LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

***2024 NHL Regular Season Thread***

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Jrg- Tell me about Adam Cracknell. I like his size, and remember him in our matchups in the post season, but i dont follow the Blues enough to know much about him.

Perfect for you guys. Not the best scorer, but he is one of those guys you don't want to play against. Just big and physical and will wear you down. With the Blues, he was on a line they called the "CPR line" (Cracknell, Porter, Reaves)...all 3 just big physical guys that will just grind. Overall he is nothing more than a 4th line player though.
Rotoworld-

"Claude Giroux was reportedly arrested Tuesday night after repeatedly grabbing a male officer's buttocks.

It's believed that alcohol was a factor. Giroux reportedly spent the night in a cell, but hasn't been criminally charged. Police said they can't comment unless there are charges laid."

[ Edited by Niners99 on Jul 2, 2014 at 1:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
Rotoworld-

"Claude Giroux was reportedly arrested Tuesday night after repeating grabbing a male officer's buttocks.

It's believed that alcohol was a factor. Giroux reportedly spent the night in a cell, but hasn't been criminally charged. Police said they can't comment unless there are charges laid."

and the flyers organization wonders why he was left off of team canada.
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Jrg- Tell me about Adam Cracknell. I like his size, and remember him in our matchups in the post season, but i dont follow the Blues enough to know much about him.

Perfect for you guys. Not the best scorer, but he is one of those guys you don't want to play against. Just big and physical and will wear you down. With the Blues, he was on a line they called the "CPR line" (Cracknell, Porter, Reaves)...all 3 just big physical guys that will just grind. Overall he is nothing more than a 4th line player though.

Sounds like he will help our 4th line. Thats all we need out of him. Thanks.
Stars re-sign Fiddler!!! A great signing as he showed up for playoffs for us, and is useful on PK.

Geeze, our forwards are deep (yeah yeah I know you non-Stars fans might laugh at it, but its true).

First Line: Benn-Seguin-Nichuschkin - Seriosuly one of the top lines in the NHL LAST year when Nich was just an 18 year old kid. This kid will be a stud and when he is this line will be a top 3 line in the NHL. Don't believe me? Only Anaheim had a better 1-2 combo on a line in terms of points last year. Oh did I mention all 3 are under 25 years old? lol

Second Line: Sceviour - Spezza- Hesmky - Spezza and Hemsky lit it up with Ottawa in the last 20 games as Ottawa's #1 line last season. Sceviour is the weak link, a steady 2-way player. I expect the LW position to be jumbled around to find a great fit, such as maybe the young 6-3 prospect Brett Ritchie.

Third Line: Rousel - Eakin - Garbutt - People don't realize how awesome this is as a 3rd line. As a scoring threat, no this line won't be great. As a grit, sandpapre, work ethic, shut down line. They gave Anaheim hell in playoffs and showed their potential.

Fourth Line: Horcoff - Fiddler - Cole - Horcoff/Fiddler showed some great chemistry in playoffs. Cole is at risk of being cut/bought out. He made a critical mistake in playoffs with a turnover and was scratched the next game. Not sure if Lindy Ruff will forget that.

Wildcard: Peverley played awesome for the Stars before his heart condition, I don't know if he will come back. Jason Dickinson and Faksa are both 1st round picks that may need another year in minors before making the jump to the NHL. Scott Glennie, a former 1st rounder, is probably ready to play as a bottom 6 forward in the NHL. But most likely depth guy to make an impact is probably Brett Ritchie, a 2nd round pick, that is a sniper with plenty of size at 6-3
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Stars were a pain in the ass for the Blues last year and it looks like that may continue.
Originally posted by jrg:
Stars were a pain in the ass for the Blues last year and it looks like that may continue.

The team is really coming together. We are lacking on defense right now though. Really our hope is Patrick Nemeth, a 6-4 defenseman that looked AWESOME in playoffs against Anaheim. Personally I love the kid, if I was going to buy a jersey it would probably be a Nemeth jersey. I'm that stoked about his future.

Lehtonen is legit as a goalie, not the best but plenty good. Forwards are pretty set now. So we just need D.

When knocked out of playoffs, Nemeth was sent to minors for their playoffs. Here is his goal

Dallas is definitely having one of the best offseasons. Snagging a top center for the second year in a row? Nill is writing the manual on rebuilds down there. The Hemsky acquisition may be highly underrated, too.

The Avs are the ones in the West I question at this point. Briere for Parenteau and a pick? 37 year old Iginla in that system? I guess they felt the need to get more physical since they brought in Stuart as well, but I will be curious to see how next year plays out for them.
Originally posted by Overkill:
Dallas is definitely having one of the best offseasons. Snagging a top center for the second year in a row? Nill is writing the manual on rebuilds down there. The Hemsky acquisition may be highly underrated, too.

The Avs are the ones in the West I question at this point. Briere for Parenteau and a pick? 37 year old Iginla in that system? I guess they felt the need to get more physical since they brought in Stuart as well, but I will be curious to see how next year plays out for them.

They appear to think their youth is a major problem, so they added a bunch of real old vets?
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
They appear to think their youth is a major problem, so they added a bunch of real old vets?

Yep, they are obviously looking to add some leadership ("veteran presence", whatever). Iginla on the Avs is like the Broncos adding an old school fullback, though.

New ESPN power rankings because......its the off season

http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings

For the West, based on rosters now, I'd project final Western regular season standings to be:

1. Chicago - adding a 2nd line Center is huge for them

2. Anahiem - Speaking of huge 2nd line Center adds....

3. San Jose - They are getting no love for lousy FA additions, but still 2 great scoring lines

4. Los Angeles - Probably another slow Stanley Cup hangover early on, and then tear it up late

5. St. Louis - Another West Coast team adds a solid 2nd line center, I'd be worried about the goaltending though

6. Dallas - hmm seeing a trend of 2nd line Center adds in the West Coast. Defense is still shaky though

7. Colorado - Varlamov made the young team look better then they were, I don't think Varlamov will be as good this year

8. Vancouver - Yeah yeah, they are "rebuilding." They landed an excellent coach, Nick Bonino is a solid play, and Ryan Miller is still excellent in net. Minnesota and Nashville have better teams, but Vancouver plays in the easier division with gimme games against Calgary and Edmonton. The Central Division is the toughest in the NHL so I think 4 teams from Pacific will make it this year.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jul 8, 2014 at 10:33 AM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Quote me on this: "Jake Allen is the real deal"

I'm as excited about him as I was Ben Bishop before.
2015 NHL Draft Scouting List

North Americans: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=725587

International: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=725587

Why am I posting about this right now? Because the 2015 draft is considered the best draft class since 2003 (that class had 16 all stars in the 1st round, and 5 in the 2nd).

Leading the way is also 2 AWESOME players. Canadian C Connor McDavid is considered the front runner. He is considered the best prospect since Crosby. Competing for the #1 overall pick is American C Jack Eichel. Scouts are calling Eichel the best American prospect since Mike Modano.

For those curious about greatest American prospects, Mike Modano is considered the best American prospect ever, followed by Brian Lawton (bust), Pat Lafontaine (amazing player ruined by injuries, some still consider him the best American ever), and Patrick Kane. So if Eichel is the real deal, its huge for American hockey.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Haha Modano. I remember playing old school video games with him and the Stars. Pretty much every time he shot he scored.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
670 The Score ‏@670TheScore

#Blackhawks announce they've agreed to 8-year extensions with Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews. They'll be in Chicago through '22-'23
Share 49ersWebzone