LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Kornshizer: local loudmouth/voice of the east coast/just an ESPN suit monkey

Kornshizer: local loudmouth/voice of the east coast/just an ESPN suit monkey

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Ratings couldn't possibly be more irrelevant.

It doesn't f**king matter.
Originally posted by crzy:

Only to advertisers. Not sure why fans give a s**t about a guy saying the ratings will be low.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by NatralBrnThrila:
I usually laugh at this guy's east coast bias/stupidity, but he's gone too damn far this time.

When asked by Wilbon today if this World Series is "a great match-up for baseball", ol' Korny replies "not if they want ratings". Don't worry, this talking pile of pig sh*t goes on to elaborate. He goes on to say this match-up "cuts out 2/3 of the country east of the Mississippi. They don't know the Giants, they don't know the Rangers.....if you cut out 2/3 of the country; because these are western teams

That's pretty accurate i live in DC and nobody cares about either team east of the Mississippi. You gotta realize by the time a giants baseball games comes on here it's usually 10pm we never see them play. The games should be good but ratings will be crappy b/c the most populated part of the country could really careless. That isn't a bias it's just the facts. It would be bias if he said the games will stink b/c west coast teams aren't good. He's just stating that nobody really cares. Just like if the Wizards got the the NBA championship against the Rockets folks in La would careless.

I don't buy into the whole "your games come too late" argument. I can say their games come way too early for us, but of course we're shoved nonstop coverage about those teams through the media. This natural bias stems into other sports too like football where time plays no factor. Unless it's an LA team, east coasters don't give a s**t. I wish it was just apparent to them we don't give a s**t about 95% of their teams either.

It's a factor. I can't ever get a relationship and get to know the players on the giants if I never see them play. With kids and running around when 10pm comes I'm not turning in to worry about a baseball game. Why do you think MLB moved the times of there playoff games up? It was b/c the most populated area in the country isn't up at 12 am watching baseball. I can barely make it up for Lakers games b/c they come on so late. But the Lakers get coverage b/c they are the most famous and popular basketball team in the world and they are good and they are winners. Just like USC was getting coverage b/c they were winning. Now that they aren't Oregon is getting that coverage. We give a s**t about good teams. Niners, Chargers, Raiders, Warriors, Clippers, UCLA, CAL over the last decade have either stunk or under achieved almost every year(i have no clue about hockey). And you think they gonna get national coverage? When UCLA and Arizona had great basketball programs they got a lot of coverage like every other college team. Now that both programs have fallen off, so has there coverage. Name me an east coast team that is constantly covered in the national media and they aren't any good? If there is one it's b/c they are a disaster or have a controversy going on. Minnesota and Dallas get the majority of NFL coverage and they aren't on the east coast. Lakers are the most covered basketball team they aren't on the east coast. Of course the Yanks and Red Sox dominate baseball but they have both been great teams for the last decade. Nobody talks about the Wizards, Knicks, Nets, Panthers, and Nationals b/c they are terrible. Thus nobody cares. There isn't even a good college football team on the east coast. Are you telling me they forcing UCONN football down your throat? I'm sure there is some bias involved coming from certain people and certain networks pertaining to a certain situations. But what was said is true it isn't a bias we just don't care about either team. What you might see as east coast bias these directors and producers of tv shows are seeing money, ratings and advertising. I'm sure it isn't fair but you have to say that there aren't a lot of great west coast sports teams right now that garner the national attention. Trust nobody is setting around saying oh they on the west coast ok we not gonna watch them b/c of that. Good sports entertainment is good sports entertainment no matter where it is.

Of course, it's a factor, but you are kidding me if you think the bias is inconsequential. If all east coasters cared about good teams then why was the NLCS game 3 moved to 1:00 out here? No one gives a s**t about the giants even if it is their home game. As long as east coasters get to see their hyped up teams, that's all that matters. Who cares if the giants fans don't get to see their GOOD team?

Again, none of us out here can capture a little bond with those teams out there. Know why? It's because all of those games are played while we're all at work or school. So while you complain that you have to go to sleep, it isn't much different out here. Still, that doesn't stop the coverage of those teams flooding our networks out here. It doesn't matter if the AL/NL East, NFC/AFC East sucks, or what have you, but you damn better be sure we'll know about every single detail revolving them. Can't say the same thing even if the west coast teams are good. The NL West was the most competitive division in the MLB this year, but how much national coverage did it really get in comparison to say the meaningless battle for first in the AL East?

I understand your points, but it is not about the quality of play or time. Eastcoasters don't give a s**t about teams outside of LA, and that is the truth. Don''t believe me? Ask yourself without thinking about the quality of the teams: What would you rather see? Dodgers vs. Rangers, or Giants vs. Rangers. 'nuff said.
[ Edited by blunt_probe on Oct 26, 2010 at 1:04 PM ]
Originally posted by dobo:
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Only to advertisers. Not sure why fans give a s**t about a guy saying the ratings will be low.

Cuz they might cancel the World Series if the ratings are too low. Duh.

In real life: People want to make believe they're part of something bigger than it really is.

Also in real life: I probably won't watch a single game in the series.
A) Who cares?

2) He's right, and you shouldn't care.

Whenever sports-talk guys say the ratings will be low, people tend to take it as an insult to their fan base. "How dare you! We got tons of fans!" You don't, though, compared to Yankees, Red Sox, etc. Stop whining and just watch the games. Who cares how many people are watching with you.

Easy sass pants. I'm going to assume that you were the one who edited my OP judging by the overtones of yours.

Under that assumption, I'm going to go ahead and talk to you as if you know what I'm referring to so I don't have to re-write the 70% of my OP that was deleted.

If ESPN wants to shift gears into basketball season (which Wilbon said out right) because they have no broadcasting rights for the MLB post season, then fine. They have absolutely no right to slight a World Series match-up just because it's in the west coast theatre and they don't have to deal with the public's opinion. If I were Bud Selig I'd be furious with ESPN. Where was this stance last year when it was all east coast?

Their job is to promote their coverage and report the news. Not get into pissing contests with the networks that DO have WS coverage under the big bold headline "NOT A MARQUEE MATCH-UP?". That question mark at the end was laughable; as if it's disguising ESPN's obvious position. The World Series is for everybody, not just the teams in their target demographic and should be reported and promoted equally. These teams are great stories and deserve a lot better than ESPN's tepid and narrow sighted view portrays. Just for the record, I'm a fan of neither franchise; just a baseball fan.

Anyway, if you don't like what I have to say then call me out on it, delete the entire post, ban me, whatever, but don't edit 1 of my posts ever again.
Originally posted by dobo:

Cuz they might cancel the World Series if the ratings are too low. Duh.

In real life: People want to make believe they're part of something bigger than it really is.

Also in real life: I probably won't watch a single game in the series.

in real life me and you are gonna throw blows behind the school
A) Who cares?

Whenever sports-talk guys say the ratings will be low, people tend to take it as an insult to their fan base. "How dare you! We got tons of fans!" You don't, though, compared to Yankees, Red Sox, etc. Stop whining and just watch the games. Who cares how many people are watching with you.

Easy sass pants. I'm going to assume that you were the one who edited my OP judging by the overtones of yours.

Under that assumption, I'm going to go ahead and talk to you as if you know what I'm referring to so I don't have to re-write the 70% of my OP that was deleted.

If ESPN wants to shift gears into basketball season (which Wilbon said out right) because they have no broadcasting rights for the MLB post season, then fine. They have absolutely no right to slight a World Series match-up just because it's in the west coast theatre and they don't have to deal with the public's opinion. If I were Bud Selig I'd be furious with ESPN. Where was this stance last year when it was all east coast?

Their job is to promote their coverage and report the news. Not get into pissing contests with the networks that DO have WS coverage under the big bold headline "NOT A MARQUEE MATCH-UP?". That question mark at the end was laughable; as if it's disguising ESPN's obvious position. The World Series is for everybody, not just the teams in their target demographic and should be reported and promoted equally. These teams are great stories and deserve a lot better than ESPN's tepid and narrow sighted view portrays. Just for the record, I'm a fan of neither franchise; just a baseball fan.

Anyway, if you don't like what I have to say then call me out on it, delete the entire post, ban me, whatever, but don't edit 1 of my posts ever again.

Didn't edit it. Stop assuming.

Their job is to get ratings, not report fair and balanced sports news. Your job is to be passionate and overreact to a perceived slight. I'm sure the stories are great, but more people care about other stories, and that's how it goes. Life isn't fair.
A) Who cares?

Their job is to get ratings, not report fair and balanced sports news. Your job is to be passionate and overreact to a perceived slight. I'm sure the stories are great, but more people care about other stories, and that's how it goes. Life isn't fair.

Ok, sorry about the accusation. My bad...

You're right, it isn't fair; and that's the point.
A) Who cares?

So stop going to them for your sports. You don't have to.
A) Who cares?

So stop going to them for your sports. You don't have to.

...And let them run rough shot. No goddamn way. Just because I don't like something, doesn't mean I should pretend it's not happening.

can you imagine if it had been the Rays vs Padres??

that would have been horrible lol
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
What he said is correct. It's a terrible world series for the ratings. I frankly see nothing wrong with what he said. And further what he said is 100% true.

It's completely true and Giants and Ranger fan should not care less about the other 2/3 of the country . . . I know I don't.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Why does anyone care what the media or people in other parts of the country think? It's not like the games will be blacked out or there won't be a parade for the winner. I never understand why people even discuss ratings unless they work for Fox or whoever.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Why does anyone care what the media or people in other parts of the country think? It's not like the games will be blacked out or there won't be a parade for the winner. I never understand why people even discuss ratings unless they work for Fox or whoever.

Yup.
Originally posted by TX9R:

Because they aren't getting respect, man!
Share 49ersWebzone