LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 294 users in the forums

***2024 NHL Regular Season Thread***

Originally posted by jrg:
w/ this new All-Star game stuff

This game's almost as big a piece of crap as the NFL All Pro game. Not a lot of guys really want to play in it, it's just not hockey in it's most entertaining form, and for the most part the TV audience is disinterested. Who could blame them?

If they want to make it good again, they have to make it worth something to the players and the fans, similar to what baseball has done with their game. I'm not sure how they would go about it, or if it would really even matter to the players. The hockey season is entirely too long as it is and there just isn't a good time to ever play this game as a full contact sport IMHO.

I think they should just do away with the game itself and just go with the skills competition. Maybe couple the AHL skills competition with the NHL's and make it a 2 day event. If they want to have a game, maybe they could bring in junior league all stars or something. They need players who actually give a sh*t about the game (and their game bonus) enough to play it the right way, cuz the big leaguers sure as hell don't; nor should they.

If I had it my way, I'd make it into a celebration of hockey at every level instead of just focusing on the pro's. I think that would be more entertaining and beneficial for everybody involved. Putting on a proper showcase of hockey (like this one could be), would definitely help grow the game in the US. If hockey could wrestle even 1% of the talent pool away from football, baseball and basketball, that seemingly small influx of talent would surely help solidify hockeys future in some of the southern markets that aren't doing so well.
[ Edited by NatralBrnThrila on Jan 13, 2011 at 8:58 AM ]
All Star games in general are pretty lame, doesn't matter the sport. I do like the fact that the NHL is at least trying to do something a little unique and see what happens. I think it will be interesting to check out, but in the end it's just an All Star game.
Another solid win for the Stars, 6-0-1 in 2011!

And Fu## the Kings
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Oshie is finally back tonight!

Blues lead the Kings 1-0
  • jrg
  • Veteran

That was a nice save
HILARIOUS moment from the Stars vs. Oilers game last saturday, Gagner is terrified of OTTIMUS PRIME!!!

Ok so last night was the NHL's first ever Fantasy Hockey Draft to determine the rosters of the All Star Game which will be played Sunday night in Raleigh, N.C. I watched the draft and I have to say it was enjoyable, I do like that the NHL is at least trying to do something new with their All Star Game, and this was a good idea. I like the fact that there is a complete mixup of players from various teams and even conferences. So teammates like Daniel and Henrik Sedin will be playing against each other.

Here are how the rosters look:

TEAM LIDSTROM
FORWARDS

(A) Patrick Kane- Chicago Blackhawks
(A) Martin St. Louis- Tampa Bay Lightning
Steven Stamkos- Tampa Bay Lightning
Henrik Sedin- Vancouver Canucks
Danny Briere- Philadelphia Flyers
Jonathon Toews- Chicago Blackhawks
Brad Richards- Dallas Stars
Martin Havlat- Minnesota Wild
Anze Kopitar- Los Angeles Kings
Matt Duchene- Colorado Avalanche
Loui Eriksson- Dallas Stars
Phil Kessel- Toronto Maple Leafs

DEFENSEMEN

(C) Nicklas Lidstrom- Detroit Red Wings
Duncan Keith- Chicago Blackhawks
Shea Weber- Nashville Predators
Dustin Byfuglein- Atlanta Thrashers
Keith Yandle - Phoenix Coyotes
Brent Burns- Minnesota Wild

GOALIES

Tim Thomas- Boston Bruins
Marc Andre-Fluery- Pittsburgh Penguins
Jonah Hiller- Anaheim Ducks

LIDSTROM ROOKIES

Evgeny Dadonov- Florida, OLIVER EKMAN-LARSSON- Phoenix, Cam Fowler- Anaheim, Taylor Hall- Edmonton, Kevin Shattenkirk- Colorado, Derek Stepan- New York Rangers

TEAM STAAL
FORWARDS

(C) Eric Staal- Carolina Hurricanes
Ryan Kesler- Vancouver Canucks
Alexander Ovechkin- Washington Capitals
Daniel Sedin- Vancouver Canucks
Rick Nash- Columbus Blue Jackets
Patrick Sharp- Chicago Blackhawks
*Jeff Skinner- Carolina Hurricanes
Claude Giroux- Philadelphia Flyers
Corey Perry- Anaheim Ducks
Patrick Elias- New Jersey Devils
David Backes- St. Louis Blues
Paul Stastny- Colorado Avalance

DEFENSEMEN
(A) Mike Green- Washington Capitals
Zdeno Chara- Boston Bruins
Marc Staal- New York Rangers
Dan Boyle- San Jose Sharks
Kris Letang- Pittsburgh Penguins
Erik Karlsson- Ottawa Senators

GOALIES
Cam Ward- Carolina Hurricanes
Henrik Lundqvist- New York Rangers
Carey Price- Montreal Canadians

STAAL ROOKIES
Logan Couture- San Jose, Tyler Ennis- Buffalo, Michael Grabner- New York Islanders, Jamie McBain- Carolina, Tyler Seguin- Boston, P.K. Subban- Montreal

GO TEAM LIDSTROM
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Go team Staal!
  • evil
  • Veteran
Go team Ovechkin!

Word.

Go team Staal!

go Team Lidstrom!

[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jan 29, 2011 at 17:47:45 ]
I wish I coulda been there tonight
Entertaining game so far, 5-4 team Staal, early in the 2nd. Eriksson got a nice goal, Stars representin'
Sick game. Almost as enjoyable as last year.
Yea, it was a good game. I thought Eriksson should have gotten MVP though, 2 goals and 2 assists including the Game Winner. Oh well, ready for the last stretch of the regular season.
Share 49ersWebzone