There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

*** San Jose Sharks 2010-11 Pacific Div. Champs Off-season Thread ***

Ferriero re-signs. Solid 4th liner who can chip in 3rd line time if needed.

Also signed veteran Ben Guite? http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=568951 Don't know much about him.
So we're only two months away from pre-season. And only one month away from NFL pre-season.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Ferriero re-signs. Solid 4th liner who can chip in 3rd line time if needed.

Also signed veteran Ben Guite? http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=568951 Don't know much about him.

AHL team needs players too
Cheechoooooooooooo

He signed with the Blues. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=569185&navid=mod-rr-headlines
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Where's OTC & Darth & NickV? THoughts guys?

I was suprised by the trade, but I was happy we got rid of Heatley because he wasn't worth the production that we were getting from him for the salary that he was receiving. We got some and lost some on this trade:

-- Heatley was willing to mix it up by being more physical than Havlat (someone had the stats earlier for hits made by both players). That should mean that we shouldn't expect a whole lot of defense from Havlat.
-- Heatley was supposed to be a sniper, but I didn't see that much of it while he was with the Sharks (probably because our two scoring lines were pretty much balanced).
-- Havlat has more speed than Heatley and can score during transition, which I think will be an asset now that we have two puck-moving defensemen in Boyle and Burns.
-- I personally think that Havlat is a less physical, left-handed version of.... Devon Setoguchi.

I like the trade because the expected production should now equal the salary. But money=production doesn't really win championships now does it...

It allows you guys to keep your team intact next year.

And Heatley has been a major disappointment when it counts. Havlat has a cup, and that experience is invaluable.

Its a good move by SJ.

Handzus? Waste of money.

Was gonna post the same exact thing. Especially the lack of good minutes Heater gave us when we really needed him to step it up.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Im still irked that we didnt keep Ian White
Originally posted by NickV:

why? we didn't need 4 PMD.
still kinda pissed we gave up Seto when he was one of our best performers in the playoffs. atleast we got someone good in return.
GO SHARKS

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
still kinda pissed we gave up Seto when he was one of our best performers in the playoffs. atleast we got someone good in return.

other than that overtime goal in the huge comeback against the kings and the detroit series he didnt show much imo, i wouldve still traded the inconsistent guchi for a legit #1-2 dman
Originally posted by Hopper:

Would've given us a 8-deep defensive front. An all-star defense with incredible depth.
Originally posted by Hopper:

Would've given us a 8-deep defensive front. An all-star defense with incredible depth.

It also would've left us less cash to fix our weak third line.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

other than that overtime goal in the huge comeback against the kings and the detroit series he didnt show much imo, i wouldve still traded the inconsistent guchi for a legit #1-2 dman

He may not have lit it up points wise, but make no mistake, Seto was CONSISTENTLY creating scoring chances and getting in deep helping make plays. He was outstanding in the playoffs, even if the stats don't show it.

I'll miss him dearly, but if Burns can dominate and play at the same level in the playoffs as Seto did, I will be okay. As far as Heater though, good riddance. I know he's great on the PP and a far better goal scorer than Havlat, but he didn't have the speed or playmaking ability we needed to beat Vancouver.

On a sidenote, our new FA players have chosen numbers:

#26 for Handzus
#24 for Havlat
# 2 for Vandermeer

He may not have lit it up points wise, but make no mistake, Seto was CONSISTENTLY creating scoring chances and getting in deep helping make plays. He was outstanding in the playoffs, even if the stats don't show it.

I'll miss him dearly, but if Burns can dominate and play at the same level in the playoffs as Seto did, I will be okay. As far as Heater though, good riddance. I know he's great on the PP and a far better goal scorer than Havlat, but he didn't have the speed or playmaking ability we needed to beat Vancouver.

#26 for Handzus
#24 for Havlat
# 2 for Vandermeer

exactly, Seto was making plays off the puck to set up others and he did get plenty of points in the playoffs this year. he, marleau, jumbo, couture and pavs were the hardest workers by far, not named niemi. hopefully Burns can help protect our goalie a lot more than they did last year in the playoffs, Niemi shouldnt have to make 50 saves a night on a playoff team.

#26 for Handzus
#24 for Havlat
# 2 for Vandermeer

exactly, Seto was making plays off the puck to set up others and he did get plenty of points in the playoffs this year. he, marleau, jumbo, couture and pavs were the hardest workers by far, not named niemi. hopefully Burns can help protect our goalie a lot more than they did last year in the playoffs, Niemi shouldnt have to make 50 saves a night on a playoff team.

Bingo. We need our defense to protect at a very high level, and we also need our forwards to play stellar defensively.