Not a member? Register Now!

*** San Jose Sharks 2010-11 Pacific Div. Champs Off-season Thread ***

Andrew Murray

4th liners ahl material
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Quote:
Blues sign Jonathan Cheechoo

ST. LOUIS (AP)—The Blues have signed forward Jonathan Cheechoo(notes) to a one-year contract.

The 30-year-old Cheechoo has been in the American Hockey League the last two seasons. He had 18 goals and 29 assists in 55 games last season with the Worcester Sharks.

In seven NHL seasons with the Sharks and Senators, the 6-foot-1, 200-pound Cheechoo has 305 points and 325 penalty minutes in 501 games. He was a second-round pick of the Sharks in the 1998 draft.

Good signing? Or does he not have it anymore?
Originally posted by jrg:
Quote:

ST. LOUIS (AP)—The Blues have signed forward Jonathan Cheechoo(notes) to a one-year contract.

The 30-year-old Cheechoo has been in the American Hockey League the last two seasons. He had 18 goals and 29 assists in 55 games last season with the Worcester Sharks.

In seven NHL seasons with the Sharks and Senators, the 6-foot-1, 200-pound Cheechoo has 305 points and 325 penalty minutes in 501 games. He was a second-round pick of the Sharks in the 1998 draft.

Well, he totally lost his scoring touch, that's for sure.

He will give you 100% each shift. Total energy player. So take that for what it's worth I guess.

Good guy on the 4th line perhaps.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaManRathman:
Quote:

He will give you 100% each shift. Total energy player. So take that for what it's worth I guess.

Ah, so nothing to be too excited about?
Quote:

Ah, so nothing to be too excited about?

Well, perhaps the new environment and the right line combo, he could put up some points. Obviously he'll never win another Rocket Richard trophy, but he must still have enough in the tank to be decent.

He's not going to put a team over the hump by any means. So yeah, probably nothing to get too excited about. He was a fan fave in SJ, so I imagine SL will take a liking to him as well. Great personality and effort.
Quote:

Great 3rd liner if he can stay healthy. He can score, provide energy, and be physical. May not have the foot speed anymore, but has everything else. The heart, the grit, the goal scoring ability -- it'll show itself.

At worst, he'll be a 4th liner.
Quote:

Hands of a Scorer

Heart of a Lion

Feets of a Moose (not good for sports)
So, just a thought... We have currently on the roster a guy who I have to believe we want to keep around for a long time -- Brent Burns -- and a lot of other solid defenders. What I'm wondering is when we plan on pulling up Doherty and Petrecki for significant time.

Overall, we've got..

Burns - All Star player who we better keep or else it's a horrifically bad trade.

Vlasic - Great defenseman, still young and able to get better and better.

Murray - Just a monster, hope he stays a Sharks forever, very solid defensive dman.

Boyle - Another all star defenseman, getting a little older now in his mid-30s (35), but should be good for another 2-3 years at least.

Demers - VERY good young player who is continues to make enormous strides in his play. Losing him in the playoffs hurt us DEARLY. I consider him a top 4 dman now.

Braun - A pretty promising rookie defenseman who showed some glimpses but definitely looked lost in the playoffs. Still has much to learn and a lot to improve on -- he HAS to improve his positioning and discipline.

Vandermeer - Hard hitting player who is unlikely to play every game in the 3rd defensive pair, with us wanting to get Braun and Petrecki some playing time this year probably. Only has a one-year deal, so unless he is amazing, he won't be back the following year since we'll want to bring up the young guys.

------------------------------------

Overall, my guess is that this season we'll see Braun and Petrecki both play some NHL games. Despite Petrecki being a former 1st rounder.. whoever plays best this year will likely start next year.

I think they'll stick Doherty in Worcester for a full year at least, like they did Petrecki, before giving him any NHL time. Not sure he'll be ready until then.
Mashinter beatdowns:

Sharks sign center: http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=569663

What will Andrew Murray's role be?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Sharks sign center: http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=569663

What will Andrew Murray's role be?

4th line vet presence I would assume.
Still wondering if we plan on replacing Wellwood or if we just assume Ferriero can take over on the 3rd line.

How do the lines even look with Havlat now?

Marleau-Thornton-Couture
Clowe-Pavelski-Havlat
Ferriero-Handzus-Mitchell
McGinn-Desjardins-Murray/Mashinter ?
Still wondering if we plan on replacing Wellwood or if we just assume Ferriero can take over on the 3rd line.

Marleau-Thornton-Couture
Clowe-Pavelski-Havlat

I'd be surprised if they assume Ferriero can fill the role on the 3rd line. I don't think Wilson is done making moves yet.
Quote:

he sucks. he's like the derek anderson of hockey. get ready for all the middle aged women to swoon and declare him the sexiest thing on the planet.

men do not wear cheechoo jerseys. that's on par with liking the twilight series.

Marleau-Thornton-Couture
Clowe-Pavelski-Havlat

I'd be surprised if they assume Ferriero can fill the role on the 3rd line. I don't think Wilson is done making moves yet.

no doubt. dw is watching arbitration closely from what i've heard. i think we still have about 5 million in cap space, so we easily have enough to make 1-2 more significant signings.