LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 198 users in the forums

***2024 NHL Regular Season Thread***

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Stars are 4-0 .

Our top 2 forwards lines are great as expected. Neal seems to have put on some more muscle. And Lehtonen looks like the real deal, its impressive how well he moves for such a big guy.

But we are getting outshot like crazy, that kind of worries me. I think part of it is we don't shoot the puck that much as a team, we rely pretty heavily on Richards/Ribiero carrying the puck and setting up a play rather then just firing the puck.

Originally posted by jrg:
Stars are 4-0 .

Our top 2 forwards lines are great as expected. Neal seems to have put on some more muscle. And Lehtonen looks like the real deal, its impressive how well he moves for such a big guy.

But we are getting outshot like crazy, that kind of worries me. I think part of it is we don't shoot the puck that much as a team, we rely pretty heavily on Richards/Ribiero carrying the puck and setting up a play rather then just firing the puck.

Yeah man Lehtonen has been awesome in net, you can see that this team, especially the defense, is gaining more and more confidence each game. We're are still getting outshot like crazy, but our offense is making the most of its oppurtunites. There's still a lot of hockey to be played, but I have been impressed with this team's efforts so far. I really believe that if this was the same team as last season we would probably have a 1-2-1 record instead of 4-0-0.

Bring on the Lightning, we goin' for 5 tonight!

And did you catch that win against the Blues?!? Awesome win!
Originally posted by eamjr10:
Originally posted by jrg:
Stars are 4-0 .

Yeah man Lehtonen has been awesome in net, you can see that this team, especially the defense, is gaining more and more confidence each game. We're are still getting outshot like crazy, but our offense is making the most of its oppurtunites. There's still a lot of hockey to be played, but I have been impressed with this team's efforts so far. I really believe that if this was the same team as last season we would probably have a 1-2-1 record instead of 4-0-0.

Bring on the Lightning, we goin' for 5 tonight!

And did you catch that win against the Blues?!? Awesome win!

Yeah it was a good win, thanks to Lehtonen and our top line.

But our team has serious problems. Every single game we are getting outshot 2-to-1. And our PK? WTF? Coughed up 4 PP against TB? i think its more of a coaching problem then a skill problem....
The first loss is always tough, the Stars were just simply outplayed last night. To say that the penalty kill was bad would be a huge understatement, they have to get better on the kill, it is horrible, they allow a ton of shots and are out of position the entire time and they can't win any battles in order to clear the puck. I think they have killed 5 penalties out of their last 15 chances or something crazy like that.

The power play was bad as well, they couldn't get any pressure put on the lightning and they were very sloppy. As far as the shots on goal goes, it's worse than I actually thought it would be, I knew we would give up a lot of chances, but were not getting any shots on the net, when your outshot 35-9 through 2 periods you're probably not going to win. After the Burish goal the Lightning rattled off 14 consecutive shots to our 0.

Now the heart and effort is there and that is something worth noting, that is stuff you can't work on in practice or meetings. I love how these guys go out and refuse to quit, a lot different than last season. Lehtonen has been great, but he can't stop 40+ shots a night, the defense has to help him out.

Overall, a lot of things to work on, but they can be corrected, it is still early. Looking forward to seeing how they respond, and 4-1 isn't too bad.
Week 3 NHL Power Rankings:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings

Stars are #5 for now...
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Go Sharks!
GO CANES!
Originally posted by GoNiners:
GO CANES!

Dam the Wild are opening up a can on the Canucks, 5-1 with a little over 6 minutes left in the 2nd.

LOL Canucks' Rypien grabs a fan as he left the ice, what a b***h move, all the fan was doing was clapping, he should be getting a call from the NHL Brass later.....

[ Edited by eamjr10 on Oct 19, 2010 at 19:32:18 ]
Dam the Wild are opening up a can on the Canucks, 5-1 with a little over 6 minutes left in the 2nd.

LOL Canucks' Rypien grabs a fan as he left the ice, what a b***h move, all the fan was doing was clapping, he should be getting a call from the NHL Brass later.....

...and then Cullen blasts one past Luongu right after that incident 6-1 Wild, that was awesome!

Dallas Stars (4-1-0) @ Florida Panthers (2-2)

Goals For Average:
Dallas 3.60 (1st in NHL)
Florida 3.00 (12th)

Goals Against:
Dallas 3.00 (22nd)
Florida 1.25 (1st)

Shots Per Game:
Dallas 21.8 (30th)
Florida 31.5 (11th)

Shots Against:
Dallas 38.0 (29th)
Florida 26.0 (4th)

Power Play
Dallas 10% 2 for 20 (22nd)
Florida 6.7% 1 for 15 (27th)

Penalty Kill
Dallas 60% 10 for 25 (30th)
Florida 100% 8 for 8 (1st)

Going to be a tough test on the road, LET'S GO STARS!!!
Dallas Stars (4-1-0) @ Florida Panthers (2-2)

Goals For Average:
Dallas 3.60 (1st in NHL)
Florida 3.00 (12th)

Goals Against:
Dallas 3.00 (22nd)
Florida 1.25 (1st)

Shots Per Game:
Dallas 21.8 (30th)
Florida 31.5 (11th)

Shots Against:
Dallas 38.0 (29th)
Florida 26.0 (4th)

Power Play
Dallas 10% 2 for 20 (22nd)
Florida 6.7% 1 for 15 (27th)

Penalty Kill
Dallas 60% 10 for 25 (30th)
Florida 100% 8 for 8 (1st)

Going to be a tough test on the road, LET'S GO STARS!!!

Missed the game But looks like Wandell and Lehtonen had a great game. I hope they rest Lehtonen against Nashville so we can play him for our divisional games. And I'm a little worried about him playing too many games with his injury history, need to give his back some rest.
The Stars really stepped up and had a nice bounce back win against Florida. They outshot the Panthers 29-28, went 3-3 on the PK, Wandell was killer scoring 2 late goals one in the final seconds of the 1st period, and the other in the closing seconds in the 2nd. Jamie Benn was a beast last night, he recorded 3 assists, but also made some great defensive plays in the nuetral zone and also made some nice offensive plays to set up teammates. Lehtonen, once again was really confident, and had command the entire game. James Neal also extended his goal scoring streak to 4 games.

It was a much better effort than Tuesday's game, and they really looked good out there. Looking forward to Nashville as well this weekend.

PACIFIC DIVISION STANDINGS:
Dallas 5-1-0 10 P
Los Angeles 4-2-0 8 P
Anaheim 3-4-1 7 P
San Jose 2-2-1 5 P
Phoenix 2-2-1 5 P

GO STARS!!!
Tough loss for Dallas against Nashville, thought they really played better than the Preds, just couldn't capitalize on scoring chances, and Rinne was great in net. The Stars killed off 2 penalties which takes the PK to 5/5 the last two games, however the PP is looking horrible so far this season, just 2 for 25! Lehtonen was solid in net, and the effort was there for Dallas.

Looking forward to seeing our first Divisonal rival this season, when Anaheim comes to Dallas tomorrow night!
GO STARS!! Beat the Ducks!

Share 49ersWebzone