis is dope.

What's his number gonna be ? lol

Quote:

The car's number has not yet been determined. Waltrip owns the No. 99, and Pastrana's longtime racing number is 199.

Sweet I cant wait to see him and Ricky Carmichael go after it in NASCAR.
Travis Pastrana, Ricky Carmichael and Danica Patrick. The Nascar Nationwide Series is going to be real interesting next season.
travis pastrana is fckin nuts
How does he manage to get so much air with those huge balls weighing him down?
I am sure Denny Hamlin and Kyle Busch will welcome him 'properly' into NASCAR.
Share 49ersWebzone