LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Pacquiao vs. Margarito - November 13, 2010 / Cowboys Stadium

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
God help me for asking this, but why is Mayweather the one that's considered to be ducking when the only condition that's being asked of Manny (that I'm aware of) is that he take an Olympic style drug test?
like Manny and think Mayweather's a douche, but I don't understand this. Maybe there's some part of this that I'm either missing or not aware about.

Because it's not needed.

Mayweather knows that Pacquiao is not going to agree to it and so Mayweather is using the "Drug Test" as a reason that Pacquaio doesn't want to fight him.

Mayweather didn't ask for a Drug Test on his previous fights, so why is he asking for one from Pacquiao? They both get tested prior the bout and right after anyway...

Maybe it's not needed, but it's also not a big deal. If Manny's legit, all he has to do is get some blood drawn and then Mayweather has no choice but to fight him. It seems like Pacquiao is the one that's dodging Mayweather, not the other way around.

And like I said...I like Manny and would be rooting for him to beat Mayweather's ass. I get the feeling that if the roles were reversed, the Pacquiao fans would be all over Mayweather for not being willing to do this.

This is an extremely weak reason for two all-time greats to not fight in their primes.

I totally agree.

I hear the arguement that Manny is the "draw" here and not Mayweather, and so therefore Manny should be the one to dictate the terms. But I agree with you, that they should just do WHATEVER each other wants to do (that's within reason) prior to the fight and just do it.
God help me for asking this, but why is Mayweather the one that's considered to be ducking when the only condition that's being asked of Manny (that I'm aware of) is that he take an Olympic style drug test?

I like Manny and think Mayweather's a douche, but I don't understand this. Maybe there's some part of this that I'm either missing or not aware about.

yep, I've asked my dad and my friends this question many times.
So.. Pacquiao literally broke Margaritos face..
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=5805223
Manny already agreed to everything, even blood tests. He just didn't want it within 7 days of the fight, which is totally fine. He also said he would allow any test immediately after the fights. This has been the case for a while now, the ball is in Mayweather's court and he's running awaaayyy.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
i don't know much about boxing, but didn't floyd agree to take the same "olympic style test" as manny?
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Manny already agreed to everything, even blood tests. He just didn't want it within 7 days of the fight, which is totally fine. He also said he would allow any test immediately after the fights. This has been the case for a while now, the ball is in Mayweather's court and he's running awaaayyy.

Why is that fine? Seems like an unnecessary condition to me.

i think he said something about it weakening him or something. It really is irrelevant if he is willing to do a test immediately after a fight and more than 7 days before. Any substance would still be in his system.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Manny agreed to Floyd's request, gave him a countdown to his manhood and when he ran out of time he kicked his wifes a$$!
Originally posted by DesiDez:
1) ohh yes 8 division titles in 8 different weight classes is not much of an accomplishment at all, considering all the of the other boxers in history who have done it. yeah

Geez, relax guy, I'm talking about this specific title. All the other titles were well deserved probably. But this one? Come on! Margarito has been s**t at Jr. Middleweight. What makes him a contender for a title shot at that weight? Title shots should be against legitimate opponents at said weight class IMO. Like I said, Manny would probably box the pants off of all the other 154 lb. title holders anyway, but Margo has beat nobody of note at that weight class.

It's obvious there was a movement to get Manny his eighth title. Otherwise, why not just have him defend his welterweight title against Margo? The weightclass where Margo has had plenty of success, and is actually considered a contender.

Quote:
2) ohh yes, Sergio Martinez is the one fighter that will elevate Manny's status. Look at the list of nobodies on Manny's resume: Morales, Barrera, Marquez, De La Hoya, Hatton, Cotto, and Margarito. Yes, Sergio Martinez would be the most accomplished fighter on Manny's resume. Why stop there? Let's get Lucian Bute, and Andre Ward. Hell, let's throw Manny through the Super 6. Maybe Hopkins will fight him too. Hey Vladimir and Vitale, I think you should fight Manny. Yes, let's have a guy who's maxed out his body at 145lbs continue pushing his body because I'm a hater.

But back to Martinez, this guy would be a perfect opponent considering he already lost to Margarito and got a draw versus the P4P king, Kermit Cintron.

Barrera, Morales, cool. Pretty damn legit, good job Pac, though Morales did best him once for whatever that's worth.
Marquez... you could say Pacquiao got a gift there... plenty of people think so.
De La Hoya fooled me, but all things considered, age, fighting at a weight he hasn't had to make in 7 years prior to facing Pac... I think we can agree that wasn't the best version of De La Hoya that Pac went up against. All credit given to Pac though, it was a huge jump in weight and it showed he could hang with a big guy.... but after that everything is too predictable. Let me just get this out of the way now... footwork. The rest of his opponents don't have it.

Hatton, after getting KO'd by Mayweather(not exactly known as a KO artist) and before facing Manny, nearly got put out by the legendary Juan Lazcano, and if it wasn't for some divine intervention, Lazcano should have walked away with a KO victory. By this time the size difference between Ricky and Manny is non-existent, it wasn't a matter of if Manny could KO Ricky, it was a matter of when. Obviously it happened sooner than most of us anticipated.

Cotto may or may not have been softened up by a couple of bricks. Who knows? But the blueprint to beating him was there. Margarito exposed it, and the great offensive superstar Joshua Clottey followed thru with it. The fight was in Clottey's hands, but for god knows what reason, Clottey let up the attack and let Cotto off the hook. Even so, Cotto got the victory thanks to some hometown cooking. Lack of footwork and minimal size advantage told me the Pacquiao/Cotto fight would play out exactly like it did.

Don't need to mention Clottey.

Margarito... well dude is slow as f**k! If you didn't know that then I guess you haven't been following his career. And Manny has the best footwork in the bizz. Let's not act dumb and pretend like we don't know what Manny is capable of. Regardless of Margarito's size, the fight was tailor-made for Manny to showcase his talents. There was a reason the odds were 6:1 in Manny's favor.

Everyone after DLH was cherrypicked. Mosley, a more deserving opponent at the time, begged Pacquiao for a fight, s**t he was willing to fight him for almost free. But instead they picked a smaller, war-torn Cotto. I'm guessing Mosley's iron chin and that bit of power he packs may have had a little something to do with their decision to avoid him. Not to mention Roach himself admitted this.

But back to Martinez, this guy would be a perfect opponent considering he already lost to Margarito 10 YEARS AGO and got a draw versus the P4P king, Kermit Cintron who's only two losses (not counting the Williams debacle) came at welterweight against a top welterweight named Antonio Margarito.

Yeah let's just go ahead and act like Kermit Cintron isn't ranked #2 in the Jr. Middleweight division. Let's pretend he's just some pushover.

Also, while we're at it... let's pretend that Martinez's loss to Margarito didn't occur 2 years after he commenced his boxing career. Let's pretend Margarito wasn't a 6 year vet at that time.

Let's just keep pretending shall we? Let's pretend that Martinez isn't a Top 10 ranked P4P fighter. Because, you know, he must be the same guy Margarito beat a decade ago. Because, you know, he didn't take it the distance a year ago with another Top 10 P4P fighter named Paul Williams in a fight that many thought he deserved to win. Because, you know, he didn't just go up to Middleweight and outbox Kelly Pavlik for the Middleweight title as an undersized fighter.

You're right, Martinez is extremely underqualified, Manny shouldn't even bother... his great footwork poses no challenge to the Pac Man, because the last fighter that Manny faced with decent footwork, one Juan Manuel Marquez, posed no threat at all. Manny wiped the floor with him, he hit him at will and JMM couldn't even touch him. The most lopsided beating Manny Pacquiao has ever dished out! He came out unscathed with nary a bruise on his face!

Quote:

3) I hope you realize Manny just fought a guy who's 5 inches taller and weighed almost 20 lbs heavier on fight night. There's a reason weight classes in boxing, wrestling, MMA exist.

So what would be the problem with fighting Martinez? He's 1 inch shorter than Margarito and weighed only 3 more pounds than Margarito did last night when he fought Pavlik at Middleweight. I'm pretty sure if he were to fight Manny at Jr. Middleweight he'd come in about the same weight as Margarito or most likely lighter.

Oh, I see what the problem is. He would actually pose a real threat. Yeah, we would never want that. Nah, all the fans much prefer tailor-made opponents.

Quote:
But anyways congrats to the Catchweight King Pacquiao. Its not like Henry Armstrong, Ray Robinson, Ray Leonard, Hearns, JCC, Oscar DLH, Roy Jones, or Hopkins ever fought catchweights. All of these boxers have never asked for catchweight, never. These are real boxers.

Hmm... nice list there, but I don't recall mentioning anything about the catchweight in my original post.
I'm pretty sure my gripe was with him winning a title against an opponent that has no business getting a title shot at that weight class.

So forgive me for suggesting that Manny fight a real challenge for a 154 lb. title match. I didn't know that would be an offensive remark. We gotta make sure Pacquiao keeps having favorable matchups and keeps collecting more belts at higher weight classes! Let's bulk Margarito and Cotto up a couple more pounds and find a vacant Middleweight title that Pacquiao can fight them for! That's what we fans wanna see!
[ Edited by silkyjohnson on Nov 14, 2010 at 9:56 AM ]
like Manny and think Mayweather's a douche, but I don't understand this. Maybe there's some part of this that I'm either missing or not aware about.

Because it's not needed.

Mayweather knows that Pacquiao is not going to agree to it and so Mayweather is using the "Drug Test" as a reason that Pacquaio doesn't want to fight him.

Mayweather didn't ask for a Drug Test on his previous fights, so why is he asking for one from Pacquiao? They both get tested prior the bout and right after anyway...

Maybe it's not needed, but it's also not a big deal. If Manny's legit, all he has to do is get some blood drawn and then Mayweather has no choice but to fight him. It seems like Pacquiao is the one that's dodging Mayweather, not the other way around.

And like I said...I like Manny and would be rooting for him to beat Mayweather's ass. I get the feeling that if the roles were reversed, the Pacquiao fans would be all over Mayweather for not being willing to do this.

This is an extremely weak reason for two all-time greats to not fight in their primes.

I totally agree.

I hear the arguement that Manny is the "draw" here and not Mayweather, and so therefore Manny should be the one to dictate the terms. But I agree with you, that they should just do WHATEVER each other wants to do (that's within reason) prior to the fight and just do it.

Hmm... hasn't Mayweather disproved this time and time again?

Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Not to sound like a hater, even though nobody's brought it up, but his 8th title in his 8th weight class or whatever doesn't seem legit to me. What has Margo done to be considered a light middleweight contender? Not a damn thing. If you wanna add one to the history books, make it legit, fight a current 154 title holder or at least somebody considered a contender in that weight class. Big Bob threw the belt in there just because he can. Oh well. The fight went pretty much as I expected. I figured it would end in a late KO/stoppage or a wide UD in Manny's favor, I knew Margo's chin would carry him thru most of the fight.

I don't wanna sound like I'm undermining Manny's talents, the dude's gifted, and he could probably beat any of the other 154 title holders. But I would love to see him take on a real challenge, one where it makes you scratch your noggin and think twice when trying to predict it. I would love to see him go up against Martinez, enough of this Top Rank stable crap. I know Bob's just milking his roster, and he's within his right to, but come on! Make Manny work for it!

I know, I know, Mayweather, etc... but I'm not talking about Mayweather I'm merely just ranting as a boxing fan about how titles have become insignificant now-a-days I guess, but yet when you look back at the history books, they'll still show up as if they mean something.

/end rant

1) ohh yes 8 division titles in 8 different weight classes is not much of an accomplishment at all, considering all the of the other boxers in history who have done it. yeah

2) ohh yes, Sergio Martinez is the one fighter that will elevate Manny's status. Look at the list of nobodies on Manny's resume: Morales, Barrera, Marquez, De La Hoya, Hatton, Cotto, and Margarito. Yes, Sergio Martinez would be the most accomplished fighter on Manny's resume. Why stop there? Let's get Lucian Bute, and Andre Ward. Hell, let's throw Manny through the Super 6. Maybe Hopkins will fight him too. Hey Vladimir and Vitale, I think you should fight Manny. Yes, let's have a guy who's maxed out his body at 145lbs continue pushing his body because I'm a hater.

But back to Martinez, this guy would be a perfect opponent considering he already lost to Margarito and got a draw versus the P4P king, Kermit Cintron.

3) I hope you realize Manny just fought a guy who's 5 inches taller and weighed almost 20 lbs heavier on fight night. There's a reason weight classes in boxing, wrestling, MMA exist.

But anyways congrats to the Catchweight King Pacquiao. Its not like Henry Armstrong, Ray Robinson, Ray Leonard, Hearns, JCC, Oscar DLH, Roy Jones, or Hopkins ever fought catchweights. All of these boxers have never asked for catchweight, never. These are real boxers.

LOL! I enjoyed the sarcasm. Silky is a known FMJ fanboy and defends him even though he's ducked Manny twice and would rather beat up a woman instead. Heck, even ESPN called Mayweather out on his cowardice. You get used to his hatred of Pac-man after a while no matter how much he's accomplished.

Don't get it confused. I'm a fan of what he does in the ring. What he does in his personal life is really none of my business. And I am definitely not in favor of domestic abuse.

And it's not hatred for Pac, I'm just debating. It's all in good fun. It's funny how riled up ya'll can get though.
When did Floyd actually beat a woman?

My understanding was that Manny agreed to whatever test

but he didn't want to draw blood/do test a week before the fight, as Manny feels it weakens him. Manny would be fine doing a test anytime prior to a week before the fight or right after.

hell, not even week

Quote:
Pacquiao trainer Freddie Roach said his fighter is willing to comply with strict drug-testing standards, but Roach won’t allow Pacquiao to have blood drawn 48 hours before the fight.

Mayweather still said "f**k that"!
Originally posted by ads_2006:

My understanding was that Manny agreed to whatever test

but he didn't want to draw blood/do test a week before the fight, as Manny feels it weakens him. Manny would be fine doing a test anytime prior to a week before the fight or right after.

hell, not even week

Quote:
Pacquiao trainer Freddie Roach said his fighter is willing to comply with strict drug-testing standards, but Roach won’t allow Pacquiao to have blood drawn 48 hours before the fight.

Mayweather still said "f**k that"!

Wow I didn't know Manny was cool with 48 hours, if that's the case then yeah, Floyd is done.
It's obvious that PBF is pulling a Sugar Ray vs Hagler.

He's waiting until he gets older, frustrated and rested.

Then he'll call him out.

PBF is still one of the best fighters in the world.
Share 49ersWebzone