LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

2023-24 Orlando Magic Thread

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
They traded Oladipo?

Victor Oladipo, Ersan Ilyasova, and our 1st round pick Domantas Sabonis to Thunder

Serge Ibaka to Magic
Originally posted by jrg:
They traded Oladipo?

Victor Oladipo, Ersan Ilyasova, and our 1st round pick Domantas Sabonis to Thunder

Serge Ibaka to Magic

Interesting. I guess Oladipo's value was lower than expected.
wow, from the outside it looks like the Thunder owned the Magic with this trade.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
wow, from the outside it looks like the Thunder owned the Magic with this trade.

We'll see. I'm not a fan of it personally, but that is just because Oladipo was my favorite player on the team. Reading some Magic forums and I've seen quite a few not too upset with the move because its started to seem like we've saw what were gonna get out of Oladipo. Who knows. He is still super young.

Hopefully the Magic add a few pieces in FA. Looking at top FA guards like Conley and DeRozan has me dreaming, but we'll see.
Ibaka is only 26? Wow I might actually like this trade now.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Orlando has addressed its biggest need: rim protection. Ibaka the perfect big man to play next to Nikola Vucevic because of his versatility on defense, shot-blocking and 3-point shooting. If Vucevic is eventually traded, then Ibaka still fits just fine as a center next to Aaron Gordon at power forward. The catch here is that the Magic need to convince Ibaka to stick around long-term, and they need to be willing to offer him major money.

Orlando general manager Rob Hennigan was in a bit of a bind with Oladipo, and it's not really Oladipo's fault. He did not fit in particularly well with guard Elfrid Payton because of Payton's inability to shoot from long range. Beyond that, the Magic have two other wing players who appear to be part of their core: Evan Fournier and Mario Hezonja. They chose to clear up that logjam and acquire a player who is entering his prime and solves a lot of their problems.

The issue here is that Orlando surrendered a ton of talent, and this comes just a few months after it traded away the productive and promising Tobias Harris to the Detroit Pistons for Ilyasova and Brandon Jennings, who will be a free agent in July. The Magic have had a ton of assets at their disposal throughout their multi-year rebuild, but they have not always had a coherent plan.

This trade makes it clear that Hennigan wants to get Orlando back in the playoffs as soon as possible. Ibaka is a terrific player who will help that happen, but this is quite a price to pay.

Grade: B

link
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Lol the magic never make f**king sense
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
Lol the magic never make f**king sense

lulz offseason just started
  • jrg
  • Veteran
C - Stephen Zimmerman

The only way I see this trade as a positive is that Hennigan is aiming to get a big name in FA.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
The only way I see this trade as a positive is that Hennigan is aiming to get a big name in FA.

Agreed. If Mike Conley, Demar DeRozan, etc ends up in a Magic uniform, I'll forgive this.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
I don't mind the trade. Do I think they gave up a little too much? Yes. We should've kept the 11th pick. At the same time, VO is super inconsistent at the offensive end. Plus it clears the log jam we had at the 2. Evan Fournier and Super Mario should play a bigger role. I definitely don't see them going after Derozan. At least i hope not. Biggest chucker in the league imo. I'd like some more depth at the 3.

Does this mean Gordon will be playing a little more SF? We shall see. Still excited about the young talent and I know they will add at least one solid free agent. Can't forget about Vogel as well. The last legit coach we had was SVG.

Go Magic!
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dino:
I don't mind the trade. Do I think they gave up a little too much? Yes. We should've kept the 11th pick. At the same time, VO is super inconsistent at the offensive end. Plus it clears the log jam we had at the 2. Evan Fournier and Super Mario should play a bigger role. I definitely don't see them going after Derozan. At least i hope not. Biggest chucker in the league imo. I'd like some more depth at the 3.

Does this mean Gordon will be playing a little more SF? We shall see. Still excited about the young talent and I know they will add at least one solid free agent. Can't forget about Vogel as well. The last legit coach we had was SVG.

Go Magic!

But yeah, I agree. I think Gordon will get real starters minutes at the 3. Hopefully Fournier is brought back to play the 2 and Hezonja can fill in at both SG and SF. I think the main thing most are upset about regarding the trade is the fact that Domantas Sabonis was included.

We'll see. I've been saying this the last couple seasons, but I'm excited for next season. Vogel is a huge plus and as you said, moving Oladipo helps clear up the logjam the team had with trying to get everyone minutes. We'll start to see our starters all get real starter minutes going forward. At least I hope. Who knows. Hopefully Vogel doesn't have retarded rotations like Skiles did.
Originally posted by jrg:

Agreed. If Mike Conley, Demar DeRozan, etc ends up in a Magic uniform, I'll forgive this.

I think if Conley signs with you guys then Demar would be enticed to follow suit. I can't see DeRozan wanting to share a back court primarily with Payton though. It would be too much of a downgrade from playing alongside Lowry. That being said I think Demar stays in Toronto and Conley signs with the Hawks.
Share 49ersWebzone