There are 227 users in the forums

Official Hot Stove Thread (MLB free agency)

Originally posted by TheNaitch:

Injured again.

Steve Carlton?! Dang!!! He old!!!
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Renteria Wants To Retire With Cardinals Or Marlins

One way or another, Edgar Renteria wants to bring his career full circle and return to the site of his postseason heroics. Few other players could say this and still keep their options open, but Renteria has some choices. Changing course from a recent statement that he would prefer to return to the Giants, Renteria told reporters in his hometown of Barranquilla, Colombia yesterday that he would like to retire playing either for the Cardinals or the Marlins (link in Spanish).

Over the course of nearly an hour of questioning, Renteria explained that he had been undecided about retirement following the World Series, so he sought the opinions of the baseball minds he admired most. "God sent me a message through the MVP, and I don't know if he did it so that I would retire or so that I would keep going," Renteria said. "In any case, I spoke with important baseball people like Tony La Russa, Bobby Cox, and Manny Mota, and they suggested that I continue, and I'm motivated."

Renteria reiterated that he is willing to play second base as well as shortstop, though even after his down 2009 campaign, the 35-year-old stands out as a feasible backup and occasional starter on both sides of the bag. Both the Cardinals and the Marlins have their 2009 and 2010 starting middle infields under contract for 2011, though the Cardinal duo of Skip Schumaker and Brendan Ryan customarily leave more opportunities for spot-starts and substitutions than the Marlins' steady Dan Uggla and Hanley Ramirez. Though the Marlins aren't a fit for Renteria now, a spot could open up if they are unable to reach an agreement with Uggla and explore trading the second baseman.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by jrg:
Wow..I'm done here

jrg wants a ton for Rasmus because he knows deep down theres a chance Pujols doesnt re-sign, and it scares him to death. he could get alot more on the open market, and its looking more and more by the day that he may be open to leaving STL if he cant get the deal him and his agent are looking for.

You Giant fans are hilarious

hey now, dont group me in with that guy.

me neither lol
Please angels get Crawford!
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadMoneyMarshall:
Originally posted by dman:
Originally posted by MadMoneyMarshall:

Championship.
Renteria Wants To Retire With Cardinals Or Marlins

One way or another, Edgar Renteria wants to bring his career full circle and return to the site of his postseason heroics. Few other players could say this and still keep their options open, but Renteria has some choices. Changing course from a recent statement that he would prefer to return to the Giants, Renteria told reporters in his hometown of Barranquilla, Colombia yesterday that he would like to retire playing either for the Cardinals or the Marlins (link in Spanish).

Over the course of nearly an hour of questioning, Renteria explained that he had been undecided about retirement following the World Series, so he sought the opinions of the baseball minds he admired most. "God sent me a message through the MVP, and I don't know if he did it so that I would retire or so that I would keep going," Renteria said. "In any case, I spoke with important baseball people like Tony La Russa, Bobby Cox, and Manny Mota, and they suggested that I continue, and I'm motivated."

Renteria reiterated that he is willing to play second base as well as shortstop, though even after his down 2009 campaign, the 35-year-old stands out as a feasible backup and occasional starter on both sides of the bag. Both the Cardinals and the Marlins have their 2009 and 2010 starting middle infields under contract for 2011, though the Cardinal duo of Skip Schumaker and Brendan Ryan customarily leave more opportunities for spot-starts and substitutions than the Marlins' steady Dan Uggla and Hanley Ramirez. Though the Marlins aren't a fit for Renteria now, a spot could open up if they are unable to reach an agreement with Uggla and explore trading the second baseman.

Cardinals better keep his spot on the DL warm...
If Renteria wants to continue with the Cardinals good for him. Giants got out what they could out of him. If he leaves thanks for the World Series Edgar.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rigs49:
If Renteria wants to continue with the Cardinals good for him. Giants got out what they could out of him. If he leaves thanks for the World Series Edgar.

We just need to improve our middle infield desperately...Brendan Ryan and Skip Schumaker simply are NOT getting it done...Ryan is solid defensively...but other then that..they're both AAA talents or bench player talents...not starters.

We just need to improve our middle infield desperately...Brendan Ryan and Skip Schumaker simply are NOT getting it done...Ryan is solid defensively...but other then that..they're both AAA talents or bench player talents...not starters.

So did he sign with you guys yet?

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

So did he sign with you guys yet?

Nah. Only thing I've heard was what I posted...he'd just prefer to retire in St. Louis or w/ the Marlins. I hope we get him, even if he isn't a starter.

lol Bill Simmons was making fun of Cardinals fans for being such great fans, and so loyal, that they sometimes didnt pay attention to the rest of baseball, and when sports radio talked about things like "best 2B in the majors", Cards fans would call in defending their players like "how DARE you not mention Skip Schumaker! hes a class act, he gets big hits, and hes meant alot to this team!"
With the GM meetings beginning this week the action should get rolling soon

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:

lol Bill Simmons was making fun of Cardinals fans for being such great fans, and so loyal, that they sometimes didnt pay attention to the rest of baseball, and when sports radio talked about things like "best 2B in the majors", Cards fans would call in defending their players like "how DARE you not mention Skip Schumaker! hes a class act, he gets big hits, and hes meant alot to this team!"

hahaha..he used to be alright..but he's gotta go now
Someone had better check if the pilot light's been lit on the stove.
Share 49ersWebzone