There are 217 users in the forums

MMA vs Boxing question

MMA vs Boxing question

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
And again I'd like to point out that De La Hoya was a superstar in 1995. He was named Ring Magazine's Fighter of the Year that year. They don't give that award to just anyone. Roy Jones won the year before, Evander Holyfield the year after.

No he was not. A superstar is a recognized household name. Before he fought Chavez, the average person couldn't tell you who the hell he was. But even then people refused to acknowledge him after beating Chavez twice because the legend was in his last legs. If I had to pick a point where he became a superstar and was able to carry an event on his own, it would be the Trinidad fight.

Wow I could've sworn I thought you said "If it ain't a WBC, WBO, WBA, or IBF belt, its just a paper belt". Well he was the "WBO Super feather weight and light weight champion" in 1994, how does that not make you a Super star???

Jan Zaveck is the welterweight IBF title holder. Is he a superstar?

In your opinion why isn't he?? Define your version of super star, I mean, does the guy have to be in a movie or something to convince you?? Obviously its hard for you to agree about anything when debating with MMA fans. Let me ask you are you from Slovenia??

Strictly speaking from current active fighters a superstar to me would be the likes of Mayweather, Pacquiao, Hatton, Klitschko bros., B-Hop, maybe Cotto, JMM, Mosley... people I would consider stars but not quite superstars would be the likes of Juanma Lopez, Gamboa, Amir Khan, Canelo Alvares, the Super Six participants, Lucian Bute, Sergio Martinez, Margarito, Donaire, I could go on forever. A step down from that I would have Arreola, Valuev, Koki Kameda, Rocky Juarez, Funeka, Humberto Soto, Librado Andrade, etc... and then you got the rest of the pack... I would probably put zaveck in that 3rd list.

I would say Oscar was a lightly known star until he fought Chavez, I'm having a hard time even considering him a star up til that point. And even then his recognition jumped tenfold because of who he fought (Chavez). Don't get me wrong, he had the credentials but without Chavez on his resume, it would have taken him a lot longer to get to the point where he could sell PPV's like hot cakes.
Here's your answer once and for all...Vitali Klitschko vs. Brock Lesnar

Vitali was a professional kickboxer, holds the highest KO% at 95% in the HW boxing ranks, only 2 losses (and both were questionable), at 6'8, 250 his reach vs. Brock would be ridiculous. He also has a PHD in sports science so he would know exactly how to prepare for an MMA match.

Anyway...because of all these credentials I say Vitali clips Brock 4 times out of 10 MMA matches and he destroys Brock 10 times out of 10 boxing matches.

The boxer defeats the MMA fighter 14-6 :P
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Hollywood49er:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Pacquio vs GSP

GSP would lose

Boxers train for 12 rounds

MMA......3

That's as credible as me saying Anderson Silva would KO every middle weight in boxing.

LOL Old ass B-Hop would rock Silvas World. Silva has dodged a Boxing Fight with Old Man Roy Jones Jr. for like 3 years. MMA is Gay.

Get your facts straight. Silva has announced publicly about fighting Jones in a boxing match but both Jones and Dana White refused to have it happen.

I don't know where you get off saying s**t like this when they aren't true. Your "facts" in MMA not growing is false and you have yet to prove me wrong with any significant link saying their numbers have gone down.

Serves me right for arguing with a Dodger fan.

For real. He throws out wild claims, can't back them up, then reverts to insults when evidence is presented which counteracts his stance.

It's pretty clear who's acting like the real fan boy here.

You want links here is one
Link
Please provide me a link where Roy Jones backed out of fighting Silva. Pretty Please.
MMA Fan Boys are a joke just like the sport. Sixth you are embarassing yourself

Yeah, approx $26 million in PPV sales alone (570,000 buys), not to mention what the big-time sponsors spend to advertise. Sounds like the PPV was a giant failure.

Despite this, the PPV was expected to gross more. I think that goes to show none of the MMA fans "got their vaginas moist" (silky ) over a boxer crossing over, since the Couture vs Toney fight was a major selling point for that PPV.

BTW, Oscar De La Hoya is boxing's all-time PPV attraction - he's garnered 12.6 million buys over 18 events - if you do the math, that's 700,000 buys per event.
http://boxing.about.com/od/history/a/payperview.htm

UFC 116 did about 1.28 million in buys. Pacquiao vs De La Hoya did 1.25

In 2009, UFC had 6 of the top 10 PPV draws, with 3 of them earning higher buy rates than an average De La Hoya fight.

http://www.watchkalibrun.com/2010/2/17/1314581/ufc-dominates-pay-per-view

Yeah, UFC sure looks like it's doing poorly in PPV sales in compared to boxing.

Well sure if you take ALL of Oscar's PPV fights his avg won't look very good... Oscar wasn't a megastar the whole time, that s**t takes time to build.

And come on, you know that Toney/Couture fight got plenty of buzz. Hell some of you thought Toney stood a chance.

And take away WWF superstar Brock Lesnar, the guy that "mma purists" detest because it waters down their sport or some s**t, and there goes more than half of UFC's million ppv buy fights.

De La Hoya was 17-0 (15 KO) and the WBO lightweight champion when he faced 40-1 IBF lightweight champion Rafael Ruelas in a unification bout for his first PPV event. This after winning Olympic Gold in Barcelona in 1992. He was The Ring's Fighter of the Year in 1995. He was all over the place in 1995. He was definitely a superstar at the time of his first few PPV fights.

Star in the making, maybe. Superstar, no. You usually gotta get a big name under your belt before the torch is passed on to you. Boxing doesn't work like UFC, you gotta build fighters. You can't just stick a sideshow freak in there (a la Lesnar) and expect him to dominate the top competition in the sport.

PWND

Not really. When you're undefeated lightweight champion with Olympic Gold and the Main Event of a PPV boxing fight, you're a superstar. 330,000 buys is nothing to scoff at. Pacquiao vs Barrera II drew in about 350,000 and both were considered boxing superstars at the time.

naw, he got you on that one.

Brock Lesnar - former WWF guy

gets a title shot in 3 UFC fights?

That's the guy that finally put the UFC over the 1 million ppv numbers?

3 fights?

winner by TKO
Team boxing

PWNAGE

Let me show what pwnage actually looks like:

WRONG.

THIS is pwnage

Dunleavy getting super kicked never gets old.

the look on his face is priceless

damn, he got sweet chin music
And again I'd like to point out that De La Hoya was a superstar in 1995. He was named Ring Magazine's Fighter of the Year that year. They don't give that award to just anyone. Roy Jones won the year before, Evander Holyfield the year after.

No he was not. A superstar is a recognized household name. Before he fought Chavez, the average person couldn't tell you who the hell he was. But even then people refused to acknowledge him after beating Chavez twice because the legend was in his last legs. If I had to pick a point where he became a superstar and was able to carry an event on his own, it would be the Trinidad fight.

Wow I could've sworn I thought you said "If it ain't a WBC, WBO, WBA, or IBF belt, its just a paper belt". Well he was the "WBO Super feather weight and light weight champion" in 1994, how does that not make you a Super star???

And the IBF and WBO lightweight champion after his first PPV. The only U.S. boxer to bring home Olympic Gold in 92. And all over the media by '95.... voted Fighter of the Year by Ring Magazine that year, but that's not a superstar cuz silky says so.

[ Edited by TheSixthRing on Sep 8, 2010 at 21:13:49 ]
wow cant believe this debate is still goin. yo the op's question is like askin can a track star beat jerry rice as a wr in a game of football. the sport of mma is essentially a street fight minus certain strikes where the structure of boxing is limiting. thus odds are mma wins. would a straight bjj fighter beat an mma fighter in a street fight? same answer...jiujitsu would only bring one dimension to a fight. but in no way idoes this taking anything away from the integrity of boxing, bjj, or any other facet of mixed martial arts.

how about this perspective...can an mma fighter can beat a boxer, bjj, etc at their respective art? ie gsp vs. pacquiao? spider vs. cung le? (this oughtta be interesting)

And the IBF and WBO lightweight champion after his first PPV. The only U.S. boxer to bring home Olympic Gold in 92. And all over the media by '95.... voted Fighter of the Year by Ring Magazine that year, but that's not a superstar cuz silky says so.

maybe your definition of superstar is different than mine? go look at my list up above and tell me you would actually put pre-Chavez DLH's name with the likes of Mayweather or Pacquiao. I'm sorry but all opponents he faced pre-Chavez were very forgettable names. Accomplishments in boxing don't really mean squat until you start beating the big names. And medalling in the olympics hardly ever translates to superstardom and it doesn't even guarantee success in the pros.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_boxing#Lightweight

How many of those medallists do you honestly recognize from their pro career?
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Here's your answer once and for all...Vitali Klitschko vs. Brock Lesnar

Vitali was a professional kickboxer, holds the highest KO% at 95% in the HW boxing ranks, only 2 losses (and both were questionable), at 6'8, 250 his reach vs. Brock would be ridiculous. He also has a PHD in sports science so he would know exactly how to prepare for an MMA match.

Anyway...because of all these credentials I say Vitali clips Brock 4 times out of 10 MMA matches and he destroys Brock 10 times out of 10 boxing matches.

The boxer defeats the MMA fighter 14-6 :P

yes but you are taking somebody who transitioned from one type of fighting to another, which in turn makes him MMA. he has more than a basic knowledge of another type of fighting, if you catch my meaning.

where as if you manny pac or mayweather and let them train a few months to counter takedowns and what not, while the MMA guy trains to box a little.

a quick knockout artist would stand a chance, tyson in his prime( as mentioned earlier). but a points guy like mayweather is going to lose

the boxer is going to be able to land 1 maybe 2 clean blows, does he make them count, can the MMA guy take them and keep his wits enough to finish the shoot? once it is on the ground the boxer will lose 99 out of 100 times.
Share 49ersWebzone