LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 165 users in the forums

2023-24 Orlando Magic Thread

• jrg
  • Veteran
Playbook: The Orlando Magic’s 4-Out/1-In Offensive Scheme

The 4-out/1-in offensive scheme.

For three years and counting, head coach Stan Van Gundy has used an alignment (which features Dwight Howard in the post surrounded by four shooters on the perimeter) on offense that has vaulted the Orlando Magic to the elite in the NBA.

The system works, as best exemplified by a regular season winning percentage of .691 (170-76), a trip to the NBA Finals in 2009, three consecutive Southeast Division championships, back-to-back Eastern Conference Finals appearances (one conference title), and more.

Yes, the Magic are still in pursuit of the Larry O’Brien Trophy and the 4-out/1-in schemes have come under fire after the Boston Celtics shut them down in the 2010 NBA Eastern Conference Finals but it is what it is. The playoffs are about matchups and things can go either way. For example, even though the Miami Heat have the potential to be a very good team this season, their personnel might be vulnerable to Orlando’s philosophy on offense. It happens.

Some people may be asking, what does the 4-out/1-in scheme look like?

There’s an answer to that question.

When the Magic run 4-out/1-in offensive sets, there’s not a lot of rocket science involved. An entry pass is made to Howard in the post, then he goes to work and either puts up a shot or kicks the basketball out to the perimeter. Depending on how the defense reacts, Howard can get the ball back or it could be swung around the horn to an open shooter (if he’s double-teamed). It’s that simple. One of the key things to note is that Orlando’s spacing on offense is always excellent.

There’s many variations of the play, but let’s take a look at a few examples.

Example 1:

Vince Carter makes an entry pass to Howard on the low block, while Josh Smith and Al Horford decide to double-team him. Defensively, the Atlanta Hawks are doomed at this point. Matt Barnes cuts to the basket and even though he doesn’t receive the basketball, there are many instances when he does get it for either a layup or a kick out to the perimeter. Because the Hawks make the decision to send an extra defender on Howard, the Magic have many ways to score.

Another thing to notice is that Jameer Nelson and Rashard Lewis are wide open.

Example 2:

Sometimes when the pass is made to Howard in the post, the player that initiates the play makes a diagonal cut into the lane and goes to the opposite side of the floor as the other players for Orlando shift their spots along the perimeter to maintain spacing and force the defense to react accordingly.

Once in a while, the defender that trails Nelson on this play ends up cheating on the play and tries doubling the big fella. When that happens, some quick passes can net an open shot for Nelson or whoever else it might be. More often than not, at least.

Example 3:

Same as Example 1, but notice the interchangeability of the personnel.

Example 4:

As has been stated before, the Magic value their spacing and this play is just another example of that. The beauty of the possession is the movement off the ball by Barnes and Lewis. Barnes cuts to the basket and spots up in the corner, as Lewis shifts to the spot that’s vacated. Then Lewis cuts to the basket, too. While all that’s happening, Howard kicks the basketball out to the perimeter and things get chaotic for the Hawks on defense as they try to make sense of the situation.

That sequence shows when Orlando is at their best — quick passes, off-ball movement, etc.

Example 5:

Same as Examples 1 and 3, however Mickael Pietrus stays on the perimeter.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Alot of information over the last few pages, but I'm starting to enjoy learning more of the Magic's playbook..and general NBA play calling.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

[ Edited by jrg on Oct 14, 2010 at 14:34:39 ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran

It didn’t take long for the Orlando Magic to show that they are very concentrated and determined to overcome last season’s postseason defeat in the conference finals against the Boston Celtics.

In the first week of the preseason, the Magic won by a combined 70 points against their three opponents.

By and large, the Magic looked sharp, in rhythm and poised.

Dwight Howard recorded three consecutive double-doubles, Vince Carter averaged 16.3 points and Rashard Lewis shot 7-of-10 from 3-point distance in the three victories combined.

They will try and sustain that pattern this week and it starts with a home contest against the Charlotte Bobcats on Thursday at 7 p.m.

Swept by the Magic in the First Round of the playoffs last season, the Bobcats are hoping to build on a campaign that resulted in their first postseason berth in franchise history.

They return most of their core, including sharpshooter Stephen Jackson and the always-multidimensional Gerald Wallace. Charlotte, however, did lose Raymond Felton (signed with the Knicks) and Tyson Chandler (traded to the Mavericks) in the offseason.

In their playoff series, Jameer Nelson averaged 23.8 points while shooting 48 percent from the field and 43 percent from 3-point range. Most importantly, though, Nelson committed just five turnovers throughout the series against the No. 1 ranked defense in the regular season.

Unlike the first three preseason games when the Magic played adversaries outside of the division, this one has a little more substance since they will clash with the Bobcats four times during the regular season.

Many NBA analysts and spectators believe the Southeast Division will be the most competitive, high-quality division in the entire NBA. The Magic are the reigning three-time division champs, while the Heat are obviously championship contenders, the Hawks remain an Eastern Conference elite team and the Wizards and Bobcats continue to improve.
Good win over Charlotte by the 'B' team.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
DOMINATION.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Bulls - 67

Magic - 105

FINAL
Originally posted by jrg:

I can't believe that not only do 2 players on the Magic make more money than Dwight, but some of the numbers those backups make, too. Holy sheep s**t.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

I can't believe that not only do 2 players on the Magic make more money than Dwight, but some of the numbers those backups make, too. Holy sheep s**t.

A very deep team.

A very deep team.

Where's that depth gotten them, though?

• jrg
  • Veteran

A very deep team.

Where's that depth gotten them, though?

Nowhere, the season hasn't started yet...duh.

Lol
  • jrg
  • Veteran
I think I'd take our backups over a few teams starting rosters...

PG - Duhon
SG - Redick
SF - Pietrus
PF - Anderson
C - Gortat

PG - Duhon
SG - Redick
SF - Pietrus
PF - Anderson
C - Gortat

Yeah, you would. Not many others would, though. That team would be atrocious.

[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Oct 16, 2010 at 18:46:45 ]

PG - Duhon
SG - Redick
SF - Pietrus
PF - Anderson
C - Gortat

• jrg
  • Veteran

PG - Duhon
SG - Redick
SF - Pietrus
PF - Anderson
C - Gortat

Small, but the talent is there.
Share 49ersWebzone